Let's see your 40-series overlanders! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What is overlanding?

devo

9A1D8A52-D398-430D-941E-4D8A67084124.jpeg

So again @mrjordann, what is overlanding? Is it a word from Australia to describe loading up your vehicle with camping gear and driving some place ( the outback) and setting it up?
I’ve been doing that same thing for decades. Being gone for weeks, or a month at a time. I was always camping.
But I do dig the opportunity to post my camping photos and view the other folks who also enjoy camping out from their 40’s.

playing the cynic,

devo

DEE3FFBC-A676-4BE2-A2F1-1456B2C2F963.jpeg

Overlanding is remote camping. With an emphasis on the “getting there” part. YES most 40 owners that have been at it for a long time have been doing this already. Overlanding has a bigger focus on self reliance and the gear to get you there.
That should sound familiar to most 40 owners.

If being able to sleep IN or on your rig counts, I do that. But like a few others here, I refuse to call it overlanding.
97E8BD91-C505-406E-B730-F317DA31780D.jpeg
E935DDA6-F6F4-487E-95C2-2AFE6AF49777.jpeg

Nothing wrong with the term "overlanding," or, for example, with the term "tactical." But each can be abused to the point of silliness. Since I helped popularize the term "overlanding" for better or worse, here's my rule:

Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a pickup: camping.
Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a Land Rover: overlanding
Sleeping bag and tent in the back of a Land Rover, and your name stenciled on the door: expedition.

Easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom