Sunroof weatherstriping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jjdeneen918

SILVER Star
Threads
I believe the general consensus for sealing the sunroof, when leaking, is to replace the entire sunroof assembly.

I found a few part numbers online.
63252-60010
63254-60010
They are listed as sunroof weatherstriping. Would these not seal a leaking sunroof?

I’d like to not but an entire sunroof assembly is the gasket is available by itself.

If anyone (Beno) or others have an answer, that would be awesome!

Read a thread here recently where a 26” bicycle tire tube was used to seal up a sunroof.

I’d rather just buy the OEM part & be done with it.

Anyone know the parts needed?

Does the sunroof assembly
63201-60023, $443.75, come with new weather striping?

Or do you need to buy the weatherstriping (63252-60010, $79.55 & 63254-60010, $71.06) in addition to the sunroof assembly?

It is my understanding that all sunroofs leak and that there is no way to completely, 100%, all the time, forever, seal the edge around the glass where it meets the roof, and retain a functional sunroof. That is why they put drains in the assembly. I think the first thing to do is to thoroughly clean the seal around the glass and condition it with some sort of vinyl or rubber conditioner. This is assuming you have already made sure the drains are clear.

Many of the 80s had those sunroof wind deflector visor things added at the original dealer. Im not entirely sure what purpose they were supposed to serve to begin with, but they certainly kept the front edge of the seal from ever getting washed or cleaned. Thus the seal is dirty, crusty, hardened, etc... (The tinted plastic hood-bug-deflectors did the same thing. Both of these items should always be immediately removed, destroyed, burned and disposed of in the dustbin of history, on sight.)

Oh and stop going through drive-thru car washes. :D

I found the bicycle tube to be incredibly difficult to feed into the slot. A previous thread mentioned fine gauge wire like 22 or 24 gauge. After giving up on the bicycle tube, I pushed the wire in the slot with interior panel tools. This took a quarter of the time and after reinstalling the sunroof, the interior is quiet. No wind noise and no leaks.

For the umpteenth time.....the 80 Series sunroof seal is part of the glass assembly. YOU HAVE TO BUY THE GLASS TO GET IT.

For the umpteenth time.....the 80 Series sunroof seal is part of the glass assembly. YOU HAVE TO BUY THE GLASS TO GET IT.

I alluded to that in my original post.

The question is what the other part numbers are that say they are weather striping.

More important question after that, are those other part numbers part of the $400 “sunroof assembly”?

The numbers in the original post seal the sunroof pan to the roof panel. They do not come with the glass. The "pan" is essentially the housing that the sunroof glass and all the related transport parts fit in. The "pan" is the sunroof housing, 63203-60010.

The numbers in the original post seal the sunroof pan to the roof panel. They do not come with the glass. The "pan" is essentially the housing that the sunroof glass and all the related transport parts fit in. The "pan" is the sunroof housing, 63203-60010.

63201-60023 Is the part I purchased. Correct?

63201-60023 Is the part I purchased. Correct?

I'm not sure I understand the question. 63201-60023 is a sunroof glass part number, if that is what you are asking. The glass has the weatherstripping that seals it to the roof opening.

Yes. That is what I was after.
I ordered that part last night
I just didn’t know if I needed those other parts that were listed as “weather striping.

I'm not sure I understand the question. 63201-60023 is a sunroof glass part number, if that is what you are asking. The glass has the weatherstripping that seals it to the roof opening.

Yes. That is what I was after.

I ordered that part last night $442.00

I just didn’t know if I needed those other parts that were listed as “weather striping, in addition to the “sunroof assembly”.

Wait a second, you ordered a new sunroof glass for $442 to fix the leak?

A new glass/seal was the only thing that fixed mine. The seal was simply allowing more water than what the drains could handle.

Note when you install it that it might sit higher than the existing glass. Remove the factory shims as necessary. I think I only needed one shim at each position rather than the two stacked shims that came from the factory. The result is that the seal sits just slightly higher than the roof which has worked perfectly. You’ll also notice the design of the seal has been updated.

Additional shims are available if the new glass sits lower.

If the seal was in decent shape (no tears) but just old and worn out; couldn't we just swell the rubber a bit with brake fluid, clean, and then treat with silicone grease like Sil-Glyde???

If the seal was in decent shape (no tears) but just old and worn out; couldn't we just swell the rubber a bit with brake fluid, clean, and then treat with silicone grease like Sil-Glyde???
If you look at the link I posted above, there is a simple process for making things right again. I've done this on 2 80 Series so far and it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom