My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have thought about it. If I couldn't get the 2UZ to work in this thing, it would have gone towards a small diesel for sure. I have never owned a diesel vehicle, and know absolutely nothing about them, other than they are pretty straight forward. I enjoy the challenge of things that haven't been done before though, which is why I'd lean toward a 3UR. 80's and 100's are so cheap now, it would be easy to use one as a starting point. Emissions would be a pain with anything newer than a 95 though, so it would probably have to be an early model 80 series.

I don't know if you get them there, but thinking about it you should be able to, theres always the 1VD 4.5L diesel v8. the one out of the 79 series is only a single turbo and intercooler but the one out of the 200 series is a twin turbo and intercooler and is able to push a 2600kg vehicle very nicely.

I've also thought about some sort of extended cab 45, but again, I hate body work!

Ya, I'll be stealing some ideas from your 40 build on my extended cab 45 build. Those SCS wheels seem to be out of stock, maybe when they come back in stock I'll think about those.

Is it just me, or did all of Riley's pics disappear ??
Also, Riley you have a ton of great pics of the exterior but any chance you could post some pics of your interior/dash setup ?

I'm just finishing up a build of this quality on a pro touring 69' Camaro and my 73' FJ is next ... Riley your work is exceptional, I know how hard and time consuming the details are and this is second to none ... well done

Cheers
Steve

Damn, I was really hoping to use this build as a reference but now all the pics are gone ... Riley ???

Cheers
Steve

Damn, I was really hoping to use this build as a reference but now all the pics are gone ... Riley ???

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the nice comments Steve.

I use my friends image hosting site, which is free, but sometimes unreliable. I've thought about moving all of my photos somewhere else, but that would take hours! I'll try to get the pics back up today.

I have tried to take some interior shots, but they all turn out poor because of the low light, and everything in my interior is black, so it's hard to get a lot of detail. When I use a flash, it washes everything out and makes it look bad, or the reflections are distracting. I have taken all of my exterior shots with a Samsung Galaxy Note, which does ok with a lot of light, but gets really grainy with low light. I am in the market for a good DSLR so I can hopefully improve my photography!

Check back later today and all the pics should be back up.

Thanks again!

One of the best parts of my job is scouting out camping sites and off road trails while flying around. We saw this one yesterday and decided to land and check it out. Today was my day off, so we went out and found the same place! Took about 4 minutes to get there from Vegas by air, and about 40 on the ground!

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

heli3.jpg

heli4.jpg

One of the best parts of my job is scouting out camping sites and off road trails while flying around. We saw this one yesterday and decided to land and check it out. Today was my day off, so we went out and found the same place! Took about 4 minutes to get there from Vegas by air, and about 40 on the ground!

heli1.jpg

heli2.jpg

heli3.jpg

heli4.jpg

Looks great, Riley!!

But, be alert... It's awful flat... Like people have been in and out...

It looks clean... Any sign of brass out there?

It looks like some places I've seen that are frequented by target shooters... But they generally leave a mess.

Sending you a PM

My wife and I have been enjoying the nice weather around Vegas lately. Usually, we take the 40 for short trips, but anything overnight, it will be the Tacoma or 4Runner. The 40 just doesn't have the storage space without taking away the dog's area. I have decided to make a small trailer for such occasions. I want to make it very light and basic, without compromising the ability of the tow vehicle off road.

I have read through MANY trailer build threads on ExPo, and I love the off road camp trailers, but I can't see building a trailer that is only good for one purpose. I would like to build an off road utility trailer that is capable of being used as a camp trailer, so I just need to figure out how to integrate them.

I have already started ordering parts, and the first 2 came in yesterday!

It will have matching wheels, tires, tail lights, and a few other pretty cool aspects. I doubt I'll start a new thread on it since it won't be a complex build. I will instead add some trailer build details to this thread.

scsw.jpg

This is my idea also. I have a 3D model started of the trailer frame and just need to finish some of the details. Looking forward to what you come up with.

This is my idea also. I have a 3D model started of the trailer frame and just need to finish some of the details. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Feel free to share any ideas you may have...

Feel free to share any ideas you may have...
I have the frame sized a 48" x 48" cargo area for the utility aspect. It will have a tailgate for added length when I need to haul lumber or furniture.

I'm still debating on if I'm going to make a telescoping frame for the RTT or just buy a Thule Xsporter that will clamp to the top rail.

I use a vintage Bantam trailer with removable crossbars to mount my RTT. I fabricated an artificial gutter on both sides where I can mount Yakima towers (or any other gutter mount towers). That way I can easily remove the crossbars when I need to haul stuff like mulch or other cargo.

Trailer.jpg
IMG_4103.JPG

Nice photos. I like the paint on that EC130. Nice that the boss lets you land off route.
You need to put a red stripe on the FJ to match the 130 and then take some group shots. Would look Sweet!

Recently I added a RAM mount tablet holder for an 8" Galaxy Tab. With this tablet, I can use Google Maps, Backcountry Navigator Pro, and Torque OBDII software. I also have a lot of music stored on it, which streams via Bluetooth to my receiver.

The biggest reason I added this tablet was to access information. I uploaded every user manual, FSM, and wire diagram from every component used on my 40. Hopefully I won't need to use those on the road, but you never know! Also, if I ever sell it, the new owner would have access to all information regarding my 40.

Here is the RAM mount. It has the short arm and 1" ball-

int1.jpg

The console setup-

Int10.jpg

Some tech files-

int3.jpg

int4.jpg

int5.jpg

Backcountry Navigator Pro (unit has build in GPS antenna!)-

int2.jpg

Google Maps with satellite imagery-

int8.jpg

Torque OBDII software-

int6.jpg

Streaming music from tablet to receiver-

int7.jpg

int9.jpg

Since upgrading to the newer version my the Dakota Digital dash, I have been tossing around ideas different uses of my 'Extra Inputs' for my display. Twice now, I have started driving without having my tire carrier latched! Luckily, no damage was caused and I noticed before anything bad happened!

So, here was my solution-

Marking where to drill-

TC1.jpg

Pilot hole-

TC2.jpg

Large hole-

TC3.jpg

Switch fitted-

TC4.jpg

Rubber boot and and adjusting-

TC5.jpg

Depressed-

TC6.jpg

Running the wire-

TC7.jpg

And the display when the carrier is unlatched! Also accompanied by a nice "BEEP BEEP BEEP" tone!

TC8.jpg

Extremely pleased with the outcome! Shows just how expandable and programmable the Dakota dashes are!

Since upgrading to the newer version my the Dakota Digital dash, I have been tossing around ideas different uses of my 'Extra Inputs' for my display. Twice now, I have started driving without having my tire carrier latched! Luckily, no damage was caused and I noticed before anything bad happened!

So, here was my solution-

Marking where to drill-

TC1.jpg

Pilot hole-

TC2.jpg

Large hole-

TC3.jpg

Switch fitted-

TC4.jpg

Rubber boot and and adjusting-

TC5.jpg

Depressed-

TC6.jpg

Running the wire-

TC7.jpg

And the display when the carrier is unlatched! Also accompanied by a nice "BEEP BEEP BEEP" tone!

TC8.jpg

Extremely pleased with the outcome! Shows just how expandable and programmable the Dakota dashes are!

My mind is blown.

And last update for the day...

I have been looking for a good place to store a few things, including my gun. 5.11 has some awesome accessories, and they have store close to my work. I found a panel, holster, and pouch. The width of the panel happened to be the exact distance between the Metal Tech center bars (about 10.5"). I attached the MOLLE panel with some black paracord, and attached a holster, pouch, and my flashlight! It is tucked up and out of sight, especially for someone peering in through the windows!

15x10 MOLLE panel-

5111.jpg

5113.jpg

5112.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom