'77 FJ40, my first one. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picked up this '77 last week. Seems to run pretty well and minimal rust, but definitely bondo in the typical areas. Has a few electrical issues I'm going to track down. Wipers don't work, headlights/taillights don't work. Horn doesn't work (PO put what looks like a doorbell on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, which I discovered is the horn) Also has a main/aux switch on the dash. Haven't figured out what that does yet. I didn't see a second gas tank underneath? Some of the gauges don't work, so the PO installed a few aftermarket gauges when the ash tray went. Eventually will get a new gauge cluster and get rid of those. For now, want to get the lights and wipers working, change all the fluids and have the engine looked over, to make sure it's running correctly. Then plan on driving it for a while and do little things here and there as they crop up. Eventually get rid of the doorbell-horn and get the real one working again.

Have a few general questions
When I shut either door, there is a gap up top, towards the rear of the door, between the window and the body. Can the doors be adjusted inwards. Looks like the door would have to come in tighter to the body by 1/2" to fill that gap up?

On the roof, about 8-10" back from the front of it, there looks like 5-6 screw or nail heads starting to pop up through the roof. Can I just glass those back in?

The PO filled in the entire rain gutter, around the roof, with silicone. Eventually will scrape it all out but are there fasteners under it that can leak? I can't tell what's underneath all the silicone.

On the drivers side, right above the side vent (right in front of the driver door) there are 2 sets of holes. 6 in a circle pattern and two right on top of each other. You can see them in the last photo I posted. The two on top of each other look like maybe a radio antennae went there. I can't figure what would have gone in the circle of holes. Looking at other FJ's there doesn't appear to be anything factory that was in there. Any thoughts.

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

IMG_8761.jpg

IMG_8770.jpg

Nice rig, looks like you found a good one! There was something about Land Cruisers and CB radios back in the 70's, you almost never saw one without a whip antennae. I have two big holes in my 73 from those things that I haven't got around to filling yet.

On the rear side panel there is the base ball of a whip antennae left over. May have to put a sticker or something over the holes for now. The fuse panel is right behind the holes.

Whoa, Dude - where'd your headlight switch get moved to? There's a tach commandeering that dash spot! :hmm:

IMG_0609 (3).JPG

Edited to show where your headlight switch should be. By the way, should you find any comments, advice or wise cracks useful (or funny), click the like button in the lower right corner of our posts. Some of us enjoy getting Likes - I know I do!

Last edited:
Remove the gauge cluster in your ash tray so you can get to the relocated "LIGHTS" switch. Are there any wires connected to the switch? I don't see how the stock harness can reach over there; so my guess is they ran jumper wires from the stock harness, or there is nothing there. Why your lights don't work. Look under the dash in the vicinity of the tach, there you should locate the original Headlight harness that should be plugged into the switch. If the harness is there you can plug your "LIGHTS" switch in and you should have lights again. If you want to keep your tach there, you may have enough room to drill a new hole and mount near tach. Or you could lose the tach, weld that hugh hole shut, and drill in the stock spot to mount the switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom