What Muffler? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for advice on what muffler to buy for my FJ40. The motor is a 350 SBC, I'm replacing some poorly installed duals that were low hanging and obnoxiously loud, high school kid's hot rod loud. Today I installed my Walker two into one Y pipe and am spec-ing out everything else I am going to need. This will be my first time building a complete exhaust but it's a short run and I'm looking forward to it. I would like the quietest yet most free flowing muffler I can get if both things together are possible but the most important element here is quiet, followed by a size that fits well under the bed and lastly flow capabilities.

While I'm at it does the stock LC exhaust pipe run by the side of the horizontal frame rail or below it? I spent just a few minutes underneath the truck today I'll be taking a more in depth look soon. I'm glad the rig has a 4'' inch lift as it makes job's like this a little more tolerable.

Any pictures of exhaust systems similar to what I'm after taken on a bare frame would also be helpful.

A picture of the exhaust system that got tossed in the skip today!

DSCF1163-001.JPG

I've still got the 2F, but I've been happy with the 2.5" stainless back to a modified rear-exit stainless Dynomax for a Wrangler JK (#53804). I kept the pipe tucked up a little higher than stock by the transmission/TC as well, just to reduce how much it hung below.

I do have slightly different rear bumper braces, but might give you ideas around a non-stock setup.

PXL_20210810_005642663.MP.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 7.43.11 PM.png

I'm running a Walker Quiet Flow for my 350. Very quiet... gear noise and intake noise are louder than the exhaust.

Last edited:
I've still got the 2F, but I've been happy with the 2.5" stainless back to a modified rear-exit stainless Dynomax for a Wrangler JK (#53804). I kept the pipe tucked up a little higher than stock by the transmission/TC as well, just to reduce how much it hung below.

I do have slightly different rear bumper braces, but might give you ideas around a non-stock setup.

View attachment 3504935View attachment 3504936
Looks nice. Did you bend those stainless pipes yourself? Does the OEM skid plate still mount ok w/ this pipe routing? (Looks almost like the factory pipe layout near skid plate area.) Any chance of a video or audio clip of how it sounds!? Thank you!

-Tom

Magnaflow in the stock location. I forget which part # I bought but it was the biggest one they had. Its nice and quiet and great for sneaking around in the woods. The stainless is nice also.
20201210_152857.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice. Did you bend those stainless pipes yourself? Does the OEM skid plate still mount ok w/ this pipe routing? (Looks almost like the factory pipe layout near skid plate area.) Any chance of a video or audio clip of how it sounds!? Thank you!

-Tom
I don't have a bender, so I got a couple 45s and one of the 180* U-pipes to cut and tig together as needed. The rear bends over the rear axle are the original piping from the JK muffler, but cut/rotated/extended if I recall.

I did raise my exhaust up a bit along the framerail, maybe 2" - my skidplate was pretty rotted, and I have no plans to take it offroad at this point in its life, so I left it out. Since it was out, I shifted the exhaust up a bit to have it hang down less.

I do have some video, but it hasn't made it into an edited YT publish yet, but I can prob snag it sometime this week. It's got a decent burble at idle, but generally benign driving around.

I have 2 40's with sbc's, ramshorns and single exhaust. The 1st one runs the Walker Y pipe. I had an exhaust shop do the work that I requested. I 1st wanted to have a bend at the end of the Y pipe so I could easily remove the oil filter and a flange so I could disconnect it from the rest of the exhaust. I also wanted it up out of the way and not interfere with the possibilty of driveline removal. I run a different type of trans and tcase, so the tube crossmember has been removed. I think its 2" at t Y then goes to 2 1/4", then 2.5" out the back of aftermarket Flowmaster 40 and out the driver side. It has a nice low rumble but I still hear the fan and engine at upper rpms. I've snuck up on deer in the woods when they're in frt or on the pass side of me. My other 40's Y pipe was made by an exhaust shop and probably 2" diameter, and is run like stk, similar to @zerotreedelta 's. It hardly makes any noise, you have to be behind it to here it. I think it's very restrictive. At some point I'll use the walker pipe and make an exhaust using a bend kit from Summit or Jegs and run it similar to the pics of the 1st one.

20230808_222555.jpg
20230808_222631.jpg
20230808_222828.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom