Please help me decide: Cooper STC or BFG AT (1 Viewer)

Which allrounder 235/85R16s for BJ42 Stocker Touring

• BFG T/A KO

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • Cooper St-C

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Choose something else - please comment...

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sourcepoint.com.au
I was thinking of a narrower, military style tyre like the Sime for my BJ42 but think that despite the good looks they will not really do what I want.

Basically an allrounder - on road, dirt road, sand and light mud, easy rock crawling - ie nothing extreme but good, balanced allround capability when aired down around 15-18psi and quiet enough and speed rated for highway and about town daily driving and touring.

So it seems to be coming down to:

a set of 5 x 235/85R16s which will give me around 31-32 inches outside rolling diameter and suitable length in the gearing (stock 4.11) for my unmodified BJ42 whilst still fitting within the wheel arches at modest flex etc - might have to add small flare extensions.

BFG T/A KO
all-terrain-t-a-ko.jpg

or

Cooper ST-C
ST-C.jpg

Other ideas - they are both pretty expensive but my experience with BFG makes me lean very favourably toward them.

Will

I've had good luck with both BFGs and Coopers, they both look good on a stock cruiser, I'd go with which ever you can find the best price on.

i have 31 BFG AT on my S-10.. they are great on the road. i drive on the highway at 75 mph and trust me the last thing that is making noise is the tires, they don't wander or feel unsafe - haven't done any hard core wheeling but they are a blast in the snow and in shallow mud/dirt

X2 GUS - - - Both great tires. I have the BFG 31 X 10.5's on mine. And a pic to show ya.

Last edited:
Tires

I have used both. The Coopers gave longer thread life on the highway. We were having some blasting done to level a building lot and the company had 3 trucks all with Yokohoma Geolanders and I inquired about them. The owner said his work took him over some really rough terraine and over the past 25 years he had tried them all and the Geos gave the best service all around.

BFG is a good tire I have had bad exp. with cooper tires

Same here. I run the BFG ATs on my Toy mini and have had others in the past, but they run great, last a long time and do very well on hard packed snow and ice. They also do well offroad in light mud and sand. Not so hot in the mud and they have a tendency to hydroplane at highway speeds.

I had a set of the Coopers on my old 1990 K1500 pickup and wore them out in 2 years. I won't buy another set of Coopers.

BFG AT gets my vote, IMO it's not even a contest. :cheers:

Edit: when the tires on my Dodge wear out, they're getting replaced with BFG ATs, also.

Last edited:
Got close to 70,000 miles out of my BFG ATs on the Tacoma. Had a balance problem with 2 of them when new. Costco replaced, and no more problems.

Can't speak for the Coopers.

I have run BFG ATs on my Taco for years now without any issues. They are great in snow, rain, sand, rocks, etc.

I will keep buying them.

I have BFGs on my rigs. I have never had a problem, although they are not my DDs. I really like them and would buy another set.

probaly both are close in performance,

buy whats cheaper and use the money on other mods

I have been very happy with the BFG's. I had one set last me through 3 trucks.

go to the tire shop and ask to see one of each in person off a rim. Take a gook look at the casing and the quality of construction. Feel them in your hands. I think you'll buy the bfg's.

X3 BFG. I have 33 12.50 on my dd and absolutley love them. Look good too!!

Costco in my area carries BFG's

Find someone who will price match +x% (like sears) and buy them from them ;)

PS +1 for the BFG's, I run their muds and all terrains and find them rock solid.

Hi All:

I have to vote for the Coopers.

Currently both my daily driver (ATs) and my trail rig (MTs) run BF Goodrich tires. I think these are really good tires.

But, I have friends that have run different model Coopers on their Land Cruisers and have been happy with 'em.

Also, between the two tires, the Cooper ST-C has a more aggressive tread than the BFG AT.

Regards,

Alan

Hi All,

My vote would be for the BFG's. I have a set on my toyota truck, and even on my honda CRV that have 81,000 on them and I'm going to buy another pair this summer, unless the 35" MTR's make it on the cruiser instead. :D

I was thinking of a narrower, military style tyre like the Sime for my BJ42 but think that despite the good looks they will not really do what I want.

Basically an allrounder - on road, dirt road, sand and light mud, easy rock crawling - ie nothing extreme but good, balanced allround capability when aired down around 15-18psi and quiet enough and speed rated for highway and about town daily driving and touring.

So it seems to be coming down to:

a set of 5 x 235/85R16s which will give me around 31-32 inches outside rolling diameter and suitable length in the gearing (stock 4.11) for my unmodified BJ42 whilst still fitting within the wheel arches at modest flex etc - might have to add small flare extensions.
Other ideas - they are both pretty expensive but my experience with BFG makes me lean very favourably toward them.

Will

I've run both on my 40 here in southern Arizona and I like both. The main difference I found was that the Cooper tires have more wax in them and do not dry out and start to crack as fast as the BFG tires do. The sun here in Tucson really cooks tires and skin. Tucson has the highest rate of skin cancer of any city in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom