Builds Keaton's '03 LX470 Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I finally replaced both expansion valves and cleaned my condenser. Was done with not having AC. Was just driving when the sun was down for the past two years. Air is now 40*F out the vents. I also had the entire car polished, considering it turns 20 in September, it turned out really good!

Since last post, I finally rebooted my OEM CVS and swapped those back on. Huge difference in smoothness on the road. Don’t waste your money on anything non-OE. I tried and tried and tried. I can swap a CV in less than an hour though!

About 15k more miles and it’ll be time for it’s 3rd timing belt.

Last edited:
I've always wanted a front bumper on the LX. The OE one was damaged (along with the crash bar) in a wreck from the PO. I figured at 275k it was due for a treat anyway.

I purchased the IronMan4x4 front bumper with the 7" meteor lights for like $1500 shipped with their sale. Was packaged so good and looked fantastic! Wanted a mount for a winch prepping for a Moab trip.

Installed in about 3 hours, biggest issue was one of the frame horns was messed up from the previous wreck.

Untitled by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Years ago, when re-doing my AHC, I set my torsion bars a bit higher to put less weight on the front end, with the intention of installing a metal bumper. Finally, it rides really nice!

The car has otherwise been reliable and happy for the past thousand miles. Still love it, best car purchase ever. Survived college and then some.

I’ve had this car for close to five years and in that time, all my highway driving has resulted in the front end of the car looking sandblasted. My hood was nasty and scarred by bird poop and sap the day I got it. Not too long after, I found out my passenger side fender was filled with bondo when I hit someone in a parking lot.
637FCD21-5C59-4922-B3BA-00A6A57F9660.jpeg

Forgot to snap a pic of the fender before but I’m sure it’s visible in a previous post. Lots of rock chips!

596C9CC7-329C-4506-88D1-B2F87AC21438.jpeg

B094194A-EA75-4606-8E13-9DF4C2D504EE.jpeg

E6848BB4-920D-4577-9E5F-A23C380A821F.jpeg

My headlight surrounds all but shattered a while back so I bought some off eBay and painted those black.

178C37C4-AB24-4634-B706-CF28F96BFE2C.jpeg

The fender was a Toyota replacement fender so fit was perfect as expected

23269B9F-8815-4CE6-9611-01888FA9BF67.jpeg

Finally fitted! Still needs to be wet sanded to get a few imperfections out but I’m waiting for the paint to harden enough.

The knock off headlights sucked so I dropped some coin on the real deal glass 1998-2002 LX470 assemblies. Hopefully these last longer than the knockoffs. Fit and finish is much better as expected for nearly twice the cost
IMG_2488.jpeg

IMG_2487.jpeg

I was also about ready to replace my Nittos finally. They were pretty decent and wore really well, lasted a long time too, 45k/4 years, I’m happy though. I ended up with Michelin Defenders and I have to say the ride and noise is so much better.

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

Still 265/75R18s

I saved one of my old ones to throw on the spare.
Car has been doing great otherwise, really close to 280k and about ready for its second (!!) timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. Considering swapping the fan clutch out for better AC performance while I’m in there. I took the LX down to New Orleans last weekend and it was just hot and miserable outside, the A/C couldn’t keep me cool. Also still need to install and hook up my electric fan for the condenser. After that, I’ll probably redo the front seats since they’re now pretty worn.

I still love the iron man front bumper, everyone else loves the look too, it’s a good deal for what you get. All the included lights still function and look great (no water inside).

Great thread! Surprised that I hadn't seen it yet.

Hood looks great. Mine needs the same treatment. Can you outline what you did and products used? Thx

Hood looks great. Mine needs the same treatment. Can you outline what you did and products used? Thx
I completely repainted it.

I started by sanding off the old paint and getting it down to primer/bare metal where there were dents. Filled in dents with Bondo and tapped out what I could. Thick coat of primer then block sanding for hours, little bit of wet sanding. More primer. Then color, and more wet sanding. Finally clear coat and wet sanding, then cutting/polishing. I got all products from a local automotive paint store, and generally followed their recommendations. Spraying is the hardest part, dust is your enemy.

Did you use a spray gun or cans?

The knock off headlights sucked so I dropped some coin on the real deal glass 1998-2002 LX470 assemblies. Hopefully these last longer than the knockoffs. Fit and finish is much better as expected for nearly twice the cost
View attachment 3398449

View attachment 3398450

I was also about ready to replace my Nittos finally. They were pretty decent and wore really well, lasted a long time too, 45k/4 years, I’m happy though. I ended up with Michelin Defenders and I have to say the ride and noise is so much better.

View attachment 3398451
View attachment 3398452

Still 265/75R18s

I saved one of my old ones to throw on the spare.
Car has been doing great otherwise, really close to 280k and about ready for its second (!!) timing belt, water pump, and thermostat. Considering swapping the fan clutch out for better AC performance while I’m in there. I took the LX down to New Orleans last weekend and it was just hot and miserable outside, the A/C couldn’t keep me cool. Also still need to install and hook up my electric fan for the condenser. After that, I’ll probably redo the front seats since they’re now pretty worn.

I still love the iron man front bumper, everyone else loves the look too, it’s a good deal for what you get. All the included lights still function and look great (no water inside).
From whom did you get your new headlights? My plastic ones are terrible, and I’m close to being ready to bite the bullet. TIA.

From whom did you get your new headlights? My plastic ones are terrible, and I’m close to being ready to bite the bullet. TIA.
I searched on eBay looking for Lexus/Toyota dealers selling them. They were very expensive but worth every penny. Car looks incredible and lights at night are great. Just make sure you buy 98-02 assemblies, anything later will be plastic

So a while back, my catalytic converters were swiped off the bottom of my car. I’ve been living with a half fixed solution for a few years until deciding to fix it. About three weeks ago, me and my father went and removed the cat portions from the car, but managed to break four studs on the manifolds (doh). Manifolds had to come off the truck. Fortunately, there was not any damage/cracking on my manifolds, so we just replaced the studs. Then we installed two walker cat sections, and a cat back kit from Northeastern. The walker stuff is OK, but the northeastern stuff was really nice. Replaced all nuts and gaskets with OE hardware. Also replaced all o2 sensors with new Densos. With the manifolds off, it’s not much work to swap the motor mounts. Swapped those out, and also replaced my upper and lower trailing arms. I previously swapped the bushings in them, however they were already torn and allowed for axle play.

Car is really nice, smooth and quiet again at last!

IMG_0812.jpeg

I have made a questionable financial decision but I think it is for the better. A friend was involved in an accident with his 2004 LX470, and I happened to be able to purchase it after it was totaled. Just now need to find some small things and get it fixed.

IMG_0814.jpeg

Car has ~229k, pretty much stock with a few additions. Fat stack of service history. Runs great, rides good, no frame damage, good truck.

IMG_0795.jpeg

Pretty much the clone of mine, minus night vision

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom