Late Model 100 Series Annual Spend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tjb

Threads
Looking at a few late (2004-2007) LX470s. Wondering what I can expect to spend annually on maintenance and repairs on one that was well-maintained (all services done) and has normal mileage.

Any ballpark figures out there? Also, what systems would you expect to replace and when to keep it running in top condition (For example, I've seen suggestions that suspension parts should be 'renewed' after 100k or so even if the AHC is operating correctly).

Trying to budget for something I'd like to run to 250-300k miles.

I dont have an annual cost for you but unless you are anal, OCD and willing to waste money on obsessive compulsive maintenance work...These vehicles are very cheap to own and drive. I like to replace parts when needed cause they are rarely needed. I own Land Cruisers so that I don't have to "renew" parts to keep my mode of transportation dependable.

Maybe up to $5000 every 100k miles? That might even be a high estimate.

I'm thinking - timing belt et al, tires, maybe suspension or steering components, braking components, and then fluids.

current costs and planned:

$700 installed 33" wildpeaks

fluid baseline which is the best to do when first picking up your hundo $600 (synth engine oil, coolant flush, full trans flush, synth front and rear diffs, synth transfer case, suspension fluid, power steering, brake fluid) did 3 of these plus greased them zerks and rest at shop.

planning 1k for timing belt in 20k or so miles at shop.

Planning 300 rear springs at shop, to bring my ahc back to spec.

at some point planning a full front end baseline because i have that dreaded clunck which should be around 1.5-2k at shop according to posts which is considered OCD from some opinions.

Other then that, any surprises here and there, I'm hoping for an easy 100k from this rig in the next 5-10 years.

edit: buy a mall cruiser with a bunch of service records, this will save a lot of headache... one thing i took from this forum while researching... and i found the perfect match after waiting almost a year.

Last edited:
Sorry for being a downer, but there is also the possibility (probability?) of needing a new master cylinder/accumulator/pump for $1000 to 3000 depending on how you approach it.

Timing belt and water pumps every 90k miles.

Keep the fluids topped off and keep dumping in fuel....it’ll run for a loooong long time.

If you are going to take it to a mechanic for every clunk or creak, it’ll get expensive. If you do your own work, replacing and baselining is easy. If you pay, it’s expensive.

How about $4700 in gas this year for me... drive roughly 20k miles a year...

I dont have an annual cost for you but unless you are anal, OCD and willing to waste money on obsessive compulsive maintenance work...These vehicles are very cheap to own and drive. I like to replace parts when needed cause they are rarely needed. I own Land Cruisers so that I don't have to "renew" parts to keep my mode of transportation dependable.

This exactly is why when you buy any vehicle, you gotta make sure it's been maintained. To many people, the vehicles are just means of transportation so they take it in to the mechanic when something breaks. When this vehicle is purchased by someone else, he's the one who's going to end up paying big bucks for neglected maintenance.
Every fluid, spark plugs, brakes, belts etc has a life and needs to be changed accordingly. Several years ago, called Lexus to have my AHC fluid changed and I was told, it's a lifetime thing and doesn't need changing. I have changed it 3 times in my 210,000 miles LX and the suspension works flawless, cheap insurance. How many LX/LC you see here where people go ahead and swap out there AHC with alternative suspension, why?

I am also about preventative care then fixing the problems when they arise.

My general rule of thumb with any older vehicle is to save two months of what a new vehicle payment would be. Some years you will not spend that much but, save it for the years that you have a big problem.

If I can't get at least 200,000 miles with a vehicle made in the past 20 years, then I am mad at myself for not doing enough research and buying a lemon.

The advantage of this idea is that you get to drive 10 months out of a year basically without a vehicle payment. The disadvantage is that you will not impress the neighbors and you might have a few more problems every year (depending on the vehicle). Using this system, I haven't financed a vehicle in over 20+ years.

After seeing how they drive these 100 series in the middle east, I don't see any reason why I can't get at least 500,000 miles out of it!

Cheaper than a new car.
More expensive than we like to admit.

8-11 mpg in town.
13-16 mpg on the highway.

Solid chance you'll have a $1,200-1,800 ABS/master cylinder repair.
If you modify it, e.g. lift/tires - expect faster wear/replacement on parts like axles, wheel bearings, steering rack.

At 143,000 miles, other than scheduled maintenance, I've replaced:
- ABS/master cylinder
- Alternator
- Axles
- Wheel bearings
- Tie rods/ends
- Speakers (2 so far)

Likely repairs in the near future:
- Steering rack (bushings are circling drain)
- Maybe the power steering pump - the flush seems to have taken care of the intermittent failures. Fingers crossed.

Punchline: There is likely not a better built vehicle on the planet... but they're not infallible.

These are great answers - thanks.

It’s spendy....I just spent like $1500 for ac repair. That was doing most of the work myself. I replaced the evaporator and expansion valve, along with freon. Had mechanic to condenser as I didn’t have the time or willingness.

$700 for tires.

Earlier this year the condenser fan.

I had mechanic do alternator this year and I did starter.

I had mechanic do all fluids this year also. I do oil changes 1/yr.

I’m sure I’m missing other maintenance items.

It’s expensive to maintain but you have to understand its 20 years old.

After doing the timing belt I have a crank seal leaking and rear main seal leak. Not enough to warrant redoing the job. So it will wait for when it gets worse.

Truthfully it feels like I’m always fixing something. And the wife notices too, which I don’t like. But I think it’s cheaper than a car payment.

Anyone want to compare a car payment to yearly average repair cost?

Put $1000 a year aside until you have a nice cushion-$2-$3k for the unexpected.

If you drive your truck offroad, through streams and mud, plan to mod it, your annual spend will be higher.

If you can do the majority of your own maintanence, budget 0.03cents per mile for annual parts and maint cost, double it for dealer serviced maintanence.

Reactions: tjb
The vast majority of the money I've chosen to spend on the truck is the cause of the money I've had to spend on the truck.

This exactly is why when you buy any vehicle, you gotta make sure it's been maintained. To many people, the vehicles are just means of transportation so they take it in to the mechanic when something breaks. When this vehicle is purchased by someone else, he's the one who's going to end up paying big bucks for neglected maintenance.
Every fluid, spark plugs, brakes, belts etc has a life and needs to be changed accordingly. Several years ago, called Lexus to have my AHC fluid changed and I was told, it's a lifetime thing and doesn't need changing. I have changed it 3 times in my 210,000 miles LX and the suspension works flawless, cheap insurance. How many LX/LC you see here where people go ahead and swap out there AHC with alternative suspension, why?

I am also about preventative care then fixing the problems when they arise.

OCD maintenance, (not normal maintence) is a personal problem and unfortunately will be the exact same voice that skews the curve when suggesting Cruisers are expensive to own.

My family has over 1,000,000 miles on several Cruisers in last 23 years to prove they are very inexpensive and efficient to own. I recently had a failed water pump. It was the first water pump that has ever failed in 23 years and over 1M miles on 10 Cruisers. Just think of all the water pumps and labor I never needed to pay for. My last ‘06 LX I bought knowing I needed to replace rear globes and replaced myself at a very low cost. The AHC in my 2000 LX has been flawless in 328k miles and I have never changed AHC fluid.

OCD can be a very expensive problem.

OCD maintenance, (not normal maintence) is a personal problem and unfortunately will be the exact same voice that skews the curve when suggesting Cruisers are expensive to own.

My family has over 1,000,000 miles on several Cruisers in last 23 years to prove they are very inexpensive and efficient to own. I recently had a failed water pump. It was the first water pump that has ever failed in 23 years and over 1M miles on 10 Cruisers. Just think of all the water pumps and labor I never needed to pay for. My last ‘06 LX I bought knowing I needed to replace rear globes and replaced myself at a very low cost. The AHC in my 2000 LX has been flawless in 328k miles and I have never changed AHC fluid.

OCD can be a very expensive problem.

Exactly. The million mile Tundra needed only one water pump. But people continue to change water pumps every 90k because they (i.e. their mechanic) are "already in there for the timing belt". It's a apparently a compelling argument to someone who doesn't understand how easy it is to get back "in there", or how long water pumps actually last. The factory recommends only water pump inspection. Actually changing your timing belt every 90k is a bit OCD too, unless you're going on a long journey or have an 06-07 model. This is a great forum for information, advice on maintenance intervals - not so much so.

or how long water pumps actually last.

Service records for one of the vehicles I am considering show a leaky water pump was replaced with the timing belt just before 67,000 miles. A 2007. Record says it was leaking, not that it was preventative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom