Intercooler for TRD Supercharger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice write-up. Do you have part numbers and web sites to order the stuff from?

A good diagram and some more pics would be great.

Think about if you were a reader is there enough for you to do the mod yourself.

Excellent thread. You have done what a lot of folks have talked about and wanted (and still do) to do themselves (Including me :D)

Romer
Thanks a lot, I will work on some illustrations and part numbers (or links) to the parts needed, the really sad thing is that i didn't take picture as i put it together, I get working on things and find it hard to stop even for food.
As for the intercooler in front of your stock radiator, I learned that putting one in front of the other makes them both function less than they should, it blocks the air to the LC Rad and in turn makes a dead air space between them and stops the air from going through the IC like it could. the front mount IC is very efficient if you can mount it so that it is not in front of you LC Rad and you have a way to Duct the air so that it must go through the IC not around it, the only place I could do this is where the Factory winch would mount, and then place a scoop on top of the bumper to catch the air and then duct it through the IC... It turned out to be a lot of work and I choose the top mount..
later

How is access for maintenance of things like the spark plugs, valve cover gasket, PCV, etc?

-B-

Access?
All that is needed to remove the intercooler is to loosen 2 stainless clamp (crap I forgot those in the price!!) and lift it out. takes 30 seconds.
Good question..
PS. I am leaving work and won't be back on Ih8mud until Monday..
later and thanks
Bret

Great work...If I had thought of this I would have picked up a supercharger before they were discontinued. :flipoff2:

I've done nothing but think about this very same mod since I bought my s/c kit. Seems like an ideal solution. The only thing I was concerned about was hacking up the hood for the scoop (and how it might look). Yours seems to blend into the look of the truck fairly well. I'm really glad you posted this, gives me the motivation to attempt something similar myself. If you get a chance, how about some more pics, especially of the hood/front end from a further distance away. I'd like to get a better idea of how I might like that WRX scoop.

cool build. could be utilized with a turbo too.

the heat sink thing isn't an issue. the air going into motor probably isn't much cooler while wheeling but wouldn't be any hotter than without one either. and at least an intercooler in this location isn't in front of the motor when wheeling like mine.

one may argue that this intercooler is too small for our motor but If this intercooler can flow a 2.5l motor to 10+ psi at 7000 rpms it could arguably flow our 4.5l at 6psi and 5000rpms. do you have boost guage numbers taken at the intake manifold pre and post intercooler? this would give an idea. does the eaton m90 on the cruiser application take the bypass pressure signal from supercharger itself or from the intake manifold? if your setup is taking the pressure signal at the supercharger (pre-intercooler) you may want to take a line from the intake manifold itself (post intercooler)so as to make sure your intake is seeing maximum boost and not leaching off a psi or two due to the resistance of your intercooler.

Last edited:
Nice job. I recently test drove an Acura RDX and it had a similar IC setup and my brain started wheeling away, then you post yours. I am sold on the idea and now you have me looking up ICs. Do you recall how much room there is between the hood and the top of the valve cover? I am going to guess about 4.5".

Karl

4.5 inches would be really close... good luck
Bret

No more pics??

Bret, cmon dude. You have started a thread which alot of people took interest. Can't you post more close up pics of the install? We're very interested.
airlaird

Yes, Very.

I am sooooo sorry! Really.. I have had no time, I am landscaping our yard (1/2 acre) and it is taking all of my time. I will try and take more pictures tonight, since it is snowing and I can't work on the yard.
Try and hold out for 1 more day.....
later
Bret

:cool:

Ok, so here is some more info.
1.to make the intercooler fit in this location, it ends up about 5/8 of an inch away from the fire wall in the back..
2. you need to cut the pipe from your TRD kit that connects to the intake manifold about 1 inch from the intake and remove the fins and grind it until its round (unless you have a mill and can make a new one)
3. the connection to the intake manifold is a straight shot from the IC to the intake with a 3" silicone sleeve.
4. The 3" custom pipe has to be bent so that it touches the front of the intercooler (very tight), to make it all line up in the end.
5. you also need to cut about 1 inch off the supercharger outlet and then cut off the corner that faces the 3"pipe (see diagram) to make it all fit as close as possible and connect with a 3" elbow.

Here are some pictures I stole off the web and used paint to illustrate what I did.. I will add more tommorow..
later
Bret
super1.JPG
super2.JPG

last one.. more Thursday..
super4.JPG

Here are a few of the hood scoop.. 2003 Subaru WRX (not sti)
later
Bret
scoop.jpg

it is so HARD to take pictures with the hood on!! but here are a few up close. My seal didnt like the flash so I photoshoped it all on color.. ( not a good job a that)
Bret
cooler1.jpg
cooler2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. Now if someone would take this and make a kit, it would save my lazy ass some work. JK
Cheers,
Sean

Thanks a bunch. Now if someone would take this and make a kit, it would save my lazy ass some work. JK
Cheers,
Sean

I've already been working on this for several months with my supplier of aftermarket intercooler applications. It's a tough one, because what was done here can work, but a custom setup designed *for* the 80 (without cutting off those SC bits - that's commitment baby!) won't be just the sum of the parts.

Great work btw Blarsen! Hadn't even considered reducing a 3in radius to be even smaller! Not optimal air routing, but that's a huge savings when you can use an off the shelf end cap arrangement. My thinking is to use short core with long end caps ala 911T upgrades and actually making a new flange to the runners.

Scott Justusson
94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom