New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is your desire spring wise?
Well that depends on which application. A relatively short range vehicle intended more more toward extreme off-road or something driveable/tolerable for cross-country yet still accommodating for moderate off-road. At either rate the characteristics should be such that the lift height for a given weight is consistent across multiple manufacturing runs to avoid unanticipated additional modifications relative to solving driveline issues, rake, or lean. That consistency depends on maintaining spec for gauge, turn pitch, overall barrel diameter, carbon content, and management of the heat treatment during processing.

New VTs are in (144s and 145s). Front ended up exactly where I'd expect. Rear ended up about an inch high. Might pull the rear spacers if the rear doesn't settle with some driving and gear in the back.

1621558006833.png

Next to 3" Icons:
PXL_20210520_204414762.jpg

PXL_20210520_222945984.jpg

Fronts installed w/ 1" spacer

PXL_20210520_214452467.jpg

Stance w/ 1" spacers front and rear

PXL_20210520_231352729.jpg

New VTs are in (144s and 145s). Front ended up exactly where I'd expect. Rear ended up about an inch high. Might pull the rear spacers if the rear doesn't settle with some driving and gear in the back.

View attachment 2679648

Next to 3" Icons:
View attachment 2679649

View attachment 2679650

Fronts installed w/ 1" spacer

View attachment 2679651

Stance w/ 1" spacers front and rear

View attachment 2679652
Have you ever scaled it for actual axle weights? BTW nice looking rig

Have you ever scaled it for actual axle weights? BTW nice looking rig
Not yet - Want the new motor and transmission in first, since they should be lighter.

Thought about your setup last night and trying to figure how I have an extra inch of lift with just the springs alone here. One, obvious, I'm still on the light side but I think the 6" MRR's are adding another 1"-1.5" lift on the front. Set them per spec but thinking I'm on the light end of their setting so have to soften them up which probably has nothing to do with static height and, man these suckers did not like to be collapsed by hand. Pretty convinced until broken in I will be setting high. Thought it was funny that others mentioned shocks would add lift but I'm now a believer.
Not sure if the HuddExpo guys have had experience with the MRR and the VT's and have seen the same thing? Will it settle in?

Thought about your setup last night and trying to figure how I have an extra inch of lift with just the springs alone here. One, obvious, I'm still on the light side but I think the 6" MRR's are adding another 1"-1.5" lift on the front. Set them per spec but thinking I'm on the light end of their setting so have to soften them up which probably has nothing to do with static height and, man these suckers did not like to be collapsed by hand. Pretty convinced until broken in I will be setting high. Thought it was funny that others mentioned shocks would add lift but I'm now a believer.
Not sure if the HuddExpo guys have had experience with the MRR and the VT's and have seen the same thing? Will it settle in?

No direct experience with the MRR unfortunately, but I am one of the guys in the camp of "shocks can't add lift", but I am also a guy who can be swayed by solid data.

Also, we did meet with a local customer that is now on the new VT's and IMS shocks, among many other very cool mods, and I am fairly certain these new springs will net 4" on heavy rigs. I had my truck next to his (I am on tapereds) and he was about an inch higher than mine, but is also much (like hundreds) of pounds lighter than I am. Next week should be a good week for measurements for us as we will hopefully have some time to work on our own rigs.

A lot of this feels to me like the old days of " I just put my J's on my stock so why am I at 5" of lift?". We have to remember that weight matters and I really feel like the new "rule" will end up being light rig=flexi's and heavy rig=new VT's

In the process of installing C97-146/147VT's and MRA shocks - will report back on now it all works out.

Front's are In and will be doing the rears this weekend.

Unsure how to validate if I got the old VT's vs the new.

In the process of installing C97-146/147VT's and MRA shocks - will report back on now it all works out.

Front's are In and will be doing the rears this weekend.

Unsure how to validate if I got the old VT's vs the new.
If the spring wire is actually tapered at the top of the spring = old VTs. If the spring wire is uniform diameter - new VTs.

No direct experience with the MRR unfortunately, but I am one of the guys in the camp of "shocks can't add lift", but I am also a guy who can be swayed by solid data.

I just bolted up some Superior 12.8" travel front shocks in place of my tired Ironman Foam Cell Pro's. They actually did increase my ride height ~1/2" with the C97-144VT Dobinson 3" springs I installed last year. Not sure if that was due to the FCP's not being a gas shock and not wanting to extend on their own or if it's because I am running 7" lift shocks on a 3" lift. Likely both. My steering wheel is now pointing towards 1o'clock. Wondering if I should straighten it again or if they will settle down with time.

Thanks for posting up and sharing all this information, guys. I was ready some Dob's springs, and now my head is really spinning. I mean that seriously, I appreciate your posts. It's very helpful, although I'm not really sure what to order at this point. Bummer...

Thanks for posting up and sharing all this information, guys. I was ready some Dob's springs, and now my head is really spinning. I mean that seriously, I appreciate your posts. It's very helpful, although I'm not really sure what to order at this point. Bummer...
If you have a heavy truck, the Dobinsons VTs seem to work well.

We now have our second local truck with these new VT's installed and should have the 3rd one done today and then 4th done shortly after. From what we are seeing, the new VT is much better suited to a heavy rig unless you want a pretty tall lift. I can tell you however, they ride much better than to old flexi's or old VT's on these heavier rigs, even with their yellow shocks. I expect my personal rig to have right at 4" of lift with these new VT's but that is probably a week away and when I will do a lot of measuring/photos.

Again, I am betting the new "rule" will end up being light rig=flexi's and heavy rig=new VT's.

more to come.......

312AAC20-9D03-4207-AE67-EE781BE0FED1.jpeg

Both trucks are running the new coils. Left truck is @Andrew Bluemel and he has a 1” spacer in the front. My truck has 1” spacers all the way around. They ride fantastic. Shocks are the 12” travel dobinsons yellow tubes. I am around 5” of lift with the spacers.

vs 4” front flexi coils
53B72588-742A-44C7-B901-0B94B16FB74E.jpeg
907D255E-7705-4764-8C37-062402FB6793.jpeg

Can you post a pic of the front coils installed? Curious how many dead coils there are at whatever weight you're at.

I just rode in @Andrew Bluemel ’s rig. Wow.

I’ve had the 4” Flexi for 3.5 years, and just very recently replaced the rears due to sag on one side. The coils were noticeably different and corrected the issue.

My rig is “light”. I have no bumper weight (tube) and carry my spare, tools, and spares in the cargo area. Without flares, I am 25.5 hub to fender wrapped around a 38” tire at all four corners.

This new coil being a heavy duty dual rate coil is perfect. The only reason tapered coils were developed was by certain companies who couldn’t keep their dual rates from collapsing, but the Flexi are still somewhat soft.

The test ride was raging around the local mud pits without braking for big hits and undulations, and the coils kept everything in check with just the basic Dobi yellow shocks. I don’t think we’ll land on old Flexi for light rigs with if you want the lift.

On 38’s I want about 1/2” more lift and this is the ticket with a heavier rate and the major advantages of a dual rate coil. Only question I have is whether or not a longer travel setup may unseat the rear coils, because they are shorter. Andrew’s were close nearing full droop, but still ok and my shocks are a bit shorter (6” lift Foam Cell Pro).

But at the level of body control on and offroad, again, wow. You would never drive that fast on the OG Flexi, and those are excellent coils.

I have a weird feeling they cut production on the OG tapered coils because they were a pain to get consistent. I’m running the 2.5” tapered coils and I get a solid 4” with the 80 weighing 6300 lbs. I talked to one of the dobinsons reps for a month and sent him every measurement I could on the springs. He ended up telling me that the lift height I was getting was completely different than what the spring calculator predicted it should be. It seems like these spring can give anywhere from 2” to 4” of lift and despite the weight of the 80. They’re amazing springs despite getting random lift heights, I wouldn’t trade mine for anything else. But I bet they got tired of the complaints, more complicated production, and the cost🤷🏽‍♀️

I had the same problem with slinky springs of the same design and made in the same plant. My front end was something like 1.25” taller than the rear unloaded, and the front springs were mediums and rears were heavy. When I brought it up to the owner of slinky stuff he apparently didn’t have time to help or answer any questions but he had plenty of time to talk crap to me in someone else’s “help” thread for the same issue. Fortunately the vendor gave me a refund ( that was like 9 slinky dealers ago). I bought the same rear springs from dobinson and love them. Almost seems like they just match a pair up by free height and send them out the door. As long as you get a set that do what you want, they are great. I don’t like the new design as much, that’s for sure. I’ve never had any noise from mine and I beat on it. Put another pair in my lx too, but that just holds down the garage floor.

Again, I am betting the new "rule" will end up being light rig=flexi's and heavy rig=new VT's.
That's always been the rule. The 3"-3.5" VT coils were always listed for heavy loaded vehicles. Lighter rigs won't compress the coils as much and end up with more lift

That's always been the rule. The 3"-3.5" VT coils were always listed for heavy loaded vehicles. Lighter rigs won't compress the coils as much and end up with more lift
Yeah, but you know MUD:rofl:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom