Builds Keaton's '03 LX470 Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered new springs for my rear to fix the sag and hopefully net a much better road experience. The ride still feels very sharp and jarring. I thought with new tires I'd see a bit of improvement (more sidewall than stock tires) but I don't feel much if any difference between the 8 year old stock tires that were on it and what I have now.

I'm also hoping that with the rear sagging as much as it is, new coil springs will fix some of the pulsing vibrations I've been getting. My theory is that the pinion angle has changed enough (1" difference from spec in center of rim to bottom of fender lip) that those vibrations can be attributed to this.

Plus, with properly functioning springs, I'm also hoping the whole car undulates less over large bumps, and "jitters" less over road discrepancies (not bumps per se, just paving that isn't perfectly flat).

I also finally got my new toy back:

4D28766D-150D-4DA1-86FC-1D892E3C4F3F_1_105_c.jpeg

Well "back", waiting on a few more things to really tear into it.

I changed the oil at 5500 miles last weekend. Oil looked clean. Filled and spun on a new filter. Heres to more miles.

CFAF0B6D-9791-44A3-BBC3-F3647B9AF258_1_105_c.jpeg
F50A5D4E-6EEA-470C-899F-58546908F150_1_105_c.jpeg
B6AAB12E-CC77-4647-B919-5E5A2E4BB97B_1_105_c.jpeg
DA4881A7-C807-4DC9-A5B2-E352423CCEF0_1_105_c.jpeg

Just spent more on an OEM fender than I did my E30. $450. Cheapest I could find.

Not sure when I can spray it, but at least I have the dang thing. Next, I need some glass OEM headlights.

I also purchased a ML driver's side speaker from @Beto Cruiser. Sounds great!

What do you guys think of these upper trailing arm bushings?

Well, more miles and more smiles!

I did replace the rear AHC coils to fix rear pressures, not a huge difference but the rear end bobs less over bumps. Feels sturdy and firm. I still get the horrible thud/grind when turning right, still not 100% sure what is happening there. I wonder if the C-clip is loose to cause a problem with the CV being pulled out too far when turning. Been through it twice! Really wonder if there is something wrong with the front diff output bearings, since the vibration at speeds hasn't gone away. Still might be tires, I keep getting them balanced.

I got a set of the 05+ taillights in and plasti-dipped the rear badges:
IMG_2253.jpeg

Sank the car a few weeks later:
IMG_2409.jpeg

Cleaned the interior up real well, finally got the deep clean it deserved from day one. Doesn't smell a bit like pond water. Nothing electrical died, thankfully. The starter relay or something was acting up for a bit, but it stopped acting funny a week later. Who'da thunk?

I'm still thinking my rear trailing arm bushings are shot, but everything on this car is on hold until the BMW is finished.

Hey Keaton, you have a fantastic writeup on your LX. I just picked up a cherry 2000 and am going through base-lining everything and going to do bushings and AHC fluid before getting 285's and sliders. My question for you is: do you have a list of susp bushings you have replaced and where you purchased them? I am thinking of going Moog bc i like them and they tend to be less than toyo. Also would you be able to tell me which bushings you used for the lower rear shocks, trailing arms, and panhard etc.

Hey Keaton, you have a fantastic writeup on your LX. I just picked up a cherry 2000 and am going through base-lining everything and going to do bushings and AHC fluid before getting 285's and sliders. My question for you is: do you have a list of susp bushings you have replaced and where you purchased them? I am thinking of going Moog bc i like them and they tend to be less than toyo. Also would you be able to tell me which bushings you used for the lower rear shocks, trailing arms, and panhard etc.

So far, I've just replace steering rack bushings, and shock bushings.

Rear Shock:
- Lower cushion - 90948-01078 (x2)
- Upper cushion - 90948-01077 (x2) *I did not replace these, not much wear)
- Bushing - 90385-19010 (x2)

Front Shock:
- Lower cushion - 90948-01075 (x2)
- Upper cushion - 90948-01076 (x2)
- Bushing - 90903-89016 (x2)

For the steering rack, I'm pretty sure I used some SuperPro bushings:

I still need to find and replace upper/lower control arm bushings, upper/lower trailing arm bushings, and the panhard bar bushings. They're toast now, just too expensive to replace right now.

I did make this list of bushing options for control and trailing arms, based off of diagrams and CruiserOutfitters
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 3.37.23 PM.png

Attached is a PDF with copy-and-pastable part numbers

Attachments

• LX470 Bushings.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for that list. What are your thoughts on the poly bushings for the steering rack? Are they too hard (too much vibration in steering wheel) or are they smoother, tighter, and just a good purchase

Thanks for that list. What are your thoughts on the poly bushings for the steering rack? Are they too hard (too much vibration in steering wheel) or are they smoother, tighter, and just a good purchase
I think poly is fine. You don’t want much flex there. It’s not designed to really “soak” bumps up like the suspension is, just keeps the rack in place without being directly bolted onto the frame. I enjoyed how tight the steering felt after I finished. I’d go rubber for just about anything else.

I have a similar vibration in my 2003 LX470. 2 sets of tires, alignment, new rear driveshaft, bushings, tie rods, etc etc. No excessive play that I can find. You can feel it slightly in the seat and only half the time can you see it in the steering wheel.

Nice work on the LX! Any luck isolating the source of the vibration at highway speeds? I'm chasing the same issue on my '99 LX 470. Rebuilt the transmission, new tires, new OEM drive shafts, new bushings all around etc..... Any information you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT...There is a TSB regarding the vibration we are discussing. Unfortunately, the recommended fix is a COMPLETE transfer case replacement. Ugggg. Hope someone on the forum has another option/opinion to share.

Last edited:
View attachment 2024926

I was originally looking at Land Cruisers, but I found an LX470 with 225k for $9k.

The 202 color code in the door, the Mark Levinson sound system, and the clean interior sold me. The truck was well maintained with about 8 pages of service records. So stoked.

My first car was a black 1993 Toyota 4Runner--same color. Black Onyx.

Maintenance:

226k - December 23rd 2018 - Weathertech Floor Liners and new hood struts
226k - January 7th 2019 - TOY45BT Install (Bluetooth Audio)
227k - January 12th 2019 - AHC Fluid Flush
227k - February 17th 2019 - Shifter Bezel Replacement
228k - March 9th 2019 - Heater Ts/Front Running Board Delete and Front Mud Flaps
228k - March 10th 2019 - New Nitto Ridge Grappler 275/65/R18s
228k - March 12th 2019 - Steering Rack Bushings Replacement/AHC Globe Replacement (used, front)
230k - April 27th 2019 - Front Wheel Bearings, PS CV Axle Replacement, and Tie Rod Ends Replacement
231k - June 9th 2019 - Rear Driveshaft Replacement
232k - July 9th 2019 - Transmission Replacement/Roof Rack Replacement
233k - July 16th 2019 - Driver's Side Door Lock Motor Replacement
235k - August 16th 2019 - AHC Globe Replacement (wtvuk)
236k - August 24th 2019 - AHC Shock Bushing Replacement/Gear Oil Change

@128keaton I recently acquired an ‘06 LX and have been creating a similar thread and documenting the maint. How do you go about linking posts on other threads to your original posts here?

Combing thru service history again for fun. I've had a windshield wind noise right above the driver's head since purchase and it looks like it has been there since 2004. Fun. Was taken back to the dealer to be fixed around ~4 times.

Subwoofer was replaced in '05, now it sounds bad again (foam looked good though?)

The antenna assembly was replaced in '08, since it only extended a few inches (same problem again though)

Fun times looking thru the service history. Looks like the PO was as anal about service and problems as I was.

@128keaton i also have this wind noise in top driver side windshield area but I know I also have a water leak there as well during heavy rain from a previous poor Safelite windshield replacement by previous owner. Any water leaks with yours?

i will replace with a Lexus windshield soon hopefully.

Nice work on the LX! Any luck isolating the source of the vibration at highway speeds? I'm chasing the same issue on my '99 LX 470. Rebuilt the transmission, new tires, new OEM drive shafts, new bushings all around etc..... Any information you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Still have no clue. The dealership told me my tire tread was too aggressive, but it had the same vibration on the OE size highway tires that it had on it when I bought it,
@128keaton I recently acquired an ‘06 LX and have been creating a similar thread and documenting the maint. How do you go about linking posts on other threads to your original posts here?

Each post has a link attached to the number:
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 1.34.12 PM.png

@128keaton i also have this wind noise in top driver side windshield area but I know I also have a water leak there as well during heavy rain from a previous poor Safelite windshield replacement by previous owner. Any water leaks with yours?

i will replace with a Lexus windshield soon hopefully.

Not that I am aware of. The dealer replaced this windshield, they used Lexus glass, but used screws instead of rivets.

Well, the vibration issue has gotten worse! 50MPH-80MPH sounds like a buurrRRRrrrRRRrrrrRRRrrrRRR (bearing). Really leaning towards doing upper and lower rear trailing arm bushings being the issue, I just hope that no bearings (diff or t-case) are permanently damaged. Under load or deaccelerating causes the pitch and frequency of the vibration to change. Very annoying to drive on the highway, doesn't feel very stable like that. Plus the sub is now blown, more power locks have bit the dust, and my rear DS window motor has stopped functioning. Also hit 245k so its probably deserved.

Ok, finally have time to work on this beast again. I've literally just been driving it, finally ticked over 260k the other day. I just replaced the trailing arm bushings (and broke the AHC height sensor in the process) which fixed my rear vibration/droning. The upper trailing arm bushings were so very shot. Next is replacing the LCA and UCA.

Glad to see you're back at it! Enjoyed reading through this thread. Lots of great info

Got all the control arms replaced, rides much better. Life is moving in a steady direction to where I now have shop space, a house, and a better income, so I can finally address some of the larger items this car needs, plus do some cool stuff I've been waiting to do.

At this point, I don't care about "resale value" I'd have to set it on fire to lose much money on it at this point. Considering I picked it up for $9k a few years ago and I can't find anything similar at the same price, I'm just gonna run it until gas prices are too high.

Really trying to fix the front end on this thing, the vibrations are killing me. I saved my (probably) OEM Toyota CVs when I swapped them out years ago for torn boots, and I finally ordered the re-boot kit from Toyota. I tried ordering the kit from ToyotaPartsDeal (p/n 04427-60120) but I received an email stating my order was cancelled and that the p/n was discontinued. Wtf? If BMW can still make dashboards for E30s (1982-1994) then Toyota can make rubber boot kits. Just snagged two kits on eBay for a slightly worse price.

Just ordered Power Stop brake pads and rotors to replace the rotors and pads that have been on there for roughly 40k miles. Pads are shot and rotors are warped, so figured a nice upgrade was in order.

Also grabbed a window motor to fix the dead one in the rear driver's side door.

I just ordered new springs for my rear to fix the sag and hopefully net a much better road experience. The ride still feels very sharp and jarring. I thought with new tires I'd see a bit of improvement (more sidewall than stock tires) but I don't feel much if any difference between the 8 year old stock tires that were on it and what I have now.

I'm also hoping that with the rear sagging as much as it is, new coil springs will fix some of the pulsing vibrations I've been getting. My theory is that the pinion angle has changed enough (1" difference from spec in center of rim to bottom of fender lip) that those vibrations can be attributed to this.

Plus, with properly functioning springs, I'm also hoping the whole car undulates less over large bumps, and "jitters" less over road discrepancies (not bumps per se, just paving that isn't perfectly flat).

I also finally got my new toy back:

View attachment 2142315

Well "back", waiting on a few more things to really tear into it.

I changed the oil at 5500 miles last weekend. Oil looked clean. Filled and spun on a new filter. Heres to more miles.
What's the plan for this?

Lemme guess, 1986 325 (without the e on the trunk)?

What's the plan for this?

Lemme guess, 1986 325 (without the e on the trunk)?
Haha, that one is long gone now, was a 1987 325 (without the e, but still had the 2.7 eta). I had a wreck in it, totally fubar’d the driver’s side. I put the motor in my convertible, wrecked that, fixing it currently. And I have another ‘87 sedan I’m doing a full resto on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom