Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Johnny
Did you adapt the Toyota throttle cable for the Cummins or go a custom route?

What kind of custom cable do you have?

There's this new feature in the forum where you can search a specific thread for keywords, like "throttle cable" :flipoff2:

Here you go. I had the cable fray once and I replaced just the cable with some cheapie off the shelf in a random autozone. Other than that, no issues I recall. Lokar Hi-Tech Throttle Cables TC-1000HT

In prep for GSMTR, I whipped up a skidplate. Did the job, but she isn't pretty, or finished.

Loaded up, hit the road. About 3 hours into the trip, my fuel filters in the ferd clogged, leading to a bunch of BS running around, but we got there.

Last edited:
Did a bunch of wheeling, had fun. Buddy of mine blew the rear driveshaft on the mini, so naturally I was asked to tow him out.

Fixed:

Last day I wanted to push it a bit, so the green 80 and I had planned on doing 71 and 71b in Windrock. 71b is a red that goes up a creek bed, very cool trail. Got up in there, and starved the truck for fuel, like I did two years ago on 74b. PITA.

Had to get creative winching to get her down to a flat spot so we could work on her.

To make matters worse, moving the truck with starter and winch at the same time seems to have burned out my fusible link. Had to cobble together a repair on the trail.

4ish hours later a buddy of mine brought up 10gallons of diesel and we were moving again. It was fun getting out of 71b :D

Had even more fun getting out of 71 :lol:

Had a hell of a good time. Thanks to @andy's60 and the STLCA crew for putting on a killer event. Time to lick my wounds and hit the trails again :D

That 71 trail looks awesome. Can’t wait to hit that with the new build.

Had to get creative winching to get her down to a flat spot so we could work on her.

View attachment 1982621

View attachment 1982622

To make matters worse, moving the truck with starter and winch at the same time seems to have burned out my fusible link. Had to cobble together a repair on the trail.

4ish hours later a buddy of mine brought up 10gallons of diesel and we were moving again. It was fun getting out of 71b :D

View attachment 1982623

Had even more fun getting out of 71 :lol:

View attachment 1982624
Yeah, awesome
That totally changed my day Johnny

My front shocks and springs are totally roasted. Time to swap out the springs with spares I have (for now) and put in Bilstein 7100s with the bump cans I ordered a while ago.

@boots4 i went through your thread and this looks to be the front shock you went with in 2009. Any regrets with your valving choice?

1559834651538.png

I'm looking at the AK7114R06, which has 800/3600 valving according to 4wp website. Length concerns aside, do you think that valving will be stiff enough, or should I go custom valving like you have to be even stiffer?

I think fresh springs, the off-the-shelf Bilsteins, and a front medium rate sway bar would be right on the money for you. Keep the soft ride and get roll control. :smokin:

I know I have a completely different setup but I wish I had slightly stiffer 7100s than the 400/100 I have.
Are you making custom brackets or using the adapters?

I'm looking at the AK7114R06, which has 800/3600 valving according to 4wp website. Length concerns aside, do you think that valving will be stiff enough, or should I go custom valving like you have to be even stiffer?

For comparison's sake (we recently went through this with Hojack's build) the valve numbers for bilstein have changed so in the new lingo my valving would be 800/4000. I have liked theses shocks and would also go a little stiffer especially with the setups that we have with bigger tires, heavier axles, etc. If custom valving is in the budget I'd spring for that.

Are you thinking of running a sway bar up front? It seems to me that since you are set up with a tow rig for the distances it may not be worth it. But our own tastes do change over time.

Think it's worth it to get a custom set of Alcan springs (or whatever) or should I just put on another used set of FJ60 springs with proper bumpstops? I have another set of FJ60 rear springs, so I'm leaning that way.

A swaybar is in my future, but not in this phase. Although I have a tow rig for the harder wheeling trips, I still put 10-12k miles a year on Moonshine! Does a swaybar change the shock stiffness you'd get?

Not sure if I'm using custom brackets or spacers, or what, but I have a mill, a lathe, and plenty of material, so I'll make it work somehow.

Think it's worth it to get a custom set of Alcan springs (or whatever) or should I just put on another used set of FJ60 springs with proper bumpstops? I have another set of FJ60 rear springs, so I'm leaning that way.

A swaybar is in my future, but not in this phase. Although I have a tow rig for the harder wheeling trips, I still put 10-12k miles a year on Moonshine! Does a swaybar change the shock stiffness you'd get?

Not sure if I'm using custom brackets or spacers, or what, but I have a mill, a lathe, and plenty of material, so I'll make it work somehow.

A sway bar won't change the shock stiffness. Think about hitting something like a speed bump on the road head-on where both tires hit it at the same time and same speed. The sway bar will do nothing in that scenario. But if you hit a bump with only one wheel the sway bar will come into effect.

the tricky part is getting the driver's side arm to clear the pitman arm and front of the tire during a full right turn. Especially with your 42's.

To answer with another question... are you planing to do any linking up front?

If so I'd save your money and run the back up springs you have and run a stiff shock. I'd consider holding off on the swaybar until your link plans since that would likely change anyways.

If you are going to stick with springs I think it depends on if you were happy with the FJ60 springs. If not, then it's a good opportunity to look into something else. While it's easier to leave the mounts alone I don't think changing them out for setting up new springs would be a big deal for you. It's just some grinding and some welding.

Since I don't run sway bars I don't have any credible experience to share on how that could change shock valving. Hopefully others will elaborate on that part. I would think that would factor into your decision though, like cruisermatt's suggestion for softer/standard valving with a sway bar set up.

EDIT: Looks like cruisermatt hit this before I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom