Replacing my '03 LX470's Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
128keaton.com
Hey folks. Looks like I've just about secured purchase of a ~130k mile A750F out of an '07 4Runner to replace my A750F in my LX.

Background:
This truck has had the torque converter replaced twice already. First was when it experienced a lockup solenoid failure and when it was flat-towed to the shop, the torque converter was ruined. The second was later, at ~168k, for an unknown reason. Now, it needs a 3rd. I'm more than willing to bet that the servicing dealer did not clean or replace the valve body properly, resulting in this truck eating these last two torque converters. That is why I am replacing, as I do not think feeding it a 3rd will finally satiate the beast.

Swap Thought Process:
The A750F should bolt up to the 2UZ and the transfer case in my LX, provided I exchange bell housings (if needed) and the rear adaptor (pretty sure this is needed). The A750F came in the Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, LX 470, GX 470, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, and a few other vehicles overseas. At its core, it should (should being the operative word) be the same. The part numbers vary per application for the assembly, since the assembly appears to be sold with the rear adaptor, bell housing, and the actual transmission unit itself. Any year-to-year incompatibilities marked in the part system for the LC/LX platform, I believe, can be explained as follows:

• MY03 LC/LX was released with the A750F with a dipstick (part of the pan)
  • MY04-05 LC/LX was released/produced with an A750F without a dipstick, and Toyota WS-ATF being required.
  • MY06-07 LC/LX was released/produced with an A750F with a different clutch pack setup:
    Model ’06 Land Cruiser <= ’05 Land Cruiser
    The No. of Discs
    C1 No. 1 Clutch 7 <= 6
    C2 No. 2 Clutch 6 <= 5
    C3 No. 3 Clutch 5 <= 5
    B1 No. 1 Brake 4 <= 3

I believe that these part numbers being incompatible, going backwards, is simple. Why would Toyota put a A750F in an '03 without a dipstick? That would make the Owner's Manual 'wrong', simply because there would be no dipstick and WS ATF would be 'required' from that point forward. ToyoDIY.com also reports that the transmission in the '03 is marked as compatible '05, but not vice versa.

Questions/Concerns:

1. I have been offered an OEM Flex Plate and OEM Torque Converter (both at ~130k as well) at a great price. An OEM torque converter alone is $750, and I can't seem to find any other brand of torque converter that I'd be comfortable purchasing. Is this a bad idea? 130k is relatively low mileage, and torque converter failures seem to be few and far between. Open to suggestions!

2. The EWD for the A750F seems to be pretty basic, but I am still concerned about wiring differences between the 4 years of manufacturing. I think I will be fine, but if anyone has any information I am unaware of, please, let me know.

3. I have made a list of other items to purchase for this job, including:
  • Transmission Pan Gasket
  • Transmission Pan Filter
  • Synthetic WS-ATF (not sure if I want to go Toyota or not, because holy moly that stuff is very expensive compared to a high quality, actual synthetic ATF)
  • Toyota Red Coolant (remove rad to pull ATF cooler)
  • BG Transmission Flush
  • BG Transmission Conditioner
  • Gear Oil (transfer case)
Is there anything else I am missing? I couldn't find a gasket between the Transmission => Transfer Case, I think there is a shaft seal, but the FSM just calls for greasing of that seal, not replacement.

4. I'm pretty sure I will be swapping the '03 pan to the '07 transmission. Any reason not to? I will make sure the pan is clean, of course, before reinstalling.

Final Words/Credits:

@2001LC has been a great help at answering some of the questions I have had. In fact, I do not think this would've been possible without him. There are many, many threads discussing the A750F and the potential differences between the part numbers and the platforms they were installed in. His 'Unicorn' thread has many posts regarding the transmission that are a great read as well. Thank you @2001LC!

I will try my best to document this swap as best as I can, hopefully I won't run into any compatibility issues (though, why the hell would Toyota change the A750F across platforms without changing the model code, but anything is possible).

If anyone has anything else to add, please chime in below!

I anticipate headaches
81eQ4AfKNML._SY355_.jpg

The Bell Housing appears to be the same:

BellhousingCompatability.PNG

Working with @2001LC, he noticed that the extension housing has the fill plug on opposite sides (4Runner on passenger side, LC on the driver's side).

Snippet from the 2004 Land Cruiser factory service manual (note the refill plug side):
2004LandCruiserA750F-FillPlug.PNG

And a snippet from the 2007 4Runner factory service manual:
20074RunnerA750F-FillPlug.PNG

A thread at Pirate4x4.com has a couple pictures of an A750F with the extension housing removed:

Pretty sure just swapping the extension housings will be fine, plus my '03 doesn't even have a fill plug on the extension housing :)

Also: note the extension housing's part number was superseded and the same extension housing was offered for 2003-2007 LCs/LXs

The extension housing for the 4Runner is a different part number and is shared with the FJ Cruiser (but not the GX470, funnily enough):

Diagram image of the 2003 LX470 extension housing:
2003LX470ExtensionHousing.PNG

Diagram image of the 2007 4Runner extension housing:
20074RunnerExtensionHousing.PNG

Hope I never have this issue but thanks for documenting this so far

Man, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Happy to document. So far, I can't find anyone swapping an A750F between different vehicles. There have been a couple of Tacoma World posts, but no follow up. I did see a mud post about someone with an FJ40 or FJ80 (can't remember) with a 2UZ out of a Tundra and a A750F out of a Land Cruiser. Hopefully, I won't have too many headaches.

The extension housings are different but apparently swappable, what about the output shafts?

The extension housings are different but apparently swappable, what about the output shafts?

Not sure, unfortunately. I think that I read that the spline count was the same regardless. Length? Not sure, but once again, why would Toyota deviate on the A750F per platform, when they had removable extension housings and bell housings?

1. I have been offered an OEM Flex Plate and OEM Torque Converter (both at ~130k as well) at a great price. An OEM torque converter alone is $750, and I can't seem to find any other brand of torque converter that I'd be comfortable purchasing. Is this a bad idea? 130k is relatively low mileage, and torque converter failures seem to be few and far between. Open to suggestions!

If anyone has anything else to add, please chime in below!

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the currently installed flex plate. If there is anything that should be installed new, it would be a torque converter in my opinion and experience. Your going to be introducing whatever particles that were circulating around from the fluid of the transmission that it came from into your new donor transmission.

A potential option would be to find an actual transmission shop that does their own rebuilding in house to see if they can flush it and or rebuild it, but by the time you do that, you will likely be close to your new OEM converter.

On your parts list/idea,

I wouldn't introduce any transmission "flush" or conditioner into the system, nor would I pull the transmission cooler. Personally I would find a way to flush/pump several quarts of fluid through the existing lines as they're mounted on the vehicle. I would use some bulk valvoline WS compatible fluid and low air pressure or just even a hand fluid pump similar to what you would us when filling the front diff up that are roughly $10. Then use either Toyota WS or Amsoil WS compatible fluid once you get everything buttoned up. Remember to pour at least a quart into the torque converter prior to installing it, also you'll most likely need to pull the spark plugs to easily turn the motor over while installing the torque converter bolts.

Typically, this family of transfer cases uses the larger 19 spline input vs. the usual 23 spline of the smaller transfer cases. I would double check output shaft part numbers. In the previous 340 family of transmissions, the different output shafts can be swapped, but it requires a complete transmission disassembly which would be as much work as rebuilding your current a750f. I expect the a750 output shafts could also be swapped, but haven't had one apart yet personally.

Typically, this family of transfer cases uses the larger 19 spline input vs. the usual 23 spline of the smaller transfer cases. I would double check output shaft part numbers. In the previous 340 family of transmissions, the different output shafts can be swapped, but it requires a complete transmission disassembly which would be as much work as rebuilding your current a750f. I expect the a750 output shafts could also be swapped, but haven't had one apart yet personally.
Actually, I sunk most of my time into researching this yesterday. Yes, the output shafts WILL need to be swapped. Usually, the A750F is mated to a case which has a flange that sits into the extension housing, but the LC/LX transfer case sits flush against the transfer case and needs the shaft to come out of the transmission and into the transfer case.

LC/LX Shaft:
A750F-Large-Output-Shaft.jpg

Versus the FJ/4Runner/GX/Tacoma/Tundra/Sequoia shaft:
A750F-Small-Output-Shaft.jpg

It looks like a pain, but I figure that I can make 1 working transmission out of the two I have. I'm not looking to rebuild my current A750F since, for whatever reason, its eaten 3 torque converters. It could be installation error or something else, but I'd rather just swap what I need into the 130k, late model transmission with a better clutch pack system :)

Attached is Toyota's Overhaul guide. 70 steps to pull that shaft!

Attachments

• A750-Toyota-Overhaul.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,300
Actually,

I'm not sure anymore. I forgot that if I don't put a VIN into Toyodiy/ToyotaPartsDeal, an 03 could mean MY03 or BD03, so it showed both A343F and A750F parts (lol)

Here is a picture of a GX470/4Runner rear planetary gear assembly (output shaft for trans out the back):
GX-Planetary.jpg

And here is Toyota/Lexus Part Number 35760-60070:
LX470-RearPlanetaryGearAssy.PNG

I cannot find a real picture of one off the internet, does anyone have a pic when they had their MY03+ LX/LC transfer case removed?

Either way, not worried, just ready for the transmission to get here so I can get to work!

It sounds like a fun project! Good luck getting it sorted out!

The first of the five recent pictures you posted is from a 2wd Tacoma transmission which is set up for a slip yoke.

The second picture is correct.

The third picture is the output shaft from an a343f from either an 80 or 100 series. Unfortunately, the part catalog graphic used here isn't especially accurate. I can post a picture of this shaft if needed, but I don't think it will help you much as it is for the a343f.

The fourth picture is correct.

The fifth picture is also correct. I believe this part differs from the GX470/4runner (fourth picture) in that the spline count is different...19 vs 23.

It sounds like a fun project! Good luck getting it sorted out!

The first of the five recent pictures you posted is from a 2wd Tacoma transmission which is set up for a slip yoke.

The second picture is correct.

The third picture is the output shaft from an a343f from either an 80 or 100 series. Unfortunately, the part catalog graphic used here isn't especially accurate. I can post a picture of this shaft if needed, but I don't think it will help you much as it is for the a343f.

The fourth picture is correct.

The fifth picture is also correct. I believe this part differs from the GX470/4runner (fourth picture) in that the spline count is different...19 vs 23.

Lx470Output.jpg

RE: pic 1 and 5. This picture is an ebay listing of an '05 A750F out of a LC/LX

Has anyone swapped output shafts on a transmission before? Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I just wish I could disassemble the A750F from the output shaft side, not the input shaft.

I've been trying to track down JUST an O-ring kit for my transmission, but all I can find are full rebuild kits. Going to just reuse O-rings (carefully, from the low-mileage transmission only), but I'd feel better with a new set. Maybe I can find some large, generic sized ones if needed.

Since the LX is down for now (couldn't use forward gears this morning), I'm borrowing my father's truck. Great truck!
Picked up the used A750F at work and got it home and got it off the truck with a cherry picker.

Looks good!

Also, think I have enough ATF?

Well, I got the output shaft swapped!

(left, the final product, the 4Runner-turned-LX A750F. right is the differences between the 4Runner and LX shaft, respectively)

There were two very notable differences that were thankfully solvable. First being the park/neutral switch being different (pin out was different on the 4Runner). I just switched switch from my LX's old A750F and it was good!

The second was that the shift lever bracket was different. Once again, the LX's lever swapped over without problem.

The 4Runner A750F has a few different brackets to swap from the LX's A750F, and the 4Runner had two extra brackets not on the LX's, so those were just removed.

Disassembly of both transmissions (at the same time), wasn't too bad. Good snap ring pliers are definitely needed.

Here is a pic of the 4Runner and LX's AT filters, respectively:

The LX had a TOAST clutch in the C2 pack.

The fluid coming out of the 130k 4Runner A750F was dark brown, near black, but it IS Toyota's 'Lifetime ATF', so that is to be expected. After disassembly, it was cleaned/purged with new AISIN WS ATF:

IMG_0408.jpeg

And, lastly, a look down the throat of a healthy A750F.

I'd rate this probably a :banana::banana::banana::banana: job, maybe five (guess we will know soon enough).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom