1974 FJ40 OEM muffler question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see no indication stamped into the new muffler for inlet/outlet so does it matter which end is which? Both ends look identical inside & outside. The old Walker muffler is clearly embossed ‘outlet’ on one end.

IMG_6923.jpeg

Are you able to look straight through the muffler? If so can you describe in detail what it looks like, a photo would be better.

Looking at one of the dealer parts diagrams, if one of the outlets on the muffler is slotted and expanded it goes toward the engine the non slotted end goes to the rear.

Last edited:
Slotted on both sides. One side is 2 1/4" other is 2 3/4". I mounted mine with smaller end to the front. Don't know if its right or not though.

I was incorrect. Yes, slotted on both ends, but one end is 2” and the other is 2.25”. The larger end fits my exhaust pipe okay. It’s an aftermarket pipe that connects the header to the muffler. I got it from Man-a-Fre, I think.

the smaller end is same size as the tailpipe so I’ll get it expanded. I’ll probably take it all to an old school muffler shop. I used to work at a Midas in Philly. Exhaust work sucks, they can do in 5 minutes what will take me all morning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom