My "new" FZJ80, or, I scratched the 80 itch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm really good at hopping on here to post an update from the device with no pictures.

So.

I finally re-installed my rear wind deflector (Thanks @FMC80 !!!) I figured as soon as I mounted the thing, I would find some forgotten box with my mounts in it so I can return the favor to someone else, but it hasn't happened yet.

I yanked my oxidized shopping cart bumpers (body side molding) off of the sides. For some reason I thought they would reveal holes in the sheet metal. If I had ever stopped to think about it, there are many 80s on here with zero holes along the sides.

I also swapped the turn signal up to the corner indicator location. Again, reading comprehension or something forced me down a dark path with what should have been a 20 minute task. Since the 2 bulbs are different types, I didn't think the bases were the same. I went to 2 different parts stores trying to find just bases that would work so I could re-wire them. Geezus.

I've been working on a drawer/sleeping platform as well. If you delete your second row, the space is almost too big to have anything make sense from a functionality perspective. How many dang piano hinged hatches do I need?

Right on Mike! It only took 2.5 years! You’re doing better than most!
Pretty sure you’re ahead of Me. My lockers and gears are still sitting on my service cart…staring at me.

@FMC80 I actually ran "devil horns" style for over a year. I had the feet you sent mounted within 3 months. I thought I lost the wing for a bit, found it, then waffled on painting it or not, then waffled on which color, then finally said F it, I need less random bits and pieces floating around.

I went on a quick snow-wheeling overnighter this past weekend. Here's my after-action review.
The 80 continues to impress me.
I need a warmer sleeping bag
I've definitely found the limits of the Yokohama A/T g003
If you think snow chains might be a good idea at some point during the trip, install them in a spot that is flat and level, not when you need them to get going again.
I'm not sure that a sleep platform in the rig is the way to go
Check for winch controller prior to leaving the house.
Don't leave your winch controller in the seat back pocket when you give away your seats.
I do not like the way an 80 (maybe just mine?) handles when running chains and all lockers.
Did I mention the sleeping bag problem? It may well be 40 years old. I remember getting it for Christmas the 1 time we did Christmas at my Great-Aunt's house. neither my dad nor I can remember the exact year. It's a USA made Slumberjack. That's a damn fine run for a piece of gear. It is NOT the proper bag for 10 degrees.

I am now at that very dangerous(financially) place where I've done just enough off-roading to realize that i actually would like to tackle a bit rougher stuff, and therefore I need more ground clearance. I will try and draw my next line in the sand at cutting fenders. I may de-flare even though I like the flared 80 look better. I see the benefit of not having them out on the trail.

So, full Ironman foam cell pro 4" lift with black Friday 25% off?
"12-days-of-vendors" piece together lift kit?

I also thought of getting out of my 80 and sourcing a blank slate, but I've done a decent amount to this one, and for this idea to make sense, I would need to find a non-rust bucket for 2k or less.

Anyone out there going stage 3 to stage 4 and need a home for the stage 3 gear? It's a slippery slope my friends.

@FMC80 I actually ran "devil horns" style for over a year. I had the feet you sent mounted within 3 months. I thought I lost the wing for a bit, found it, then waffled on painting it or not, then waffled on which color, then finally said F it, I need less random bits and pieces floating around.

I went on a quick snow-wheeling overnighter this past weekend. Here's my after-action review.
The 80 continues to impress me.
I've definitely found the limits of the Yokohama A/T g003
If you think snow chains might be a good idea at some point during the trip, install them in a spot that is flat and level, not when you need them to get going again.
I'm not sure that a sleep platform in the rig is the way to go
Check for winch controller prior to leaving the house.
Don't leave your winch controller in the seat back pocket when you give away your seats.
I do not like the way an 80 (maybe just mine?) handles when running chains and all lockers.
Did I mention the sleeping bag problem? It may well be 40 years old. I remember getting it for Christmas the 1 time we did Christmas at my Great-Aunt's house. neither my dad nor I can remember the exact year. It's a USA made Slumberjack. That's a damn fine run for a piece of gear. It is NOT the proper bag for 10 degrees.

I am now at that very dangerous(financially) place where I've done just enough off-roading to realize that i actually would like to tackle a bit rougher stuff, and therefore I need more ground clearance. I will try and draw my next line in the sand at cutting fenders. I may de-flare even though I like the flared 80 look better. I see the benefit of not having them out on the trail.

So, full Ironman foam cell pro 4" lift with black Friday 25% off?
"12-days-of-vendors" piece together lift kit?

I also thought of getting out of my 80 and sourcing a blank slate, but I've done a decent amount to this one, and for this idea to make sense, I would need to find a non-rust bucket for 2k or less.

Anyone out there going stage 3 to stage 4 and need a home for the stage 3 gear? It's a slippery slope my friends.
Mike you’re in Seattle right? I have a rectangular feathered friends bag that has a hood. It’s a 20 degree bag which is cozy for me…I bought it in 2006. Not cheap, but I think they are still made in Seattle, comparable in price to many bags sewn overseas. When is really cold I put my really old marmot bag inside it and I’m good down to way below zero in a shelter. Way less than a stage 3 setup!

Honestly, I should have just "acquired" and extra Army 3-piece set. The bivvy cover alone was the bees knees. I do know about feathered friends. I have one of the geoduck pillows from them.

Sucks being cold, the right gear for right environment is invaluable. I bet you slept like shît. Over the years of military travel, I’ve given away so many things including camping equipment. It was mainly due to living in Japan for so many years and living in small homes.

It’s time for us to go shopping, Mike.

I'm pretty cautious about winter camping these days. Had a horrible trip in the mountains in Alberta years back. Was sleeping in the truck, blew my rear window out on the trail so I draped a blanket to keep the wind out but was bitterly cold even in a 0F bag (and it was about 0F overnight). I was so cold I woke up, grabbed a 20lb propane cylinder and dragged it over by the fire pit, cracked the valve open, lit it and warmed myself up on the flames. I gave zero ****s if I died at that point.

Chains are a bear too. I have a full set of square links for my 37s and an old set of ring chains I had made for my old 40s (think the chains they use on forestry skidders). I don't tend to run them until the spring when everything gets icy - too much chance of body contact and cratering body panels. I also tend to leave one diff open when I'm running chains or you lose a lot of helm control.

All that said, I love winter wheeling. I really need beadlocks so I can get down to the 4psi range and try and keep my fat, heavy pig of a truck from breaking through constantly.

The winter environment is challenging. Everything takes so much longer, and it always seems to be dark. From my time learning from Mors Kochanski up in Alberta, the key thing is if you're going to spend money on any special winter gear prioritize your sleeping bag. If you are injured or stranded a warm bag is very important. The surplus market has the MSS system, and it seems ok, but I think the bivy is the best component. The bags at this point have likely been stored compressed and that is super s***ty for synthetic bags.

I like my double bag system, but it also needs good insulation below to be effective in really cold temps. I rock an older thermarst that is full length and a foam ridge rest under that for sleeping right on the snow. But there is obviously a range of difference between surviving and being comfortable. If I went back to Alberta in winter I would not hesitate to rock my double bag combo, but when I move to MN this summer I will be shopping for -20 or warmer bag for exploring the BWCA in winter.. Im not sleeping as warm as I did in my late 20s. Down bags just last a really long time if you can store them uncompressed. And if you have a really old one (my wife has a 15 degree marmot bag purchased in 1999) it sort of begins to fill the summer bag role.

Chains were a whole new animal for me, I'd only ever been a passenger in a rig with chains before. @Feldrian Once I killed the front and rear lockers, the steering with chains made a lot more sense.
I was talking with my dad again, and the old sleeping bag I have is synthetic. Something called Quallofill (sp?).
@PNWTreeOctopus I scanned the feathered friends site a bit, and came away feeling like I just looked at 80 series suspension prices. I'll add another facet to my brief winter camping forray. I was pretty dehydrated. I know that being out in the cold typically makes this worse since when you're cold, you don't tend to feel thirsty as much but I didn't drink near enough water during the day.

Nothing going on in fzj80 country.
I’ve been down the rabbit hole of photography again (film photography) 8x10 inch large format sheet film style to be precise.
I thought a forray into Land Cruisers was expensive.
I’ve been contemplating a different vehicle actually.
The basic problem of needing a vehicle other than the work truck could be met in any number of boring gas sipping ways.
Part of me wants to shift to a 60 series.
Part of me wants to go G Wagen simply due to the super sleek Schmude camper top. It is an $8k top, so I guess it should look pretty good.
I’m still sitting on exhaust parts that need to be installed.
I still have 4 fancy Dobinsons shocks sitting in the box.
So yeah, running a couple of errands per week in the 80 while trying to make sense of life wants vs needs. Our continued ridiculous housing market isn’t helping.
The photography thing is the only hobby I have that kicks everything else out of my head, so that’s staying.

I’m off to check on a few other threads to see how people have been doing.

24BBDDE9-B6C5-4CBE-AA01-B4FA00AE4160.jpeg

Nothing going on in fzj80 country.
I’ve been down the rabbit hole of photography again (film photography) 8x10 inch large format sheet film style to be precise.
I thought a forray into Land Cruisers was expensive.
I’ve been contemplating a different vehicle actually.
The basic problem of needing a vehicle other than the work truck could be met in any number of boring gas sipping ways.
Part of me wants to shift to a 60 series.
Part of me wants to go G Wagen simply due to the super sleek Schmude camper top. It is an $8k top, so I guess it should look pretty good.
I’m still sitting on exhaust parts that need to be installed.
I still have 4 fancy Dobinsons shocks sitting in the box.
So yeah, running a couple of errands per week in the 80 while trying to make sense of life wants vs needs. Our continued ridiculous housing market isn’t helping.
The photography thing is the only hobby I have that kicks everything else out of my head, so that’s staying.

I’m off to check on a few other threads to see how people have been doing.

View attachment 3343448
These exhaust parts…they do t happen to be the svelt @OTRAMM built ones do they? Cause I know a guy who really needs to move more Land Cruiser parts across half the country.

No. Magnaflow cat and y pipe. I'll get to it eventually. I need to order all of the oem gaskets and such.

I want to give a huge shout out to @crikeymike. He let me swap my unused Ims 4-5" shocks out for the 0-3" shocks. This greatly helps my decision process moving forward with my rig and keeping it more "normal." Let me reiterate that the shocks I ordered got opened up to inspect for shipping damage and got sealed back up and placed on a shelf which was likely why he let me return/exchange them in the first place. It was still unexpected and greatly appreciated.

It's been a while. Not much new to report. I'm still thinking of getting out of the Land Cruiser, but can't decide what would be a mixture of just enough off-road capability and around town sensibility. I briefly entertained the thought of a Honda Ridgeline which will probably get my account here shut down :p

My cruiser also may be haunted. The evidence; My old O2 sensors whose mounting hardware were corroded beyond recognition and left abandoned in place? Yeah, one of them is just plain gone. The studs and mount flange are now nicely exposed. My weird sequential fuse thingy for the Badlands 12k winch? Also completely gone with no trace. If the mount tab snapped, it should have become wedged down inside the battery box. It's not.

I've arrived at a point where a vehicle that needs "tinkering" isn't really appropriate for me. All I need to get done in the near term is the exhaust system. My remaining stash of window gaskets and stuff like that can wait until warmer weather, but it all has me thinking of jumping ship. 2006 Sequoia maybe? Single cab short bed 2nd gen Tundra? I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom