Builds Oman -> SoCal 1995 FZJ75 Troopy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get a troopy from Oman they said. It will be fun they said.

Need a new birf for sure. This one is probably made in China.

Who said that?!?

Granted, for a lot of us on this forum what you're doing now is considered good fun.

That's an OEM birf.

Who said that?!?

Granted, for a lot of us on this forum what you're doing now is considered good fun.

That's an OEM birf.
I said it myself, and I'm honestly having a great time.

Got a boatload of parts on order to rebuild one knuckle and essentially start from scratch on the drivers side.

Started pulling the carpet like headliner and found why the roof is leaking!

This vehicle used to be an ambulance or police car, it's got a "siren" switch on the dash.

439ABD8E-6A66-45E0-AC05-E0C069E499CE.jpeg

98E175F2-BE9D-4980-ABCA-0D5307F4C411.jpeg

BA766719-89B8-4AF4-BC43-221EDA0716D6.jpeg

30B34CD3-AB34-4788-A3EB-5D03DBAC0694.jpeg

Gotta love the OEM knob for the rear AC. Ha!
Which there is no ducting for, or anything else that I've been able to find. Every day continues to be an adventure!

Which there is no ducting for, or anything else that I've been able to find. Every day continues to be an adventure!
It was likely removed... the OEM rear AC was located inside one of the rear body cavities behind a panel. I've not seen an OEM rear AC in any Omani Troopy... but plenty of the aftermarket hack jobs (like what mine used to have).

Well, took the plunge today on a radiator. Hoping that the radiator that megazip said they had in stock is actually there. Part#16400-66021 and we'll see if it fits. Recommendations for coolant? OEM Toyota?

You can red (or orange) Toyota or just go green. The 1FZ isn't picky. Just make sure the system is flushed really well as they don't all mix with each other.
The good news is my current radiator is filled with water! The bad news is it's full of water.

How many gallons am I going to need for a full flush and fill?

Passenger side knuckle rebuilt. Put in new brake hoses, rotors, wheel lugs, and changed from non-locking hubs to locking hubs.

Have new tie rod ends to put on, new calipers, and new pads.

2CF1FAF3-ED8C-4409-AA9B-2C9339629846.jpeg

2A1D1490-2CD0-4433-9C91-FFB079B2EB22.jpeg

Put on the new calipers and pads. Couldn't fit any shims or anti squeal shims with how new both the pads and rotors are. Did I do this wrong?

Brakes:

Tube, Wheel Cylinder, Front Lh No.1, Toyota 47343-60021

Tube, Wheel Cylinder, Front Rh No.1, Toyota 47341-60031

2x Hose, Flexible, No.1(For Front), Toyota 96940-39855

2x Tube, Front Brake, No.3, Toyota 47314-60190

2x 4351260100 Disc Brake Rotor (Front)

Calipers
RAYBESTOS FRC10087N
RAYBESTOS FRC10088N

Pads: AKEBONO ACT436

Knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiserteq (manual hubs, what I converted mine to):

Manuel hubs from Cruiserteq:

You'll need the cone washers, regular washers, and nuts for the manual hubs, but otherwise a super easy conversion.

47FC3240-E19F-47A6-97DA-489C4B8711DA.jpeg

619E3332-55D3-4993-A56F-43D823A3A4D4.jpeg

What did you do about the hole in the knuckle and spindle differences? Kinda important.

And yes, you should be able to put shims in no problem.

What did you do about the hole in the knuckle and spindle differences? Kinda important.

And yes, you should be able to put shims in no problem.

Unsure about what knuckle hole and spindle differences you're referencing. Is this in relation to the brake calipers?

And I'll remove the caliper and install shims, this is why I ask questions.

Well, took the plunge today on a radiator. Hoping that the radiator that megazip said they had in stock is actually there. Part#16400-66021 and we'll see if it fits. Recommendations for coolant? OEM Toyota?

Got notified today that this item is "unavailable" now. Looks like the unobtanium search continues.

Got notified today that this item is "unavailable" now. Looks like the unobtanium search continues.
I'd say you need to find a quality old-school radiator shop to have the one you've got recored and repaired. My dad just had his '69 FJ55 radiator recored and modified to fit his 3FE install... and the old school shop here in Phoenix did an amazing job. It'll cost you, but it'll be done right.

I'd say you need to find a quality old-school radiator shop to have the one you've got recored and repaired. My dad just had his '69 FJ55 radiator recored and modified to fit his 3FE install... and the old school shop here in Phoenix did an amazing job. It'll cost you, but it'll be done right.
This is definetly something I'm considering. My only concern right now is the top tank and sides of my current radiator are pretty mangled. If I cannot find something that is plug and play soon I will take my current radiator to a shop here in SoCal for a full custom build replacement.

Paul, the wheels turned out amazing! I'd love to see side shots with them installed. I might do the same setup on my troopy. Such a clean looking wheel. well done!

Hello,

I checked the part number.

Apparently, GCC spec trucks in the mid 1990s did not have manual hubs. That would explain, at least in part, the state of your front axle.

43530-60130 matches models built after 1999.

43530-60042 matches models built between 1990 and 1998.

Both parts are the manual hub only. The flange is slightly different between the two of them.

I would try to get 43530-60042.

43502-69026 is the sub-assembly that goes between the manual hub and the knuckle/rotor. I have to check this one.

Juan

Hi Juan,

FWIW, the stub shafts are interchangeable on 90 through 06. So if you want the auto hubs, you can also go that route by swapping the stub shafts. Personally, I'd stick with Aisin manual selectable hubs. they have been tried and tested many many years. I always add one to any of my cruisers.

Regarding why they are not on the GCC spec cars. fuel economy here is not a big deal. The dealers realized when they were speccing out the trucks that most driver's don't care for mileage and it's an extra step to do for 4WD. This also meant a lower price for the vehicle.

90% of HZJ75 GCC spec had the Aisin free wheel hubs. The dealer optioned those in for better car performance (less drag). The 79 series got the auto hubs which are terrible with the clutches in my opinion.

Paul, the wheels turned out amazing! I'd love to see side shots with them installed. I might do the same setup on my troopy. Such a clean looking wheel. well done!

Hi Juan,

FWIW, the stub shafts are interchangeable on 90 through 06. So if you want the auto hubs, you can also go that route by swapping the stub shafts. Personally, I'd stick with Aisin manual selectable hubs. they have been tried and tested many many years. I always add one to any of my cruisers.

Regarding why they are not on the GCC spec cars. fuel economy here is not a big deal. The dealers realized when they were speccing out the trucks that most driver's don't care for mileage and it's an extra step to do for 4WD. This also meant a lower price for the vehicle.

90% of HZJ75 GCC spec had the Aisin free wheel hubs. The dealer optioned those in for better car performance (less drag). The 79 series got the auto hubs which are terrible with the clutches in my opinion.

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation.

For a while I considered changing to auto hubs, but then I realized that unless you are in deep mud/water and you forgot to lock the hubs there is not much difference. So, I kept the manual hubs.

Anything that forces the clutch is better left aside.

I guess it is nice not to care about fuel mileage and keep going.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom