Builds Land Crusher Build Thread - V2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaning up all the parts while the 3rds are getting gear + eatons installed. Looks like the inner ring of the outer bearing spun on the spindle.

Two new spindles (P/N 43401-60081) are on their way from the UAE. These new ones should have the updated spindle bushing with the integrated needle roller bearing
mine look very similar. what moved you to buy new ones and deem these no longer serviceable? other than knowing they are brand new. i've been debating buying new ones, but other than some slight discoloration and polished surface, i don't see or feel anything else wrong. with properly set torque, i can't see why they won't still work. am i missing something?

Slapped this recovery point on from a vendor that shall not be named (Oh look, more powder coat flaking off....TT...)
I coated it in some Steelit (if you guys don't know this stuff yet, it's great). Surface should be prepped at a minimum with some 36 grit sand paper.
this is making me feel good about skipping the PC when i bought those recovery points, and primering and painting them myself.

your truck continues to make mine jealous. keep it up!

I am still terminally single, but my land cruiser is pretty cool:
View attachment 3472239

Nitro 4.88’s are at Ayer’s machine shop in Phx getting the REM treatment per Zuk’s recommendation
Interested in getting my 4.88 done prior to install. But need the lockers and install kits prior to jumping into a job this big.

Interested in getting my 4.88 done prior to install. But need the lockers and install kits prior to jumping into a job this big.
Depending on what lockers you get, I might have two sierra gear install kits I’m not using. I’ll know here at the end of the week

Depending on what lockers you get, I might have two sierra gear install kits I’m not using. I’ll know here at the end of the week
Plan on going the same route you did, Eaton. My father in law runs ARB and has nothing but issues with his air lines.

Dog is terrible at holding torque wrench
IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2366.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't be dumb, replace your knuckle studs. For some reason I ordered all new cones, washers, and nuts... but not the studs.
1700446931311.png

Here are some photos of the REM super polished Nitro 4.88 gears and Eaton E-Lockers. Zuk, the yota gear whisperer himself, did these for me up in Prescott, AZ. Definitely worth the drive up. He installed all OEM bearings, didn't end up using the Sierra Gear install kits. You get a ton of pictures during install and all the details of your assembly, he's a really cool guy.
1700447146516.png

1700447188513.png

1700447545380.png

1700447576283.png

I ended up installing the 3rds with Red Toyota FIPG instead of the paper gaskets. Seems that the front diff housing can flex and lead to some leaking and FIPG is a bit more forgiving.

Last edited:
Tom Woods double cardan drive shaft is installed. I called them up on 11/9 and they had the shaft to my door on 11/12. Super fast and super helpful on the phone.

They built me a 32.875" shaft (flange to flange) with 60x60mm flanges and Spicer S5-1320X non greaseable U Joints.

The flange on the double cardan joint is about 11mm thick and factory joint is about 7.5mm thick. Would have been nice to have this machined down as the transfer case flange uses studs and are too short to use the lock washers in the OEM setup. I used loctite, torqued them with a torque adapter, and put a witness mark on them.... we'll see how it plays out. It doesn't appear that there is enough space between the dust seal and the flange to remove the studs and run the longer bolts that come with the shaft.

(*** Insert photo***)

OEM Locker switch with Eaton Lockers
I am working on the wiring for the lockers, using the factory switch. I know a lot of folks want to be able to lock the front without locking the rear, and the only real compelling arguments I found had something to do with snow... well, I live in the desert for a reason, you won't see me in snow smiling. It's not a rock crawler and I am real picky about a bunch of ugly, non-oem rock switches on my dash. If this locker switch keeps me from getting through a trail, I probably shouldn't have been on that trail anyways.

Following this awesome thread by @Malahki

I found the locker switch plug dangling behind my dash, just behind the dash speaker, to the right of the fuse panel and OBD2 port:
1700448725860.png

1700448736629.png

1700448748581.png

In the passenger kick panel, I found the grey D5 plug for the factory locker ECM (this is where you will pull the wires to make connections with the male terminated 'repair' wires:
1700448805830.png

1700448919819.png

Adding relays here. Also mounted the Eaton relays on some open studs as well. These studs are M6 x 1.0 if you want to use them, just buy a nut.
1700534696603.png

Sniff-Spection
1700534712153.png

She identified a leaking sunroof, the carpet is wet!
1700534750212.png

1700534776730.png

New bulb and socket for the factory locker holes, testing on the bench:
1700601096101.png

To be continued.....

Last edited:
Here are the wiring diagrams I used from @Malahki with my notes included.

Front Locker:
1700601477443.png

Rear Locker:
1700601464504.png

Locker ECM in the pass kick panel:
1700601569597.png

I mounted both Eaton relays and the additional 4 pin relays in the passenger kick panel, there are multiple m6 x 1.0 studs that I was able to use. I am working on cleaning this up before I button up the interior. I try really hard to make wiring look good, but It never seems to look decent:
1700601676365.png

Last edited:
While the axles were out, pulled the birfs apart for a clean and an inspection. They looked like birfs. I swapped the drivers side and pass side at the last knuckle job and after about 5 years they look happy where they are.

Disassembled with a long pipe and some bangin'... was lucky enough not to shear the clips this time :) Might be worth grabbing a set ahead of this job, just in case. P/N: 90521-34005 and they are a couple bucks each

1700449129364.png

I saw a guy on youtube do this with grease in a bag... man it's nice! Maybe I should start frosting cakes:
1700449332513.png

1700449207395.png

Here is a real good video for determining if your Eaton E-Lockers are working. They don't make any noise and require the ring gear to rotate a bit to slide the pins in:

Here's a video that shows how it works:

Just did this and verified that my front and rear lockers are functioning :)

Dash lights and factory switch are working too :)
1700600841384.png

While I had the door sill covers out I noticed a fair bit of water on both sides. Thankfully the one time it rained in Phoenix I happened to notice the leak.
I pulled the sunroof out, making sure to destroy the brittle garnishes, and brought the glass into the garage to do the inner tube seal mod.

As you know, the sunroof seal on the 80 is NOT replaceable, you'd need to replace the entire glass to get the seal. What you can do though, is add some rubber between the sunroof frame and the seal. with the top of the sunroof on the bench, you can spread the seal and slide in a strip of inner tube that's about 1/4" thick and 26" in diameter. Lucky I have a whole bunch of 26" tubes laying around.

1700616611417.png

Gave the seals a good scrub down with simple green. I use simple green on RC Car race tires, it makes them sticky and brings some life into the rubber, seems like it worked here too. The seals were real dirty:
1700616673872.png

Also cleaned the roof seal area, it was real dirty too, and cleaned some dirt out of the sunroof drain gutters:
1700616893007.png

New TRE's went on, I got brave and I think I managed to set my toe correctly following this thread:

Two chunks of angle iron, marked 30" and center. Mounted to rotor, with center under hub, leveled with a bubble:
1700709166716.png

1700709141654.png

I started out with ~ 1/8 of tow OUT (rear narrower than the front). Set it to just under 1/8" of toe IN.
1700709234325.png

Still need to set the relay rod to get the steering straight and reset the knuckle stops, that's a project for tomorrow.

I had more issues today with knuckle studs, it appears that I let me inner gorilla out when I was popping the cones and ovalized a few of the cone seats in the flanges... my guess is that it's putting an oblique load on the fasteners and leading the threads to fail (not shear like the original failure the other day). I got everything buttoned up, but left the two suspect studs on the passenger side "super snug". I ordered new flanges and more OEM studs, we'll see if that solves my stud issue... Drivers side is good to go:
1700709547336.png

I had to remove a cross bar from my prinsu rack, and subsequently my awning, when I pulled the sunroof. I am seriously unimpressed with the hardware on this rack... It's been through maybe 3 rain events since I installed in, 50% of the time this rack has been under a car cover and has lived it's entire life (about a year and a half) in Phoenix...

Cheese grade with bad coating:
1700709688024.png

I wire brushed and lubed, still galled and failed:
1700709714480.png

I'm not sure what I'll ultimately do with the roof rack and the awning.

Last edited:
New TRE's went on, I got brave and I think I managed to set my toe correctly following this thread:

Two chunks of angle iron, marked 30" and center. Mounted to rotor, with center under hub, leveled with a bubble:
View attachment 3489244
View attachment 3489243

I started out with ~ 1/8 of tow OUT (rear narrower than the front). Set it to just under 1/8" of toe IN.
View attachment 3489248

Still need to set the relay rod to get the steering straight and reset the knuckle stops, that's a project for tomorrow.

I had more issues today with knuckle studs, it appears that I let me inner gorilla out when I was popping the cones and ovalized a few of the cone seats in the flanges... my guess is that it's putting an oblique load on the fasteners and leading the threads to fail (not shear like the original failure the other day). I got everything buttoned up, but left the two suspect studs on the passenger side "super snug". I ordered new flanges and more OEM studs, we'll see if that solves my stud issue... Drivers side is good to go:
View attachment 3489250

I had to remove a cross bar from my prinsu rack, and subsequently my awning, when I pulled the sunroof. I am seriously unimpressed with the hardware on this rack... It's been through maybe 3 rain events since I installed in, 50% of the time this rack has been under a car cover and has lived it's entire life (about a year and a half) in Phoenix...

View attachment 3489251

View attachment 3489253

Sucks to hear about the roof rack. I am hoping that Jeff Westcott takes me up on my offer to allow them to use the 80 for R&D. I am really impressed with a lot of their products and looking at their low pro rack for the 5th Gen 4runner.

What else would I be doing on Turkey day? I'm sick with a cold and have been disowned by family, so I am finishing up the 80. First highway run and it feels GREAT. The new TRE's and Trunnion bearings took up the shimmy I was feeling on curves, the new DC drive shaft took away the vibration I was feeling in the floor, and the gears make a huge difference in drivability.

Made a little sheet to calculate my new speeds. 37's and 4.88's get's your speedo indicating close to factory. This is close enough to ignore the difference, well within the precision and accuracy of a 5mph demarcated instrument!
1700780968517.png

Last edited:

View attachment 3489244
View attachment 3489243

View attachment 3489248

View attachment 3489250

View attachment 3489251

View attachment 3489253

An update on this. Prinsu sent me a new crossbar and hardware for that crossbar. No resolution on the rest of the hardware which will absolutely gall and fail when i need to pull them apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom