Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have drive to Panama and back three times.

I call it road trips. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

ANY advice be appreciated!!!!

Saw this overlander headed into downtown Portland this morning. He will probably need the snorkel, and axe, and to his credit, you can camp anywhere you want down there...

IMG_20210518_082347143_HDR~2.jpg

What else more luxury would you need ?

View attachment 2677826

View attachment 2677825

View attachment 2677827

View attachment 2677832

View attachment 2677833

Definitely you are not a true overlander without your fordable wine glasses :cheers:

@flx Congratulations, you didn’t win anything, but it’s obvious you have travelling with style mastered.
I do miss the boxes of wine and rum from the old days. Perfect Simplicity! Not sure where the photo
is, but I’m hoping to travel in the mountains of N Italy one day.

@flx Congratulations, you didn’t win anything, but it’s obvious you have travelling with style mastered.
I do miss the boxes of wine and rum from the old days. Perfect Simplicity! Not sure where the photo
is, but I’m hoping to travel in the mountains of N Italy one day.
This trip was mostly in Spanish Pyrenees !

An European version of the coast to coast xD
1621437080230.png

In honor of this post I did not attach my axe and shovel and pretend like I was going to hack down a trail in the amazon and opted instead to citronella tiki torches in the quickfist clamps on the roof rack. Now if only Front Runner or Alu-Cab could come up with an overland tiki torch and charge me $300 for it then I'll really be overlanding...only the essentials.
View attachment 2663863
Hang on a minute here... I think I recognize those tiki torches. And... Waynesboro VA?

Brother Bullfrog, is that you?

Mark...

Do you ever seriously refer to your road trip an an expedition, actually refer to yourself as an "overlander" without busting out laughing or use "overland" as a verb? If so, you have immediately labeled yourself as a pouser and a pretender. If your trip is more about your rig and your gear than it is where you are and what you are doing then maybe you ARE an Overlander. If a selfie stick is part of your "gear", you are an Overlander. If you stage pictures to post on IG or YT, you ARE an Overlander. Now we all take pictures of our rigs, each other and even ourselves when we are not too busy actually doing stuff. But if the pics are more important than the actual doing... be honest now. 🤔

If you tag people and companies on those staged IG pics, you are soooo much an Overlander.

Just to be clear, this is not a good thing to be.

If you actually want "all the comforts of home" when you are on the trails or traveling the world then why did you leave the home behind? Be honest about it and buy a motor home. Then you can make everyone chuckle when you say that you are "camping". ;)

I saw a you tube vid recently were the guy was talking about Overlanding as his group spend a weekend driving down their local National Forest fire roads. He went on about "deep water crossings" and "Deep Mud". Deepest water in the vid was *maybe* three feet deep if I am generous. Maybe. Mud? It might have been 3-4 inches deep and kinda sandy to be honest. Oh yeah, can't forget the rocks. Rocks that a Subaru could have negotiated. Not exaggerating here. Listening to them talk about being "Experienced Overlanders" showing the newbies "how to Overland" as they camped in a pack of a dozen or so rigs all within 10 feet of each other... with all sorts of awnings and RTTs and showers, stoves and tables, chairs, barbeques and all the other crap that looks more at home in the parking lot of the stadium on Saturday... wasn't sure whether to laugh a little or cry a little.

I know a guy (who is on mud actually) who has taken his rig to North Africa, Central America and Austrailia. his last trip (that I am aware of) was across NA, ship the rig from Nova Scotia to German, fly over to meet it and then head for Outer Mongolia. He can hang whatever moniker he chooses on what he is doing and I will take him seriously. o_O

But wait a sec... if I am not in a boat, and I am moving from place to place... then I am moving over land right? Damn! Am I an... OVERLANDER ?:confused:

Mark...

Great thread I am a hiker, camper and like to drive my 4X4 as far out as I can get. The rest is all fluff. This thread made me laugh out loud numerous, my front office staff is probably wondering what in the hell I am doing back in my office! Cheers 🍻

Do you ever seriously refer to your road trip an an expedition, actually refer to yourself as an "overlander" without busting out laughing or use "overland" as a verb? If so, you have immediately labeled yourself as a pouser and a pretender. If your trip is more about your rig and your gear than it is where you are and what you are doing then maybe you ARE an Overlander. If a selfie stick is part of your "gear", you are an Overlander. If you stage pictures to post on IG or YT, you ARE an Overlander. Now we all take pictures of our rigs, each other and even ourselves when we are not too busy actually doing stuff. But if the pics are more important than the actual doing... be honest now. 🤔

If you tag people and companies on those staged IG pics, you are soooo much an Overlander.

Just to be clear, this is not a good thing to be.

If you actually want "all the comforts of home" when you are on the trails or traveling the world then why did you leave the home behind? Be honest about it and buy a motor home. Then you can make everyone chuckle when you say that you are "camping". ;)

I saw a you tube vid recently were the guy was talking about Overlanding as his group spend a weekend driving down their local National Forest fire roads. He went on about "deep water crossings" and "Deep Mud". Deepest water in the vid was *maybe* three feet deep if I am generous. Maybe. Mud? It might have been 3-4 inches deep and kinda sandy to be honest. Oh yeah, can't forget the rocks. Rocks that a Subaru could have negotiated. Not exaggerating here. Listening to them talk about being "Experienced Overlanders" showing the newbies "how to Overland" as they camped in a pack of a dozen or so rigs all within 10 feet of each other... with all sorts of awnings and RTTs and showers, stoves and tables, chairs, barbeques and all the other crap that looks more at home in the parking lot of the stadium on Saturday... wasn't sure whether to laugh a little or cry a little.

I know a guy (who is on mud actually) who has taken his rig to North Africa, Central America and Austrailia. his last trip (that I am aware of) was across NA, ship the rig from Nova Scotia to German, fly over to meet it and then head for Outer Mongolia. He can hang whatever moniker he chooses on what he is doing and I will take him seriously. o_O

But wait a sec... if I am not in a boat, and I am moving from place to place... then I am moving over land right? Damn! Am I an... OVERLANDER ?:confused:

Mark...
mark, you nailed it. an OVERLANDER? nope, an explorer.

Will my Insta followers know I’m Hardcore Overlander if I don’t paint these 2 shackles red? Should I run 3rd shackle in the receiver just in case?

Asking for a friend before major expedition...

8F806595-DECE-4D9B-85D4-2CB38C5E87C3.jpeg

Thats going to rust.

Thats going to rust.
Iron Pigs DON'T rust! They all too often fall prey to their arch nemesis, the wicked Ferrous Oxidious Maximus. He has taken far to many of these noble beasts before their time. But they never do anything as mundane and pedestrian as "rust". ;)

FK...

Will my Insta followers know I’m Hardcore Overlander if I don’t paint these 2 shackles red? Should I run 3rd shackle in the receiver just in case?

View attachment 2694487
A REAL Overlander would make sure the red paint matches the red paint on the front sway bar, and the tow hooks red, too!
Sheesh man, get it together!

View attachment 2694487
The climate controlled garage with epoxy floor and clean frame and undercarriage already point to a serious over lander without any mods what so-ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom