Intercooler for TRD Supercharger (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMOTOY
to get my 3" inch pipe to have a 1.5 inside radius (close anyway), I had to cut 2, 90 elbows at the center of the bend and then weld them back together, it turned out really nice and perfectly smooth inside. That length of 3" pipe was the most time consuming part of the build. If you had a good Tig welder, you could buy a 3"x 3" 180 and cut the center out and tig it back together.
later

SUMOTOY
to get my 3" inch pipe to have a 1.5 inside radius (close anyway), I had to cut 2, 90 elbows at the center of the bend and then weld them back together, it turned out really nice and perfectly smooth inside. That length of 3" pipe was the most time consuming part of the build. If you had a good Tig welder, you could buy a 3"x 3" 180 and cut the center out and tig it back together.
later

I'm sure that wasn't easy, btdt once, won't do it again. The big advantage you have is the ability to use a prefabbed IC. That is what adds cost to an IC setup. That said, what I designed up goes directly from the SC outlet straight into the IC endcap, and the IC outlet straight into the inake. Custom end cap IC required. The nice thing is that the pressure is low to start, so highly efficient IC's can be used for this project (read: largess not required).

I also applaud you for having the kahonas to cut the TRD outlet and inlet cast pieces. The inlet piece is pretty easy to fab, but that outlet piece sure isn't.

Without question, what you did works, and has simplicity to it that is enviable.

Do you have the ability to take inlet/outlet temps?

Scott Justusson

SUMOTOY
Sorry, I have no way of taken temps of inlet or outlet temps.. But I can tell you that even after running it hard I can feel the intercooler and it is cool to the touch, the supercharger outlet will almost burn you and the intake manifold inlet is cool also. (not very technical, sorry)
As for cutting the Supercharger outlet, I had a much harder time cutting a huge hole in my hood! (mentally)
I did this intercooler with the idea that it could help some and not hurt very much, having said that, this has been the best mod I have done to my 80, The power is so much better, the engine seems to run smoother and it makes my 80 ALMOST fast. It feels as good as my wife's V8 4Runner, and that is saying something..
Your intercooler setup will be AWESOME when you get it finished! I looked at about a 1000 intercoolers before settling on the one I used, so may wrong choices to make and so little money to fix them..
later Bret

SUMOTOY
Sorry, I have no way of taken temps of inlet or outlet temps.. But I can tell you that even after running it hard I can feel the intercooler and it is cool to the touch, the supercharger outlet will almost burn you and the intake manifold inlet is cool also. (not very technical, sorry)
As for cutting the Supercharger outlet, I had a much harder time cutting a huge hole in my hood! (mentally)
I did this intercooler with the idea that it could help some and not hurt very much, having said that, this has been the best mod I have done to my 80, The power is so much better, the engine seems to run smoother and it makes my 80 ALMOST fast. It feels as good as my wife's V8 4Runner, and that is saying something..
Your intercooler setup will be AWESOME when you get it finished! I looked at about a 1000 intercoolers before settling on the one I used, so may wrong choices to make and so little money to fix them..
later Bret

Might be interesting to get some numbers on the inlet temps. Might have to put out a loan on one of the Andial IC pre/post/differential guages I put in the audi turbos. Let me ck around for an unclaimed extra...

cutting holes in the hood?! got that in the bag already! 1 more won't bother me! :cool:
FRONT VIEW II.jpg

When you cut a hole in the hood you find out why the 80's weigh almost 6K pounds, it is the thickest sheet metal I seen used in a car/truck or light attack vehicle..
later Bret

That's awesome. I think the hood scoop looks great. Would you recommend doing this mod?

This thread has got me thinking... I posted a slightly offtopic thread full of some questions on the subject of turbos/intercoolers.

Back to the top in celebration of the SC's re-release!

Thanks for the nice write-up BLarsen...you've inspired me and I'm going to put one in my truck over the winter!

Cannot wait to get started.

the only scary thing IMHO to blarsen's set-up, is cutting a brand new, limited production $3,000+ part.

the only scary thing IMHO to blarsen's set-up, is cutting a brand new, limited production $3,000+ part.

It's true, I'd be a scared too, but it sounds like he definitely did his homework and was confident enough to do this back before the S/C was re-released.

I too am not looking forward to cutting it up, but as long as you know good metal welding people it's not that big of a deal...that is until I'm standing there getting ready to cut my not-even-installed supercharger to make it accommodate this!

Check out this intercooler though...

SuperchargersOnline.com :: Product: IceVex Universal Intercooler (29 x 12.5 x 3.5)

It's got the offset inlet but is pretty darn big. I think I can make it work though. I'll keep looking and see if I can find anything different.

And the cutting, at least it's not in a super critical area. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Last edited:
haha ive got one of those WRX hood scoops in my stash of subaru parts for my DD

If you install the intercooler on top of the valve cover how are you planning control water flow from rain? If you don't it would appear to drain right on to the spark plug wires and other parts, not a great idea IMO. It also appears that the intercooler will be restricted in flow from having the valve cover so close to the back of it.

Good luck with the hood cutting, watch out for the supports.

If you install the intercooler on top of the valve cover how are you planning control water flow from rain? If you don't it would appear to drain right on to the spark plug wires and other parts, not a great idea IMO. It also appears that the intercooler will be restricted in flow from having the valve cover so close to the back of it.

Good luck with the hood cutting, watch out for the supports.

Not too worried about the water situation. Good plug wires can easily deal with being water-soaked. Think about any motorcycle, engine is always exposed to the elements.

Indeed I could see some reverse flow of air at times, but that would be seldom, and one would probably still see a benefit from simply having the intercooler. Think about it, that intake tube is ALWAYS sitting right above the valve cover being baked like mom's chocolate chip cookies 24/7/365. And you'll notice the S/C housing as well as the intake tube to the upper intake manifold as shaped like a heatsink, with little cooling fins. Engineered to attempt to release heat as best as they can...which seems like not well. So short of making a plate on that intake tube to but a bag of ice on to cool the intake charge I cannot really ever see a disadvantage to having the intercooler.

The hood cutting...yeah that's going to be another story all together. It will take patience on a level that I am seldom am required to give to a project!

Last edited:
My plan...

Prior to install I'm going to take the S/C housing off and take it to my welder and have him cut some of it off and reshape it to allow more clearance for the I/C. Then I will have him fabricate a new intake tube to go where the throttle body used to be.

The intercooler I've linked to above is probably the one that I will use. I'll take it to a radiator shop and have them relocate the output so that it's closer to the edge, and thus should be lined up with the intake tube.

After the hood scoop is on I will make a template out of cardboard of seal to be welded to the I/C so that it has a positive contact with the hood. Then, the I/C will go to the welder to have this installed...add some door gasket weather strip to it and viola! We should be done.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!!

hp

so what would u say the numbers are that ur getting, im guessing u get alot more low end torque

I've already been working on this for several months with my supplier of aftermarket intercooler applications. It's a tough one, because what was done here can work, but a custom setup designed *for* the 80 (without cutting off those SC bits - that's commitment baby!) won't be just the sum of the parts.

Great work btw Blarsen! Hadn't even considered reducing a 3in radius to be even smaller! Not optimal air routing, but that's a huge savings when you can use an off the shelf end cap arrangement. My thinking is to use short core with long end caps ala 911T upgrades and actually making a new flange to the runners.

Scott Justusson
94 FZJ80 Supercharged
Hey Scott, did this kit every come to fruition?

I'M interested too trying. I'm prepping to buy my kit too.

Still works great....
Bret

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom