Another Luke Bumper (Kit) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Finally got this mother and got started right away.

This kit is very well thought out, but by no means plug and play. If you like to fabricate but dont have the equipment to shape the metal, then this kit is for you.

Frame rails: I cut them at an angle as oppossed to straight down. Easier to maneuver the saw/ angle grinder. My advice is to use a cut-off wheel on as much as possible and finish off with the sawzall.

Side pieces: They fit really tight. Sprocket3 gave me the heads up to slide some spacers (wood) beetwen the side pieces and body to get everything lined up better. It worked well, cause otherwise the pieces were aggresivly hugging the sides of the truck.

The shell: Fitting the shell required some grinding on one end to get it to drop down flush between the mounted side pieces. Also, the notches in the back edge of the top of the shell were not cooperating with the tabs on the side pieces, I trimmed the tabs off and never looked back.

A few pics:

Spacer.jpg

Bead.jpg

Not bad for flux wire huh:)
Table.jpg

Fitting.jpg

Will add updates when additional progress is made.

Lookin nice. Subscribing.

That's looking good. I had about the same size gap there on the edges of the wing to shell joint. I wonder if that's standard?

Very nice! If you don't mind, What's the cost of the kit? I have been looking for the next mod, and this may be it.

TK

Also, where can I get the kit?:hmm:

That looks good! I like how low profile it is. Sweet price tag as well. Post pics of the final project when you finish... Cheers!

I wanna see more of this build. I was thinking of getting lukes kit but haven't called him yet. I love this bumper. Do you plan on making any mods?

The side clearance is tighter on the LX due to the cladding, same wings are used for both rigs. I angle the tube out further on the LX builds than the LC. Ours didn't need much grinding to fit, just a ton to cleanup the welds, we ground all of the exposed welds smooth.

There are a couple of build threads over on the CSC forum:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/139729-4x4-labs-diy-rear-bumper.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/142286-4x4labs-rear-bumper-build.html

Last edited:
We welded strap on the wheel end of the wings, trimmed the stock plastic and installed. It cleaned up the look, reduced the mud, debris that gets in there and sprayed on the quarter. Also if you need mud flaps, drill and taping a couple of holes would make a great spot to mount them.
filler_1.jpg
filler_2.jpg

Thanks for the links, I haven't seen them. Good Pics.

Update

Got the main shell welded and blended today. I found a secret weapon called a flap disk. I'm sure some are familiar with them but I didn't know they existed.

If you are attempting to blend two pieces of metal into one, this is the ticket. Knock the heavy weld off with a coarse grinder wheel and then finish it with the "flap". Holy Mother is all I can say:)

Flapdisc.jpg

Blended.jpg

Also had to widen the recovery point holes today as they were too narrow. The receiver is welded into the shell but the crossmember hasn't gone in yet. Gotta get more time!

nice lookin' bumper :cool:

luke's just up the road from me a bit...he puts out some quality stuff.

When the resonator is cut off, the rear exhaust mount is lost, if you don't add one near the end of the pipe the vibration will crack/break the front of the muffler.

The bumper has great angles, doesn't get hung up when in contact with terrain, something I tend to exploit often! It's about time to paint it again.:hillbilly:
scratch.jpg

When the resonator is cut off, the rear exhaust mount is lost, if you don't add one near the end of the pipe the vibration will crack/break the front of the muffler.

The bumper has great angles, doesn't get hung up when in contact with terrain, something I tend to exploit often! It's about time to paint it again.:hillbilly:

what's this for? drainage?
scratch.jpg

$495 for basic kit/ no swingouts. Figure another $100 for shipping as the combined shipping weight was around 150lbs.

Yes, but you must get the tire up on the bumper somehow. So you need atleast one swing-out. Then it's only another $100 for the upgrade to dual swing outs. Then you might as well get a ladder or can holder while you are doing all this and getting it powder coated.

Mine hit a touch over $1500 with shipping if I recall for the whole kit.

Yes, but you must get the tire up on the bumper somehow. So you need atleast one swing-out. ...

Why, what if you don't want that big tire on the bumper?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom