My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve read through this build a couple times now and I never saw how you set up your fuel system. In an earlier post when gathering all your parts you got the V8 4Runner fuel tank, fuel evap canister, and sending unit. We’re any of those parts required/used to make the 2uz run?

20140614_210900.jpg

Freshly cut fuel tank (I got lucky, VERY clean tank inside):

20140615_170940.jpg

My helpful neighbor TIG'ing it up for me:

20140615_172747.jpg

I then had the tank dipped and sealed to plug any pinholes:

20140620_142759.jpg

Fresh coat of primer and looking good!

20140620_182249.jpg
[/QUOTE]
While the body shop had the body, I was able to spend some time on the frame. Fortunately, the Tundra engine mounts are the exact same width apart as the 40 frame is wide. But if I set the engine down on the Tundra mounts, it sat a bit low. I made some spacers and reinforced the sides of them with 1/4" steel.

I posted this picture in the first post, but this is ground zero. You can see the motor mounts:
20131105_130833.jpg

I also had to make a transmission support, as well as remake a cross member since I had to cut the factory piece out.

I temporarily supported the transmission with a piece of C-channel while making the motor mounts. To cushion the transmission, I used the OEM Toyota rubber mount.

20130915_181046_HDR.jpg

I used 2x4 boxed steel for the support:

20131012_170541_HDR.jpg

Tacked and cutting the holes for the OEM rubber mount:

20131012_184159_HDR.jpg

Welded into place:

20131021_183950_LLS.jpg

And the new cross member reshaped to go up and around the 100 series output flange:

20131021_183913_LLS.jpg

Redoing axle seals, browsing the internet, drinking a beer, and watching football. What a perfect day....

20130915_202413_HDR.jpg

Because of the size of the 100 series transfer case (the electronic actuator, to be specific), I had to clearance the transmission tunnel, as well as the fuel tank. Also, I would no longer have shifters on the floor, so I filled in the hack jobs created by the PO.

20140614_210900.jpg

Freshly cut fuel tank (I got lucky, VERY clean tank inside):

20140615_170940.jpg

My helpful neighbor TIG'ing it up for me:

20140615_172747.jpg

I then had the tank dipped and sealed to plug any pinholes:

20140620_142759.jpg

Fresh coat of primer and looking good!

20140620_182249.jpg

Speaking of wiring, Danny, here we go!

I did not want any fuses in the vehicle, only circuit breakers. There's nothing worse than not having a fuse when you need it! I also like the look of aircraft interiors with circuit breaker panels:

Bell 407 helicopter panel:
p5.jpg

I bought some circuit breakers from the company I buy all my wiring from. Anywhere from 10a to 40a.

20140117_203029.jpg

20140117_203105.jpg

I decided to make my own, so I used my metal brake and bent some aluminum and drilled holes:

20140331_215317.jpg

And powder coated to match the rest of the interior, or course:

20140407_160158.jpg

The inside of it. Circuit breakers on the inside, and relays lining the outside:

20140513_142709.jpg

The reason the sides of the panel are bent back is to hide the main piece of the electrical system. The circuit breaker panel attaches to the back panel, shown below.

Two continuous duty solenoids energize different bus bars. They are all labeled. Far left is BATT switch in ON position. Second from left is ACC position. 3rd left is constant power from main batt, 4th left is constant power from aux batt. Far right is ground bus.

The four posts on the outside corners support the circuit breaker panel:

20140513_163032.jpg

Dropping wires down to the circuit breakers.

YELLOW = Constant main batt
RED = ON position main batt
WHITE = ACCY position main batt
GREEN = Constant AUX batt

20140513_174317.jpg

Cutting to length and connecting:

20140513_175953.jpg

Circuit breakers and relays energized:

20140513_182736.jpg

20140513_182755.jpg

And, both units together and mounted on the firewall:

20140522_171311.jpg

20140506_093354_Richtone(HDR).jpg

For those of you wondering, I used these Quik-Latch.Com Your Authorized Dealer For Quik-Latch Products in anodized black to secure my door panels and circuit panel. They are awesome!

How long did it take you to build this circuit panel??

One of the best parts of my job is scouting out camping sites and off road trails while flying around. We saw this one yesterday and decided to land and check it out. Today was my day off, so we went out and found the same place! Took about 4 minutes to get there from Vegas by air, and about 40 on the ground!

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

heli3.jpg

heli4.jpg

Ha..while reading your thread I seen your selection of wiring connections , aircraft circuit breakers , switch panels and your fabrication skills . I said to myself this guy is a A&P or pilot, most likely both and works for one of the Vegas helicopter company’s .

You have done several things I am wanting to eventually do on my BJ73 . Stellar work and thought , beautiful rig!

You mentioned the short wheel base issues you didn’t like about the 40..the 73 is a nice compromise for me . No more death wobbles so far, I have a RJ70 also, and gets them on a rare occasion . When they do show up it can get a bit scary ..kinda like a bad case of ground resonance . Lol ..I crewed Hooks in the Army many years ago, great times !

Thanks for posting and I look forward to your next project should you do another .

I have read through this thread numerous times, and have plans to swap a 2UZ into my '72. You inspired me to tackle this swap. Beautiful truck, sad to see it go

I’ve read through this build a couple times now and I never saw how you set up your fuel system. In an earlier post when gathering all your parts you got the V8 4Runner fuel tank, fuel evap canister, and sending unit. We’re any of those parts required/used to make the 2uz run?

Nope, didn't need any of the OEM parts. It did throw a code because of it, but didn't effect driveability.

How long did it take you to build this circuit panel??

I think a day or two.

Ha..while reading your thread I seen your selection of wiring connections , aircraft circuit breakers , switch panels and your fabrication skills . I said to myself this guy is a A&P or pilot, most likely both and works for one of the Vegas helicopter company’s .

You have done several things I am wanting to eventually do on my BJ73 . Stellar work and thought , beautiful rig!

You mentioned the short wheel base issues you didn’t like about the 40..the 73 is a nice compromise for me . No more death wobbles so far, I have a RJ70 also, and gets them on a rare occasion . When they do show up it can get a bit scary ..kinda like a bad case of ground resonance . Lol ..I crewed Hooks in the Army many years ago, great times !

Thanks for posting and I look forward to your next project should you do another .

Thank you!

I have read through this thread numerous times, and have plans to swap a 2UZ into my '72. You inspired me to tackle this swap. Beautiful truck, sad to see it go

Glad you enjoyed it! Sometimes I miss driving it, but it was too nice to really enjoy it how I wanted, and for that, I don't miss it.

Any pics of your exhaust routing?

I love the effort put into a 76k posting...

Item Description: “You can google it...”

Haha! :rofl:

Great build and legacy @UZJ40

Don't you just love that?!

Wants $76k for a vehicle and can't even go to the trouble of cutting and pasting whats been done to it :rolleyes:

I wanted to buy this so badly from @UZJ40 when he had it up for sale. Apparently you can buy something, drive it for a year and the price goes up ... who knew

Wow...I've never seen such an awesome vehicle flipped so quickly. I was shocked when you sold it - now doubly shocked it's up for sale again. Wish I could afford it.

Wow...I've never seen such an awesome vehicle flipped so quickly. I was shocked when you sold it - now doubly shocked it's up for sale again. Wish I could afford it.
I'm not sure, but I think I big factory is probably where he lives and what he uses it for. I know he has other vehicles, and didn't really have any intention on taking it to the mountains. Maybe someone would have enjoyed it more that could use it for what it was built for.

Hi Riley, I know this fj40 is long gone but man beautifully done! Like you i am in love with fj40s, planning to start my own project. Can yo please tell me part number of Bilstein 5165's w/remote reservoirs you chose and which valving did you opt for. This will help in ordering these shocks sitting abroad. Actually do still recommend these shocks to me? Thanks

[QUOTE = "UZJ40, publicación: 10212991, miembro: 67445"]
Aqui tienes-

Básicamente hizo un soporte que se atornilla a los orificios de cierre existentes para que no se requieran orificios nuevos.

20160221_093147_Richtone(HDR).jpg

[/CITAR]

¿Hola! Cómo estás? Soy Marcos de Chile, Sudamérica, te amo por tu fj, es hermoso. Le escribo para pedirle ayuda, con respecto a la modificación de la ventana de ventilación, ¿qué actuador utilizó? ¿Era de un vehículo en particular? Me gustaría replicar lo mismo en el mío. Gracias.
excuse me my english, it's very basic

This thread is a bit unconventional, as is my build. The reason being is that the vehicle is almost complete after over 2 years of hard work on it, and I've kept the build relatively quiet. The 2UZ swap is still somewhat rare, and there's only one that I know of using the 5 speed auto transmission behind it, which was in an 80 series. The reason I didn't start a build thread long ago is because I wasn't positive the vehicle would run and operate like I intended. I also figured I'd get a lot of questions regarding the swap and I wanted to be better prepared to answer them.

Being that I'm toward the end of the project, I'm posting a before and 'current' picture, and a couple videos. I have over 500 pictures and videos, so I'll timeline the build just like any other thread so people can follow along. It will take some time to write about the progress and post all the pictures, so I'll keep updating the thread over the next couple weeks.

Anyway, enough of that.... on to the good stuff

Before picture, taken on the drive home to Boise after picking it up from Portland
bef1.jpg

Ground zero
20131105_130833.jpg

Picture taken yesterday
cr3.jpg

desert4.jpg

20151020_182326_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Driving it for the first time in 2.5 years on Jan 24, 2015

Stay tuned for updates!

Nice what type of mufflers? I;'m debating my new exhaust now.

Saludos desde Costa Rica.

Vi su proyecto Land Cruiser 2uz y me gustó mucho. También quería pedirte información sobre los actuadores de ventilación trasera, me gustaría saber cómo se instala para colocarlo en mi coche.

Gracias

Saludos desde Costa Rica.

Vi su proyecto Land Cruiser 2uz y me gustó mucho. También quería pedirte información sobre los actuadores de ventilación trasera, me gustaría saber cómo se instala para colocarlo en mi coche.

Gracias

Dan,

Yes, just LED bulbs for the front park/ind.

The two center switches are for the rear vent actuators. This is the reason I have 77+ hard top sides, I specifically wanted the vent windows. Here's a video of them in action!

I can take some measurements for you within the next few days.

Thanks!

All switches are from OTRATTW.com They have many logos on hand, but a few of them ones I wanted, I actually sent them. The options are almost endless with the types of switches, lighting, covers, etc. Look around on their website, you'll love it. My switches are laser etched Contura V's. Contrura is the same company that make the ARB locker switches.

could you return to this topic to try to identify all the how can I install this device in my windows?
from Costa Rica

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom