Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Side mount.

My Troopy has this but it also has a part time box in it. That would probably have a different shifter setup since it has 4H, 4L, N, 2H....I would think that the H-N-L is a different lever. It's very confusing...lots of variants for sure. Makes my head spin.

Hey Chris!

I had the same side mount on the 1FZ/H151 drivetrain I dropped into my 60-series back home, and the lever is the same for those part time and full time boxes, but the ones for the full time type don't have the raised bump on the top ring (piece fastened with 3 bolts on top of the shifter, as shown on your previous photo) on the shifter. The part time ones have a raised bump there as they require you to "lift" the lever to go from 4H to N and 4L while the full time ones are more smooth.

Shifter - Mark.jpg

If the one on your photo has the raised bump and you are keeping a full time case, I bet you can steal that ring from any U.S. based 80-series and use that.

Hope this helps!

-Alberto

Hey Chris!

I had the same side mount on the 1FZ/H151 drivetrain I dropped into my 60-series back home, and the lever is the same for those part time and full time boxes, but the ones for the full time type don't have the raised bump on the top ring (piece fastened with 3 bolts on top of the shifter, as shown on your previous photo) on the shifter. The part time ones have a raised bump there as they require you to "lift" the lever to go from 4H to N and 4L while the full time ones are more smooth.

View attachment 2154898

If the one on your photo has the raised bump and you are keeping a full time case, I bet you can steal that ring from any U.S. based 80-series and use that.

Hope this helps!

-Alberto

Ah....nice to hear from the guy that caused all this manual transmission drama! Ha! :)

I ordered a lot of wrong stuff...not sure what I did but I need to go back and revisit a few things. Even the base for the side mount I have is wrong...it's too small. Not sure what I ordered for. I'm sure the guys can figure out how to make it work.

I do remember figuring out the lockout part on the top of the shifter...we didn't need that. There are quite a few differences with how things are clocked and all that good stuff. Need to try and refresh my memory!

Well today was a day of learning. Learning more about shifters/shifter shafts/shifter brackets/etc., then I ever thought I would need to know. Or wanted to know. Also found out that I pretty much bought every wrong piece I could. So back to Partsouq and Megazip I go....like so many orders, one place has some but not the other....so 2 orders. I could have bought a new truck in what I have spent on shipping. I'm impulsive when it comes to ordering parts.

It looks as if the shifter I bought is right. A couple of washers were right. A roll pin is right. That is it. The biggest screwup was the bracket for the shifter to mount to. I think I bought one for an R151. I needed 36346-60011....transfer control bracket. It's a touch wider.

We're going to adapt my shifter(keyed differently for the shaft I bought) and the shift rod(different ends the what I have....well one end) and try to get it all work. But first things first....we will shove it in the truck tomorrow and see where this thing lines up with the Rav4 dash...it's a lot different than the old school metal one where it meets the floor.

I drilled the holes today in the bosses and tapped them...did not go all the way thru the gearbox housing which was a good thing.

20191212_110338.jpg

Big trans and transfer case assembly.
20191212_110334_HDR.jpg

Shifter base that is too small....also using the longer arm from the HDJ81 transfer setup that we had(came with trans since trans was out of a HDJ81). This shifter arm has a pin pressed in the bottom...we had to drill it out so the ball joint on the rod could go thru. We're a little worried about clearance with this setup. The other shifter arm I have is shorter but tighter to the trans....we may have some interference with the trans tunnel. I feel a custom shifter arm needing to be made.

20191212_175208.jpg

20191212_175201.jpg

Maybe I should just have multiple shift locations.

20191212_140417.jpg

In you go tomorrow.....

20191212_175146.jpg

Good luck. I don’t think an engine swap, except maybe like for like, is in my future.

On this particular build it's a chassis swap, engine swap, body swap and while we're at it, interior swap.

Thanks @coldtaco ....good pics.

We threw the trans in(obviously no throwing of that trans going on)....it fit. The top is VERY tight on one rib at the very top of the bell housing to the trans tunnel. Pretty sure I can knock that rib down.

Thought about a small body lift but I'm worried about the fan/shroud/radiator. Tomorrow I'll put that stuff in and see how things look....worried as usual about that.

The rear output flange is really close to the skid plate on the tank.....may have to drop the rear crossmember down a 1/4" or something. ...again...this will depend on the fan/shroud/rad relationship.

Shifters fit right where I figured they would. Would have been tough with that motor 1.5" forward from where we were at the start of the week which seems like an eternity ago. Ha. Been a lot of hours pumped into this truck this week. I've been in the automotive business a long time and I'm still surprised how long things take to do.

20191213_093924.jpg

Shift lever is for the Troopy with the H150...pretty sure it will work on this truck. Need to check part numbers and order another one for this truck....can't rob the Troopy of its new shifter.

20191213_094756.jpg

Rear crossmember is the FZJ80s unit. The trans mount on the auto is offset. A little more towards the middle on the manual. Mount moved forward an inch or so.

20191213_095926_HDR.jpg

20191213_110310_HDR.jpg

Underside of crossmember.....we'll need to cut out the access holes
20191213_110319.jpg

Extended the top out the 1" we needed for the mount to fit flat on it.

20191213_145456_HDR.jpg

Cut the bottom out...
20191213_161649_HDR.jpg

This is about where we will be moving things

20191213_162630.jpg

And Monday the fun will start with making some filler pieces to make this thing look like it was never messed with...
20191213_162638_HDR.jpg

The commercials for this thing obviously did their job.....I bought one. We've been using this little carbide chop saw for a few months now.....a Trajan Q700. The abrasive chop saw I've had for a while has been on its last leg. It's too heavy...no one likes to drag it around. Makes a giant mess to use it.....can't alway trust it's cuts.

This is a really impressive unit. Despite the fact that it looks like a Fisher Price My First Chop Saw(it's tiny)..it's a powerhouse. 2" max material size on this model which is fine for us. This thing cuts PRECISELY. It's a joy to use and its small footprint is really a welcome change from lugging around the big chop saw.

The Q1400 handles up to 5" material.....might end up getting one of those too.

20191213_145944.jpg

Last edited:
Got to the shop today to check the rad support/fan/shroud....just about where my HZJ73 lines up.

20191214_142812.jpg
20191214_142820.jpg

Didn't get much time in on the 79 this week....we messed around with body mounts and setting the cab a little better than where it was. I wasn't happy with how things lined up....trans to tunnel clearance, fan/shroud centering, transfer output flange....etc.

We installed some 1/2" thick aluminum spacers and that seemed to really make things right. Much better clearance on everything.

Truck had 70 series bushings but they were in all the wrong locations....we adjusted those first.
20191218_152751_1.jpg

Used these for spacers to see if the 1/2" size was good...it provided great clearance and didn't affect my brake lines or anything else for that matter.
20191218_120047_1.jpg

Going to use a larger 3" diameter on 4 of the cab mounts since they are larger. I think the 2" ones will work fine for the bed and front Rad support mounts.

20191221_125220.jpg

Finished our modified trans cross member....I was worried we were going to have to start over on this and create a new one to slightly drop the trans...not so now with the body lift.

We'll build a skid plate for the transfer at some point.....something a little stronger than what the factory has.

Young kid did a pretty solid job on this thing...I was expecting a little more of a struggle as this was a bit more complicated than what he's done before but when he brought it in to show me, I was really surprised how good he did.

20191219_161438_HDR_2.jpg
20191220_165846.jpg
20191220_165851.jpg

This project doesn't have too many dirty parts going on it but our other ones do....well, the Land Cruiser ones at least....the high end cars don't really get dirty.

Found this parts washer on Facebook Marketplace....what a score. Brand new in-the-box unit for about 1/3 what it retails for. We've been using a small parts washer that needs a lot of attention....I think this one is going to be a lot better. Going to give it a test this week..

20191218_081906.jpg

Got a few things done this week which was good being it was a short week and everyone kind of checked out.

First and foremost, our crossmember is painted and ready to go on...turned out really good.

20191223_164216.jpg

Got our body spacers drilled and painted.....and installed.

20191224_114920.jpg

Spaced up the bed too....but I don't like the round spacers on the square mounts so we'll make square mounts. We used these to check out the height. We'll end up having to make up some longer T bolts....4 of them are used to anchor the bed to the chassis...along with 4 regular bolts you can access to tighten down in the bed mount.

20191224_172414.jpg

Will need to make a couple of pads for the 2 bed support ribs to rest on the frame as well since they're floating in space now. The front ones were never addressed actually. Just the rear one touched.

20191224_172931.jpg

20191224_172919.jpg

Some of what I would hope would be the last of the puzzle pieces came in today.....Partsouq is tough to beat...just wish they had everything I needed. We have a few strikeouts from time to time with them.

This one is an important one...the trans tunnel "support" for the H151/H150 in a 79 body. Thanks to @Gengis for posting it up in his H151 swap thread!

20191224_162352.jpg

20191224_162310.jpg

Got the matching shift boots. Really stoked on all of this fitting like it should.

20191224_123135.jpg

Big difference from the R151 to the H151

20191224_162236.jpg
20191224_162447.jpg

I think later this week I'm going to try and finish this part of the project....secure the trans cover to the body...I'm going to use nut serts to install it with some kind of good sealant...this way I can remove it to access the top of the trans if I ever need to. Doubt I will but it's no more effort to install it with nut-serts so that is what we will do.

Last edited:
And the best delivery of the day was this....it's like Xmas or something.

This grill is makes the wide nose 79 in my opinion.

20191224_154232.jpg

I NEED that grill. That is just outstanding.

I’m sure that I’m ~2 years away from using it, but that just hits the spot.

I NEED that grill. That is just outstanding.

I’m sure that I’m ~2 years away from using it, but that just hits the spot.

It's one of the few parts that made me really think twice about buying. Spendy with a capital S, P, E, N, D and Y. Ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom