Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We tried to put the tank in when I first got the truck....it was on the lift and the tank was out.....it was a half hearted attempt. I think we determined that we wanted to lift the cab a little to get it in. We used a dead blow mallet to "adjust" the tank's flange a little. I am hoping to be messing with the front tank this week....once we get the rear one mounted. Working on that now.
Thanks. I am now going to beat the living s*** out of it. A few more dents won’t hurt. :)

Thanks. I am now going to beat the living s*** out of it. A few more dents won’t hurt. :)

It will only hurt if those dents cause a leak :cool:

Made an executive decision to run the OEM sub tank. I don't want to spend the money and time making a new tank for the truck...if it becomes an issue, we'll build one. I was really wanting to run as much factory stuff on this truck as possible.....so OEM it is. We shoved the tank as far forward as we could and I think it's in a pretty good spot.

For some reason, it's always neat to me when the box comes off the chassis. Never seems to NOT bring a smile to my face. We had an empty shop for once....good day to do this.
20191203_141803.jpg

This is where the tank fit.....we will worry about the rear of the tank once the front is secured as I will want to make sure it's nice and level.
20191203_130249.jpg

20191203_130329.jpg

Fab'd up some brackets....welded them on for the outer hangers.

20191203_154353.jpg

Took a big shortcut and used a piece of 1/8" 2x2 angle iron for the filler piece. Normally I'd make some ridiculously complicated bracket but this seemed to fit the bill. I really want to push and get this truck into the wiring phase....so it can get lost there for a while.

20191203_172459.jpg

Tomorrow we will work on the rear mount. Kind of have an idea where I am headed but I want to sleep on it. TRYING to stay away from using angle iron again. Would make it too easy.

Wow. Just wow.

The bar just got moved up.

It will only hurt if those dents cause a leak :cool:
When I opened it up it had welding rod poking out in a few places already. I haven’t seen any of the red diesel left in there leaking out as I move it all over the garage. Hoping for the best.

When I opened it up it had welding rod poking out in a few places already. I haven’t seen any of the red diesel left in there leaking out as I move it all over the garage. Hoping for the best.
👍

Wow. Just wow.

The bar just got moved up.

I've got a 19 year old kid that is a bracket making wizard. I tell him what I need and he builds it. Tacks them up...fits them....adjusts...preps....we just come in and weld. Makes things SUPER easy. It has been a LONG time since I've had a younger guy in the shop that loves working and wants to learn. Best part is...he's really starting to love Land Cruisers.

Cool pics! That toneau cover is really cool. I'd love one of those....haven't seen one before.

I won't see that truck again until the new year but I will try to get some better photos then. The bed is open. It's almost like there's a canvas bedliner under the plastic bedliner. I see lots of cool things (cargo nets, etc.) on these pickups but I'm not quite sure where to buy them yet. Need to visit more shops.

Ah. The good old angle iron shortcut, I know the regretful feeling well

Ah. The good old angle iron shortcut, I know the regretful feeling well

It hurts. I think I've just seen so much bad done with angle iron that it has ruined it. Ha. Certainly useful though.

I won't see that truck again until the new year but I will try to get some better photos then. The bed is open. It's almost like there's a canvas bedliner under the plastic bedliner. I see lots of cool things (cargo nets, etc.) on these pickups but I'm not quite sure where to buy them yet. Need to visit more shops.

I bet there are shops full of parts for them over there. Pretty cool.

That stuff is generally all custom made to fit. In the industrial areas with the car mod places look for the upholstery guys... they can either do this stuff or point you to who can.

That stuff is generally all custom made to fit. In the industrial areas with the car mod places look for the upholstery guys... they can either do this stuff or point you to who can.

I'd have all kinds of stuff built if I were there! Tonneaus, tops, sweet seat covers......all of it.

Still on our sub tank today. Made a really cool rear support bar for it. I had been thinking about how to get a bar to fit....then realized we had a really cool tool we haven't utilized...a Rogue Fabrication tubing bender. So out it came and we got to work. Thing is magical to use. And difficult to figure out where to bend things. I left that to my guys who are far better at that sort of thing.....they got it spot on first try.

I'd like to think we have the only tubing bender in the world with transparent copper powdercoated parts on it.

20191204_173319.jpg

Side plates made first

20191204_110112.jpg

Then let the bending begin....

20191204_112843.jpg

And the other side

20191204_112830.jpg

Tack it together

20191204_131543.jpg

Gotta love Gojacks. We have two sets here.

It doesn't look like that tank will fall out :lol:

Gotta love Gojacks. We have two sets here.

It doesn't look like that tank will fall out :lol:

Go jacks were like a life changing experience when we got ours. They're pricey but worth every penny.

Tank is secure for sure.......the upper tank mounts are serious business from Toyota. I would suppose with close to 150 pounds of fuel weight and probably 50 pounds in tank weight....strong mounts are kind of necessary.

I'm shooting for zero tanks falling out of the truck :)

Took a big shortcut and used a piece of 1/8" 2x2 angle iron for the filler piece. Normally I'd make some ridiculously complicated bracket but this seemed to fit the bill. I really want to push and get this truck into the wiring phase....so it can get lost there for a while.

Tomorrow we will work on the rear mount. Kind of have an idea where I am headed but I want to sleep on it. TRYING to stay away from using angle iron....

I've got a 19 year old kid that is a bracket making wizard. I tell him what I need and he builds it. Tacks them up...fits them....adjusts...preps....we just come in and weld. Makes things SUPER easy. It has been a LONG time since I've had a younger guy in the shop that loves working and wants to learn. Best part is...he's really starting to love Land Cruisers.

Between these two quotes, you have raised the bar on transparency and craftsmanship in my humble opinion.

Much respect.

I wish some of the “management” I work with demonstrated that type of leadership.

I question my management style on a daily basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom