Builds Keaton's '03 LX470 Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nothing like some fresh parts from Mr T!

The the front mud guard install was pretty easy after dropping the running boards. You reuse the coarse thread screw at the front of the running board to secure the mud guard at the same anchor. The six M7x1.0 bolts you need to order from Toyota are used as followed for each side: 2x for the bracket to the body and 1x for the mud guard to the bracket. The clip slides in on the outside edge of the mud guard. One of the other coarse threaded screws you should've ordered secures the mud guard beneath the rocker panel. Pretty easy, maybe took me 10 minutes per side going slow, cleaning out the threads, and without removing the wheels/tires.

You have to order the mud guards and brackets from Lexus, as the part numbers and parts themselves differ from the Toyota counterparts (thanks to the lower cladding)

This is what worked for me, on a 2003 LX470 (US)

You have to make sure that you test your tires!

Looks great Keaton! Totally transforms the look of that LX. Next mods on the list?
Thanks!

Probably new AHC globes as a long term goal ($800 is ALOT to swallow), going to eventually get glass lenses ($300), and potentially more exterior lighting. Not sure yet though.

The hood needs a repaint, and the rear most roof rack covers are missing. Those will get addressed at some point in the future.
More interior rattle fixing. I have a groan in the rear that could probably be springs or sway bar that needs to be addressed.

Front passenger fender needs to be replaced.

I need to flush the power steering fluid and replace all the gear oil at some point as well.

Going to try to finish fixing the night view cover this week before Colorado.

Ordered new 4.5" foam surrounds for the ML passenger door speakers.

I replaced the front steering rack bushings. Was extremely time consuming, but I got them all out.

I also pulled the gauge cluster to get at the Night View stuff to pull the rest of the broken tabs and pieces:

Also, hah, while I was out snapping those pics, my CDL light started working again.

I'll be checking my rear control arm bushings out today or tomorrow, as well as my body mount bushings. Frustrated that my TPD order with my windshield seal won't be in until after I get back. Might have to make a temporary fix.

Well, either I way overadjusted my torsion bars or when you replace your globes, your pressures will be different because I triple checked to find my front pressures in the low 5s. Tomorrow will be some more adjustment.

Well first leg is finished. Might need some new U-joints or something. Getting some vibrations from the rear. Going to make sure it’s not the tires at Discount, but I’m pretty sure it’s the u joints.

Well I had Discount re-balance, but it did not help. I checked for play in the rear driveshaft but couldn't find any by pushing and pulling, might jam a screwdriver in there and pry back and forth. There was a slight bit of play in the output shaft of the transfer case, but I mean very very little.

I tightened the roof rack down just in case the crossbars were vibrating in the wind. It is a very distinct vibration, a wub wub noise almost. You can see the defog lines in the rear view mirror get blurred when the mirror vibrates. Definitely coming from the rear, at 65-70+ MPH.

Any other suggestions, other than u joints? Can't replace until I'm back home on the 21st.

Finally back from my ski trip. Car performed admirably, minus the shaking/vibration above 70. That part was slightly miserable. Scheduled an appointment with the local Lexus dealership after grabbing a technician to ride with me. Hoping its just u-joints!

Fixed my glovebox soft-close tether. Had no idea it existed. Still slowly tracking down small rattles in the dash or door panels. Leather farts are the worst right now.

Accumulating miles pretty fast on this bad boy. Happy to report it will still hit 110mph (slowly).

Had my best mpg ever going down I-70 to Denver:

The salt spray is no joke.

I noticed I do not have the vibration dampener under the passenger side frame rail. Might have to track one of those down.

Any other thoughts as to what it might be?

Very consistent between 70-80, produces a pulsing noise, beyond that you just hear it and it is a very very fine vibration.

Still, lots of hours behind the wheel (2780 miles total, do the math)

I did change the gear oil in Little Rock on the way back. Very clean:

I ran a magnet thru the pan just to check as well

Potentially a related symptom to the shaking is when I go over a speed bump a bit too fast, I hear a clunk in the rear. Maybe a trailing arm bushing? Panhard bar bushing? Similarly a very hard stop to 0 mph does something similar, though that feels more like a driveshaft clunk.

Finally pulled my rear passenger and driver side door panels to see that, indeed, my speaker foam was gone.

Replaced with some new foam:

Well, I finally have time/money/weather to chase the pulsing vibration/shaking I have.

First things first was jacking up the front end and wiggling things. The front wheels had lateral play and we decided that it was the wheel bearings.

Upon disassembly, it was apparent that they had been repacked a couple times, but they needed to be replaced a long time ago. The discoloration of the bearings, the major cupping and scoring on the races, and the flat spots on the roller bearings confirmed this. Whoever did the 60k (230k) service (Lexus of Memphis arrrrrrgh) was extremely lazy.

I also finally decided to do something about my CV with the missing clamp. NAPA had a great deal going on, so I bought two of their CVs. The snap ring AND hub flange fit perfectly with no play, so I decided to just replace the one. I have the other NAPA one as a spare and I'll just reboot the OEM CV as a spare. Time well tell if the NAPA axle is any good (I've read all the threads, trust me, I know).

NAPA also carries Koyo (Japanese made) bearings with their Altrom part number. I didn't believe it until I went to the store and four blue Koyo boxes were presented to me.

Getting the lower ball joint out was a BEAR. It would not come out of the spindle. Took a torch, two sledges, and a good 3 hours to free it. Replaced with a Sankei-555 lower joint.

Shout out to Principle Toyota of Memphis for having their parts guy dig thru the all the technician's old parts bins trying to find me a nut I could destroy getting the lower ball joint out. Huge help!

I also discovered that my splines on my rear driveshaft are very worn. Surprising and disappointing. Stuffed it full of moly grease again to see how much longer I can make it last.

I also determined that my front AHC lower shock bushings are shot. Just in awful shape. Will be replacing here in the next month or so.

Last edited:

Make sure to test your parts!

Next paycheck is driveshaft time. Looking at $400 for a new OEM DS (may contact Beno unless anyone else has a cheaper price elsewhere). Looks like the p/n is 37110-6A650. Does anyone know if buying this includes new flanges and U-joints already installed? I searched for used ones everywhere, and with gas or shipping, I'm looking at a similar price for a USED driveshaft.

A chunk of tire struck me on the interstate recently:

Looking at DEPO clear corners since OEM corners are $200/apiece.
Still looking for a new front fender as this one just keeps getting worse and worse.

I flushed my power steering pump this weekend as it has begun whining (at least it sounds like PS pump whining). Whining was not fixed by flushing once, so I might try again later. The fluid that came out didn't look TOO bad.

OEM corners should be ~$70/side. 81621-60220 and -60240.

They were $54 each when I ordered them a few months ago (also for an ‘03), so shopping around with the part numbers in hand might get better than $70.

OEM corners should be ~$70/side. 81621-60220 and -60240.

They were $54 each when I ordered them a few months ago (also for an ‘03), so shopping around with the part numbers in hand might get better than $70.
Awesome. When I was searching I was on a poor connection so basic Google searches were about all I could do. Thanks!

Oh jeeze. I guess nix beno. Sad to see him go, looked like he was a real integral part in the LC community. Darn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom