My LSEAT leather seat experience and install directions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny this came up in my notifications this morning, as last night I noticed the first sign of leather issues with my seats. There is an obvious wear tear on the right shoulder/back on my driver's seat.

Funny this came up in my notifications this morning, as last night I noticed the first sign of leather issues with my seats. There is an obvious wear tear on the right shoulder/back on my driver's seat.
How many years & how many miles have you had them on?

How many years & how many miles have you had them on?
I created this thread Jan 2019, and haven't put THAT many km. Not sure exactly how many but nothing unusual.

I see a lot of folks buying heated seat kits.. is there now way to reuse the current heating elements if the factory seats?

I see a lot of folks buying heated seat kits.. is there now way to reuse the current heating elements if the factory seats?
Yes, I considered that, but didn't for a couple reasons.

If I wanted to keep or resell the seats, the effort to remove the cloth, remove the heaters that are glued down, and nicely re install the seats would be astronomically more effort than it's worth.

The factory heaters are 30 years old and traditionally seat heaters wear out and die.

I did end up keeping and reusing the OEM switches though 👍

I pulled the center console for another project and it appears there are open connectors under there. Are they for the seat heater that doesn't exist in the '96 80?

I pulled the center console for another project and it appears there are open connectors under there. Are they for the seat heater that doesn't exist in the '96 80?
I seem to recall seeing info at some point saying some of the fzj80 had them like that. But the lx450 doesn't. Kind of the opposite of what you'd think, really!

I seem to recall seeing info at some point saying some of the fzj80 had them like that. But the lx450 doesn't. Kind of the opposite of what you'd think, really!
I have a '96 FZJ80 and there are 3 unused plugs under the center consol. Two can be used for the stock Toyota Seat Heater switches and the third is for the JDM center consol fridge. Obviously only adding the switches doesn't make your seats heated. You need to add the heating elements and wire them into the connector under the seat with new 'pins'.

Completed my front passenger seat last night. Here are before and after shots. First time for this kind of work for me, so I found this thread most valuable..
seat pass 2.jpg
seat pass 5.jpg
Since I started with the passenger seat, I discovered perhaps an additional GOTCHA. This seat is primarily used by the wife and I discovered the hard way she keeps it set to the highest lifted position. Unfortunately, this seat position makes it impossibly to reach the rear side bolts as seen in the picture below.
seat pass 3.jpg

After lugging the seat back out to the truck, I hooked up power and lowered the seat. Low and behold.. bolts are back ;)

seat pass 4.jpg
So a new GOTCHA, be sure and lower your seats before removing :)

Completed my front passenger seat last night. Here are before and after shots. First time for this kind of work for me, so I found this thread most valuable.. View attachment 3001348View attachment 3001350 Since I started with the passenger seat, I discovered perhaps an additional GOTCHA. This seat is primarily used by the wife and I discovered the hard way she keeps it set to the highest lifted position. Unfortunately, this seat position makes it impossibly to reach the rear side bolts as seen in the picture below.
View attachment 3001355

After lugging the seat back out to the truck, I hooked up power and lowered the seat. Low and behold.. bolts are back ;)

View attachment 3001356 So a new GOTCHA, be sure and lower your seats before removing :)
Did you just lower it to the lowest position?

I placed an order last week and will be tackling it myself when the time comes

My driver seat only lasted a bit over 3 years with Lseat leather....It’s always garage kept but cracked at right shoulder/back and seat with tears..

My driver seat only lasted a bit over 3 years with Lseat leather....It’s always garage kept but cracked at right shoulder/back and seat with tears..

Did you ever condition the leather? “Garage kept” doesn’t mean they leather doesn’t need moisturizer and care

Did you ever condition the leather? “Garage kept” doesn’t mean they leather doesn’t need moisturizer and care
Yep, conditioned it regularly

Rebuilding the drivers seat today. Found a few surprises.. Apparently, the drivers seat cushion had been repaired in the past. One of the front bolts holding the lower seat to the frame was not fastened correctly. Also, found the lower frame was actually broken in several places. Luckily, I purchased a welder this year and had been practicing. So, wound up tacking the fame back together. Only blew through the metal in a few places... ;)

Tacked in five sports on the outer most side of the seat.. Can't really see it, but blew through in a couple of places. Really thin metal..
seat driver1.jpg

This was the front part of the frame. Lower circle shows a near blow through but weld held. Upper circle shows where I used a nail to bridge the pieces together.. Works for me..
seat driver2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom