Joe Rogan's 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me either. Get yours Mr Ward. But Joe, I love your podcasts, esp the fight companions... that multi-six fig 80 he built you is hideous.

Curious which shops make the NL top 5 legit list...

In my line of work I regularly see other-wordly $$$ as well and everything Joey said is 100% spot on and accurate, at least in my experience. When folks like you or I fault people like Rogan for spending "multi-six fig" on what amounts to be a very clean but somewhat basic build of an 80, understand that to them it is legitimately irrelevant and they do not at all care.

Think of it like this, if you were at the grocery store, about to buy a very nice candy bar for $1.25, but multiple genuine people showed up just as you were about to purchase it talking about how much better the $4 one a few isles down was in every respect, would you actually give a ****, or even notice if when you bit into it, it tasted the same? You probably wouldnt even think twice about it, you'd just drive home while eating it and then walk in and tell your wife about all the other things that happened in your day.

You wouldnt notice and it wouldnt matter. This is Rogan and his 80. This is likely every one of Ward's clients.

In my line of work I regularly see other-wordly $$$ as well and everything Joey said is 100% spot on and accurate, at least in my experience. When folks like you or I fault people like Rogan for spending "multi-six fig" on what amounts to be a very clean but somewhat basic build of an 80, understand that to them it is legitimately irrelevant and they do not at all care.

Think of it like this, if you were at the grocery store, about to buy a very nice candy bar for $1.25, but multiple genuine people showed up just as you were about to purchase it talking about how much better the $4 one a few isles down was in every respect, would you actually give a f***, or even notice if when you bit into it, it tasted the same? You probably wouldnt even think twice about it, you'd just drive home while eating it and then walk in and tell your wife about all the other things that happened in your day.

You wouldnt notice and it wouldnt matter. This is Rogan and his 80. This is likely every one of Ward's clients.

All I said was his 80 was hideous. I couldn't care less how much he spent as an 80 needs very little money to make it look awesome.

All I said was his 80 was hideous. I couldn't care less how much he spent as an 80 needs very little money to make it look awesome.
Well, you seem to care at least a little how much he spent as you specifically pointed it out. I agree with the rest of your post though.

I think its a great looking 80. It doesn't have 24" spinner diamond wheels and a flame paint job like some shops do for high end clientele SUV's. I guess it could be built cheaper, however I have not seen any examples of a similar type build from another shop. If you know of one post it up. I imagine any decent sized shop in California has to charge 150.00 an hour at least to keep the doors open. On top of that it sounds like TLC replaced a ton of parts with new. New Toyota parts are not cheap. I think the ABS modulator is like 2k. Rear defroster glass is almost 1k.

I get it, a high end restoration, essentially a new 80. If you were going to do this level of restoration(complete tear down, re-plating of all hardware and replacement of all soft parts) at some point you'd have to ask yourself if you wanted it all stock or do upgrades to make it more useful/comfortable to you.
Seems Joe wanted a new 80 but wanted to do alot of the same stuff we do to ours(lift,lockers,winch bumper etc.) and decided to add 550hp while it was apart. I don't see the point of doing this level of restoration to a 80 simply because of their relatively low value/desirability but I do see the attraction of driving a new 80 series. I mean, wouldn't it be great to find a perfectly preserved 3000 mile 80?

I have no idea why everyone gets so excited about this 80. There are billions of em in aus and s***loads of them are better and more practical then this one. Maybe not as pretty. I would rather own my s***box 80 then own that thing. The price is a ****ing joke. At the start of the video I thought it was gonna blow my mind but really it's just a clean 80.

The main thing I can appreciate about this build (regardless of the cost) is the factory quality of the motor/trans swap and getting all the electricals dialed to work perfectly. That's not a small task to get it to this level of fit and finish. Yeah, I'm sure it could be accomplished for far less cost.

I get amused by people who criticize how people choose to spend their money. Do you want someone to tell you you're an idiot for how you choose to spend your money? Didn't think so. Do your thing and let others do theirs.

This is the exact same concept as the Singer Porsche's with a very comparable effort involved. In the case of the Singer, the cost is usually around $750k AFTER the donor car. $400k for a frame off restoration and effort that goes into a turn-key 100% integrated swap that retains stock components is about right.

I'd have done things differently but by $$$ expenditure at his net spending, he spent about $15k comparatively. (his total income vs my total income percentage-wise). If you could buy that rig or do everything that was done to that rig for $15k, would you?

If that Bezos guy took a liking to cruisers he'd spend 10X what Joe did. It would be Electric powered with a super charged Tesla engine and air conditioned seats. It would have everything dialed in correctly. Hell, he'd probably get built-in cupholders. Good for Joe. Tired of the video though.

I'd rather see @NLXTACY drive down the road, hit the beach and hydroplane across the tops of the waves in his bada$$$$ cruiser.

Can you do that?

I’d like to think Joe Rogan has read some of these threads and laughs. Guaranteed most of you if you were in his financial position would not think twice about the money spent building a cruiser exactly how you want it. Hell his one podcast with Bob Lazar probably paid for this 80 :rofl::greyalien:

If that Bezos guy took a liking to cruisers he'd spend 10X what Joe did. It would be Electric powered with a super charged Tesla engine and air conditioned seats. It would have everything dialed in correctly. Hell, he'd probably get built-in cupholders. Good for Joe. Tired of the video though.

I'd rather see @NLXTACY drive down the road, hit the beach and hydroplane across the tops of the waves in his bada$$$$ cruiser.

Can you do that?

Damn, I thought for sure YOU were Bezos... Now I'm out $5 and eliminated in the office pool.

:cheers:

9E980A7E-B1BC-49CE-9E8D-F4A8E67E5DCD.jpeg

I like Joe Rogan, Hes an interesting person that gets paid a lot of money to talk to other interesting people. He spent some of his money on an overpriced 80 with sweet interiors and an ls3. i'm a little jealous i cant afford to do something similar to my 100. even if i could afford it im pretty sure id have to park it in the dog house while my wife spent the rest of our money on a lawyer.

Aside from JW doing a few select moves that kinda hurt the 40 crowd, I could care less about Icon.

Joe’s funny IMO, and between a Nova he has & a ‘Cuda he had built a few years ago, more power to him. He’s got good taste, like him or not.
And if he wanted a 80, he sure got one, no denying that.

And he’s got the $$$ to not give 2 fawks if he beats it up (that’d be my fear with that nice a rig top to bottom).

In the end, Joe’s rig - Joe’s life. It has no bearing on me.

But Ward is still a wank. ;)

-And I had to laugh @Bludozer comment on the “$4 choc bar” - the real wild fellas are the over-the-top home audio / studio guys.
I’m sorry, but those who claim to hear the difference between $800 cables & $1000 cables are the cucks.
$200 cables & $4500 cables, sure - but incremental jumps like what Audioquest sells....nope.

I like Joe Rogan, Hes an interesting person that gets paid a lot of money to talk to other interesting people. He spent some of his money on an overpriced 80 with sweet interiors and an ls3. i'm a little jealous i cant afford to do something similar to my 100. even if i could afford it im pretty sure id have to park it in the dog house while my wife spent the rest of our money on a lawyer.
This is a sad story that’s becoming more and more common here on mud and Craigslist too. A lot of guys are living on a short leash these days. The short leash never worked for me and never will, this is something my ex-wife now understands and my current wife was smart enough to see before she said “I do”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom