Joe Rogan's 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

groundhogs day?

Joe Rogan is lame, I think he just decreased the value of our 80's

Like I said on the last time this 80 was posted......

NOT MY DREAM FZJ80!!!!

S-E-A-R-C-H

Yes it was a frame resto but I hate to say with the money that was “the total cost” they’re are many builds on Mud that maybe better than this. IMHO:hillbilly:

But I also can’t afford it so who am I to say.

Last edited:
So tired of hearing about this damn truck. So Joe Rogan owns an 80 that he paid a high dollar restoration shop to build for him because he is rich and famous. Yay! Whoop-tee-doo! That's nice. Good for Joe. I'm sure we will see him out on the trail and when we do, we can all gather around and get his autograph.

As a resident of Realville, I don't give a flying sh@t about Joe or his $400K truck. I'm just trying to not die of tetanus while replacing the floors in my raggedy FJ55. My jaw feels kind-of tight right now.

Last edited:
Hate hate hate, blah blah blah. Will someone please powder coat my frame? Nice truck; however, it is out of my reach. You guys are fun, thanks for the video and the reality check.

well no, because...

*brings mike closer*

when Icon builds a FJ80 they replace or refurbish EVERYTHING. It takes YEARS. Its a completely different vehicle when they're done. I was reading this article about how DMT can actually advance your thinking and make it easier for you to accomplish tasks like this because your pineal gland...jamie, can you get that article up...no, the other one. Yeah, the pineal gland actually makes your cells rejuvenate faster...here we go. Is it even an FJ80 when you're done, or is it a different car? Its entirely possible that its a COMPLETELY different car.

*looks over at screen*

look at that...yeah, that chimp must be what? 400 pounds? Jesus, those things will tear you to shreds.

Last edited:
Um, some vehicles are like art, you can either enjoy them, or stand around b!tchun an moanin about how you would do it better or whatever. Have at er, or enjoy it for what it is.

I do enjoy the JRE at work so I have my biases, and also think it the truck looks good, the LSA must be nice for California windy mountain highways, despite whatever the bill was.

I think this video should be posted weekly since everyone appears to be so triggered by it 🤣
If we could limit it to once a week instead of every day, that would be a huge improvement.

Watched the video last night. They say the vehicle was built for exploration. If that's the purpose, then the big empty space where the auxiliary fuel tank should go is a major oversight. All that money spent and they failed to maximize the purpose of the build.

Watched the video last night. They say the vehicle was built for exploration. If that's the purpose, then the big empty space where the auxiliary fuel tank should go is a major oversight. All that money spent and they failed to maximize the purpose of the build.
We would all change a number of things, i agree with this one, maybe hard to do in cali though, you know how THEY are....

We would all change a number of things, i agree with this one, maybe hard to do in cali though, you know how THEY are....

I agree, there is probably a couple things that could be done to move this from more of an Icon show piece to a bit more expedition style.

There are the toyota JDM components which I think would be allowed for that (JDM auxillary fuel tank), would be a good piece of kit and the shop could/should have done that, especially since they relocated the rear tire.

Tailgate storage should have been done too IMO.

Last edited:
ever seen an ICON? they are OK they rebolt, rebuild etc. but seriously paying a quarter mil or more and its not even a sick set up? I dont know man. Plus I dont get along with Joe so I have a bias.

I am constantly getting reminded of that truck while I've been building up my turbo truck and the extent I've been going to rebuild it.

ICON is less than 5 miles from my house. I see their stuff nearly everyday. I also use some of their same vendors on stuff and have been for years. I've done exactly two frame off restos but both well over a decade ago. These projects do not take years because there is "years" worth of work. They take "years" because the entire focus isn't 100% on the build throughout the year. It takes days/weeks/months to find components, design components, machine components, have components build by an outside vendor. These builds are always a game of "hurry up and wait".

The issue with an ICON build is yes, they are cool, I don't deny it. But there isn't a massive amount of totally customization done to it that warrants the cost. Anyone who has done stuff like this knows the cost should barely approach 6 figures. But I'm not Jonathan Ward. I'm not ICON. None of us have the cache that he does. So there is a 100% markup on that. Then you have a really high profile customer, that changes the calculus.

I have worked for some VERY wealthy people. The guy that bought my last company started OAKLEY. I've witnessed how he purchases extreme purchases. I've seen wealthy individuals outright reject a purchase because it wasn't expensive enough and thus wasn't exclusive enough. My guess is that Rogan happened to be that individual who wanted exclusivity and Ward was the individual who was more than happy to charge it and market off it. All it does it increase his brand. I don't fault him at all. But there are a few shops out there that build just as well (if not better) and aren't guided by exclusivity.

I don't fault him at all. But there are a few shops out there that build just as well (if not better) and aren't guided by exclusivity.

Me either. Get yours Mr Ward. But Joe, I love your podcasts, esp the fight companions... that multi-six fig 80 he built you is hideous.

Curious which shops make the NL top 5 legit list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom