Is there such a thing as a tool list of most everything needed for a FJ40 rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm a "Super Newbie" to the site. So, I apologize for any wrong ways I go about asking questions. I have my first rough FJ40 that I want to tear down and redo over time. I'm extremely excited but to be honest I'm a greenhorn at mechanics. Is there any master tool list someone has put together for tearing down the body and motor of an FJ40?

All of them…

You’d go crazy (and broke) trying to get everything you need to do everything on a 40.

A really comprehensive mechanics set is a good place to start. A good one though, not something from Harbor Freight.

Many of the tools are really for one job that hopefully you only have to do once (knuckles for instance) and the tools you can’t rig up can be “borrowed” from the auto parts store.

A good welder will eventually come in really handy (I love my Miller 211) for everything from body repairs to fabbing weird parts and even making other tools.

Watch a lot of videos and see what people are using and make a list. The “40 Channel” is pretty good.

I hope this helps,
Ian

My two bits:

For basic maintenance and tune-up stuff, a decent set of metric sockets and wrenches will get you going. Buy the best you can afford.

A set of JIS screwdrivers is also a worthwhile investment, along with pliers and vice grips, etc.

I think the way many of us amateur mechanics go about it is to buy other tools as you need them for specific repairs. Need a giant socket for a knuckle rebuild? Go drop the $30 and add it to your toolbox. It's easy to justify those kinds of purchases when it's like "well it would cost me $600 to have a mechanic do X, but if I buy a $100 in tools, I can do it myself."

Finally: the most important tool is the service manual for the year and model of your vehicle. There might be a digital version under the "Resources" tab on this site. Good luck!

Congrats on the 40!
Already great advice above, in a pinch an 10,12,13 and 14 mm combination wrench set will take apart 85% of a 40.

A wise man in Newnan, GA told me about this when I first got my 40.
I wanted to replace all the rusted hardware with new and the impact screwdriver (not brand specific) was a great help.

Kroil or Liquid wrench penetrating fluid are also a good idea.

Have fun! Lets see some pics.

My two bits:

For basic maintenance and tune-up stuff, a decent set of metric sockets and wrenches will get you going. Buy the best you can afford.

A set of JIS screwdrivers is also a worthwhile investment, along with pliers and vice grips, etc.

I think the way many of us amateur mechanics go about it is to buy other tools as you need them for specific repairs. Need a giant socket for a knuckle rebuild? Go drop the $30 and add it to your toolbox. It's easy to justify those kinds of purchases when it's like "well it would cost me $600 to have a mechanic do X, but if I buy a $100 in tools, I can do it myself."

Finally: the most important tool is the service manual for the year and model of your vehicle. There might be a digital version under the "Resources" tab on this site. Good luck!
“Finally: the most important tool is the service manual for the year and model of your vehicle. There might be a digital version under the "Resources" tab on this site.”

This^^^
Can’t believe I forgot the FSM

Get a paper version though, doesn’t need to be charged and doesn’t care if it gets dirty.

A Metric socket set.
Metric spanners.
Screwdriver set.
Multimeter.
Small set of pliers and cutters for electrical work.
Pipe wrench.
Big adjustable wrench.
Grease gun.
Gas torch.

When you run out of jobs that only need these tools then you'll know what you need for the rest.

Quality doesn't need to be Snap-On, but good tools are always an investment. Buy what you can afford.

Use the right tool for the right job. Look after them and they'll look after you.

Last edited:
“Finally: the most important tool is the service manual for the year and model of your vehicle. There might be a digital version under the "Resources" tab on this site.”

This^^^
Can’t believe I forgot the FSM

Get a paper version though, doesn’t need to be charged and doesn’t care if it gets dirty.
And a massive laminated wiring diagram

The FSM has a list of common tools, special tools and special materials (sealants, cleaners, etc.). If you can't find it in the 40 Resources section, look in the 60 section. Any tool needed for a 60 will be needed for a 40, at least the later years.

This is from the 1974 engine FSM:
1693945140993.png

There's a similar entry in the Chassis manual.

A Metric socket set.
Metric spanners.
Screwdriver set.
Multimeter.
Small set of pliers and cutters for electrical work.
Pipe wrench.
Big adjustable wrench.
Grease gun.
Gas torch.

When you run out of jobs that only need these tools then you'll know what you need for the rest.

Quality doesn't need to be Snap-On, but good tools are always an investment. Buy what you can afford.

Use the right tool for the right job. Look after them and they'll look after you.
I would definitely add an impact driver...it saved me some time on rusted Phillips Head screws .. (Think hammer striking a large spring loaded screwdriver)
-Daric

I'm a "Super Newbie" to the site. So, I apologize for any wrong ways I go about asking questions. I have my first rough FJ40 that I want to tear down and redo over time. I'm extremely excited but to be honest I'm a greenhorn at mechanics. Is there any master tool list someone has put together for tearing down the body and motor of an FJ40?

You do understand that picture of your ride are a requirement?

Welcome to Mud!

Buy a handful of 10mm sockets. FJ40s love 10mm sockets.

Proper jackstands, yup, jackstands :D

Besides tools I think that you should stock up on first aide products. You'll soon discover how the two things seem to go together. :)
Don't forget the tetanus shot!

That is a perfect candidate for a ground up build! You will likely never be closer to a frame up restoration starting place than you are now. Get that tub separated from the frame, you don’t need many tools for that just lots of penetrating oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom