FJ40 manual steering gearbox rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did a re-seal on a manual steering gear box from a 1982 FJ40.
Video of the rebuld here.

It is also for sale for $350 plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Did a re-seal on a manual steering gear box from a 1982 FJ40.
Video of the rebuld here.

It is also for sale for $500 shipped if anyone is interested.

New owner question. My manual steering box has a zirk on top. I was surprised to see gear oil come out of yours. What is the proper lubricant and lubrication process for this. Mine is a '75 if that matters.

The manual steering box should be filled with 90 weight gear oil. I believe the box holds around 20 oz.

My manual steering box has a zirk on top.

This was added by an owner, is a fairly common hack done over the years by people who say 'if you pump the entire gearbox full of axle grease, it won't leak' - which is true, but not a great idea. I can imagine the steering effort at -20F.

My manual steering box has a zirk on top.

This was added by an owner, is a fairly common hack done over the years by people who say 'if you pump the entire gearbox full of axle grease, it won't leak' - which is true, but not a great idea. I can imagine the steering effort at -20F.
Ahh, OK. Well if it hits -20F here in Texas we'll have bigger issues than poor steering effort. I'll take a look later today. Is there a drain or do I have to loosen the bolts and break the seal?

No drain that I know of.

Hillbilly fix: maybe just top it off with 90wt, and make Birfield Soup/Backwoods Goop (if you're an old Mud member, you know what that is...)

No drain that I know of.

Hillbilly fix: maybe just top it off with 90wt, and make Birfield Soup/Backwoods Goop (if you're an old Mud member, you know what that is...)
Cool, not an old member but have read enough knuckle rebuild threads to know what you mean. There are no visible leaks so I have been holding off on this rebuild in favor of other more pressing issues. This weekend is replacing all of the rotted steering linkages.

Is there a drain/fill plug? I have not looked real hard, but mine only has a grease zirk fitting on top
Cool, not an old member but have read enough knuckle rebuild threads to know what you mean. There are no visible leaks so I have been holding off on this rebuild in favor of other more pressing issues. This weekend is replacing all of the rotted steering linkages.
Yea, my worn out seals acted as a great drain.

Price drop to $350 if anyone is interested

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom