Builds My New Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know. I wasn't thinking about the rod because my application requires modification and threading no matter what.

Different topic. Anyone have an idea what this circuit breaker might go to? It fell on the driver's floorboard and I cannot recall ever seeing one. According to the Ezwiring fuse panel, it doesn't go there. The Speedhut gauges don't show one in their documentation. Maybe the ClassicAir AC? If no thoughts, I'll open the dash and start looking.

7E433F09-1885-4B95-BA58-A853DD76B8C4.jpeg

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking about the rod because my application requires modification and threading no matter what.
Look at the diagram again, are we both talking about the rod between the master and booster?

Look at the diagram again, are we both talking about the rod between the master and booster?
Hmmm... I think what you are saying is whatever I picked up in the salvage yard was a lucky fit to my existing master cylinder. I assumed all GM hydroboost units were the same as they attach to the master (push rod length). 😊😊. Sometimes you are just lucky. I didn't know they were different.

Took a closer look at my hydroboost power piston. One significant scratch. I'm not sure if I created it when I put the new seal in or if it was already there. Anyway, was able to remove it with 400 grit paper and then eventually polished it up with 1500. I found several minor scratches along the way that would catch a finger nail.

Crossing my fingers that's all it needs. Waiting for another seal vs. reusing the one I put in a few hundred miles ago.

068426FA-AAA9-4198-A061-B63B7B931198.jpeg

2ACE2D07-B88F-4949-A520-9695BED97483.jpeg

Well maybe it's my reputation that should be on the line. I received the new seal I ordered from Boost Auto Parts. It was a much firmer material with perceived better quality than the previous one I ordered from Amazon. As I was putting it together the lip on the new seal got pinched and cut on the wall of the booster so I'm ordering another (plus a spare this time). I had the piston greased to put it together but I guess sometimes SH!T happens. With the spring pressure from the two internal springs I guess I misjudged things and cut the seal pressing the two halves together.

I really liked the quality of firmer seal so I'm not going to take any chances. I again wait again for parts.

😊I'm slowly approachIng eating away at all the money I was saving with my salvage yard unit😊😊😊😊.

One thing I notice about the piston scratch in the previous picture, is it likely from the salvage car. With it so close to the piston base, it couldn't have been caused by assembly because the piston does not extend that far into the booster unit. It only extends into the cylinder wall when the pedal is pushed. At least I feel better now that I reconcile the scratch and the assembly.

😊I'm slowly approachIng eating away at all the money I was saving with my salvage yard unit😊😊😊😊.
It's that the way? I have been pretty lucky with salvaged parts, but I got a little burnt on my LS motor I think. I paid money for a runner and ended up rebuilding it and the trans. I am happy with the peace of mind but I could probably have saved a few duckets if I planned the rebuild from the start.

Took a closer look at my hydroboost power piston. One significant scratch. I'm not sure if I created it when I put the new seal in or if it was already there. Anyway, was able to remove it with 400 grit paper and then eventually polished it up with 1500. I found several minor scratches along the way that would catch a finger nail.

Crossing my fingers that's all it needs. Waiting for another seal vs. reusing the one I put in a few hundred miles ago.

View attachment 2670718

View attachment 2670719
Did that with a seized McCullough chain saw 😉. Pulled apart and honed it then reversed the the scores in piston and cylinder. Saw ran for years after that 😘

While waiting for hydroboost seals, I decided to take care of a few issues. I always had my spare strapped down in the cargo area and hated that it took up all the space. I decided to build a carrier so it could stand up. I had tubing and all the materials so it was just time in the shop.

I planNed to anchor it with rivet nuts through the floor. Boy, I was surprised that the fuel tank is really close. I think I'll be okay with 1 inch bolts. I worry a little if 4 rivet nuts will be enough to keep a 35 inch tire upright. Worst case I can fashion a bracket to also hold it from the side.

Since the picture was taken, I cut 5 inches off the legs to lower it a bit.

11CF05C3-B542-4B0C-9388-54E4721D68CC.jpeg

4191262A-D053-41A9-A71B-B6CA0703BA7C.jpeg

21F66A46-D9C7-4907-9740-EC448A972AC4.jpeg

Reinstalled my hydroboost after sanding down the scratches in the power piston and installed a new seal. It looks like that cured my leak issues. Yeah!

So now it’s time to turn the 55 into my raft getter and mountain bike hauler.

The spare tire carrier is in place and I’m liking it.

9E9ECFCC-8459-4DC6-BC38-475E1B89EAEE.jpeg

CB86E600-2FA8-4E68-BED5-7D84422B371C.jpeg

B6F50520-F921-4F8F-AE31-C16A7A06E3EC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom