FZJ 80 Series Land Cruiser Electrical/Transmission Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. New 80 series owner here. Just bought my 80 recently and ran in to a snag. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

What happened:

While off roading, my transmission fluid hose that runs in to the bottom of the radiator completely disconnected dumping all of my tranny fluid while driving. Soaked the entire frame all the way to the rear axle. Lost every drop and rolled to a stop along the side of the road while driving back home. Smoke was everywhere (assuming the smoke was from the trans fluid on the exhaust system as it smelled like burnt trans fluid). Got it towed home, fixed the hose, and refilled with trans fluid. To my surprise she drove again without any issues initially.

Two days later I noticed some decent fluctuation in the RPM’s while driving. Naturally, I assumed the transmission either must have took damage or I didn’t put enough fluid back in. Confirmed that there was plenty of trans fluid. Then, the next morning it wouldn’t even start. Battery still had power so it didn’t die over night. Then all of a sudden it started right up again with no issues. Now while idling the RPMs fluctuate and it dies sometimes but will quickly regain power before going completely dead. It’s like there is a power loss issue or a bad connection somewhere. It never did this before the incident happened.

I’m wondering if the transmission fluid soaked an electrical component somewhere and there is moisture trapped or something along these lines. Just curious what everyone else’s thoughts are here.

I have double checked that there is plenty of transmission fluid. Both while in hot and cold state.

Something else odd that it is doing arbitrarily now. All three rear lights will randomly come on and stay on. Even while parked and not on. They came on while driving down the road recently as well without pressing the breaks. My sister confirmed this while driving behind me.

If anyone has any thoughts on what could be going on I would be greatly appreciative. I have a new transmission on the way in case I’m going to need it as well.

What would cause arbitrary power loss and RPMs to fluctuate while both driving and idling???

What are the chances the transmission is cashed?

Thank you in advance.

Trans is likely OK as you didn't try to drive without fluid.
When the hose popped off, the fan blew trans fluid all over everything including the starter and alternator. I would start there first.
Thanks man! Was thinking starter as well. Going to test it. I will provide updates as I progress. Appreciate the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom