Muffler for fj40 a quiet one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I installed a Dynomax muffler when I put in the V8 about 6 years ago. I like it and it's still doing a great job.

I installed this one in my 40 - Walker Quiet-Flow 3 Mufflers 21856. I figured if it was for a Cadillac, it should be quiet enough. It is. I have FJ62 exhaust manifolds on my F engine, and with this muffler it gives just a little bit of throaty rumble. It's much quieter (and no drone!) than the cheap muffler I had on before.

:cheers:

Gave my muffler guy the same request for a "quiet" muffler when I dropped off my 40 that has a sbc. So he told me he'd install a "mid muffler" to quiet it some. :meh:

I've got a straight though Lukey UltraFlow 2 1/2 inch, dumps just behind the passenger seat. it's a 2h, and boy is it loud, but i like it that way. makes a nice growl as well, everywhere you go, it turns heads. if you want quiet, don't get a straight through design and make sure it's a full length exhaust.

P.S. anyone runs a short exhaust on a 2f? always wanted to know what it sounds like.

What did you end up with? I want to muffle the sound a bit on my '69 (wife complains too loud every time she get in it). I currently have a stock muffler I picked up from SOR a few years ago. Never really been pleased with it. Thanks.

I installed a Midas Muffler that was listed for a Cadilliac, I could sneak up on people in a parking lot. What you need is a fully baffled (heavy) muffler, regardless of brand name.

Here's what I ended up doing for those who can learn from my somewhat failure. I took the suggestions above to my local muffler guru who suggested another muffler solution - a 1986 Camaro Z28 muffler. Said it would be real quiet and I would be very happy. So today it was installed and honestly I think the muffling is only improved by about 30% I mean it is better than it was in terms of noise but not as quiet as I was expecting (looking for ~50% reduction). He did do a good job on the installation, but you really do not know what you have until the work is done and you crank it up. Here are picks of the install, and afterwards (painted it black). Hey, got new tires this week also - very happing with those so I'm batting .500.

IMG_5717.jpg
IMG_8795 3.jpg
IMG_6432.jpg

When I replaced my muffler from a glass-pack cherry bomb...I just went down to Napa and found the biggest one that fit the dimention. It was a significant improvement.

Don't get a 40 series flowmaster if you want quiet... but I love it on my 40.. :)

Look on the walker web page, there are some mfg, like allied that make pre bent systems, they aren't exact may still need some tweaking but any good stock muffler with a resonater will work, .. good luck, last i checked summit could still get allied,

I just got a muffler and exhaust put on the BJ40. If I did it over again I would have went in more prepared. I asked for quiet and I got loader than I had. It does make the truck sound like something from the 70's so at least I got that going for me. Part of it is I believe I had some holes in the previous exhaust so the sound was spread out front to back. Now all the sound is in the back.
Also I had drivers side exit behind the rear wheel. Now it's rear exit pointing down. I now have a exhaust smell in the cab from the backdraft with the rear doors off. Not a big deal since the doors are about to go back on.
IMG_4960.JPG

I just got a muffler and exhaust put on the BJ40. If I did it over again I would have went in more prepared. I asked for quiet and I got loader than I had. It does make the truck sound like something from the 70's so at least I got that going for me. Part of it is I believe I had some holes in the previous exhaust so the sound was spread out front to back. Now all the sound is in the back.
Also I had drivers side exit behind the rear wheel. Now it's rear exit pointing down. I now have a exhaust smell in the cab from the backdraft with the rear doors off. Not a big deal since the doors are about to go back on.
View attachment 1501303

Nice Rear Bumper. Did you make it yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom