New IPOR Fj40 Gauge cluster alternative (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a great looking product. Certainly not for everybody and out of the price range for some. But for those with the desire and the money to spend there are quite a few great things about this setup if the info here is correct:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=674/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd923.htm

1. Closest look to stock (that I have seen) with high quality instruments backed by a nice warranty.
2. Different face and lighting options instead of one size fits all. But red and blue lighting? I'd like to see something closer to original.
3. Programmable speedo (solves the MPH issue many of us have).
4. Gets rid of the "dead" AMP gauge when running a decent size alternator.
5. Trip meter x2
6. One CAT5 cable running to the back of the display, eliminating the struggle of unhooking the f'ing speedo cable without damaging the cable or scratching the dash paint? Priceless.

That's enough for me.

I'm curious how the additional "built in" indicators (hi-beam, turn signals, parking brake) work?

I'm looking forward to a hands on impression...
prd_ssh_2426_1047.jpg

...I'm curious how the additional "built in" indicators (hi-beam, turn signals, parking brake) work?...

How they look or how they work?

This is how they look, hazards and check engine light on when I snapped the pic:

20131105_143612 (Small).jpg
(sorry, cell phone pics, should have grabbed video as they were fully animated)

Here is how they work:

20131105_164737 (Small).jpg
(Inputs for left, right, high beam as well as Check Engine, 4x4 and others :cool:)

My initial gut feeling based on the prototypes I've had my hands on, I like. I think we all wish the price as a little lower BUT as Lance (IPOR) pointed out, considering what you are getting and replacing... the value is there. Based on my conversations with Dakota Digital, KPH graphic should be a non-issue (won't be available initially, but will come if needed) and the diesel is a non-issue. You can use their DSL-2 kit which gets a tach signal from the flywheel and converts it to a pulse. Commonly used on other Land Cruiser diesel conversions, 4BT, etc. You can read more about the DSL-2 kit here: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=105/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd129.htm

Hope that helps!
20131105_143612 (Small).jpg
20131105_164737 (Small).jpg

Do I see a check engine light in the picture from the display. Seems unnecessary given the vehicle it was designed for.

Do I see a check engine light in the picture from the display. Seems unnecessary given the vehicle it was designed for.

LOL. Good point. I would totally agree except I see this product meeting the needs of a wider audience (OE powerplant as well as conversions such as 3FE/1FZFE/UZJ/LS1/LQ9/6BT/4BT/ISB...) and I don't think the check engine light is too great a burden to bear for those with stock powerplants. As an FJ40 owner I like the idea of adding the tachometer without any additional gauge clusters. Perhaps it's not for everyone, but IMHO Dakota Digital has really done a good job with this and as a long time installer of DD products I'm happy to see them support the Land Cruiser community.

Would work great for those with TBI.

I'm having a hard time understanding all of the add-ons. Do I have to mount an additional control box for every option I would like to add? Or do they just integrate it all into one from the factory? What if I want to add on later? Specifically things like boost/pyro an additional temperature readings. Also I wondered about the tac for a 5 cylinder as it only stated even number cylinder engines.

jetranger-

Any ETA for your unit?

Possibly shipping this Friday (tomorrow). I did get in on the initial pre-production run. I believe the first normal run shipment go out in Jan or Feb. I'm not sure how many pre-production units they are sending out, and if they go to vendors or not.

I will definitely be using the check engine light with my setup. I'm glad they have it.

I'm having a hard time understanding all of the add-ons. Do I have to mount an additional control box for every option I would like to add? Or do they just integrate it all into one from the factory? What if I want to add on later? Specifically things like boost/pyro an additional temperature readings. Also I wondered about the tac for a 5 cylinder as it only stated even number cylinder engines.

Yes, each module is a separate box. They daisy-chain together to reduce wiring. You can add them at any time.

I'll update if I happen to get one next week.

Wish this was around when i built my cluster.. Awesome and totally worth the price.. Do the math.. Upgradable, adjustable, new, check engine light, turn signals.. volt meter.. all stuff i added to my existing cluster and it may or may not work! plus i'm guessing you can get custom pulses per revolution VSS, and adjust speedometer for tire size.

My initial gut feeling based on the prototypes I've had my hands on, I like. I think we all wish the price as a little lower BUT as Lance (IPOR) pointed out, considering what you are getting and replacing... the value is there. Based on my conversations with Dakota Digital, KPH graphic should be a non-issue (won't be available initially, but will come if needed) and the diesel is a non-issue. You can use their DSL-2 kit which gets a tach signal from the flywheel and converts it to a pulse. Commonly used on other Land Cruiser diesel conversions, 4BT, etc. You can read more about the DSL-2 kit here: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=105/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd129.htm

Hope that helps!

Kurt-

Thanks for the post and pics. Answers my questions. Now just hoping for a white light option but it sounds like that is in the works.

A little too non-stock for me, but it does look nice.

...Also I wondered about the tac for a 5 cylinder as it only stated even number cylinder engines.

Did you see the DSL-2 kit from Dakota Digital linked above? It takes a flywheel signal (1-100 cylinder motor :D) and converts it to a 4 cyl. pulse, i.e. any common tach offering.

cool new product

I vote for this to be the "Best New Product of the Year", If there were one! LOL.
Yes, it is not for everyone. However, if you have ever built an FJ40 or rebuilt one you should agree that the unit is a good value for what you get.
I really like it!
Gary

Help me get my head around this. If I have a stock fj40 transfer case with a chevy v8 and 4l60e tranny, how will I go from my current mechanical speedo to a digital one?

Help me get my head around this. If I have a stock fj40 transfer case with a chevy v8 and 4l60e tranny, how will I go from my current mechanical speedo to a digital one?

Just like everyone else with a transmission and transfer case does it. The engine, transmission and transfer case don't matter. You need a signal generator attached to the speedo cable.

Backlighting Colors

So, I have been keeping an eye on this thing for some time, it looks cool, I am glad someone got a picture of the CEL and turnsignals in use at the show, I had the same question. It looks like they will be available in a few more backlighting colors according to Dakota Digital's website. It is quite expensive but it really has a lot to offer. I just can't justify spending that much, but I already have around $300 invested in probably 3 of the crappiest early FJ40 clusters out there, and currently none of them work...I may have to purchaser one of these...

It is nice if you have a 1968 like I do, I can install this and use my external Turn Indicator lights, and you wouldn't even know the new cluster had them too....
Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 11.12.45 PM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom