Builds Ikarus' LX470 Offroad Build and BS (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zBXcbeA.jpg

Hutchinson time

Hands down my favorite 100 series wheels.
What size tires did you go with?

I am curious how much thicker is the trekbox cover than the factory one?

what parts did you buy to reboot your cvs?

Are those wheels as heavy as they look?

Yeah, they’re about as heavy as steel wheels. 40lbs ish

Hands down my favorite 100 series wheels.
What size tires did you go with?

I am curious how much thicker is the trekbox cover than the factory one?

Trekboxx cover is about the same thickness as stock.

I went with 285/75r17. I gave up on reading through all the “will 35s fit?” threads. Ha. Didn’t feel like doing a body lift right now. These are advertised at 34”, measure in a little less than that. Plus they’re 11.2” wide, so more narrow than a 315/70. About an inch taller than my 285/75r16

what parts did you buy to reboot your cvs?

You should be able to find a reboot kit, I believe Cruiser Outfitters sells them. And if you look around here people have different opinions on the clamps. I just went oem.

2zME5ur.jpg

Got to work on the wheels. The process is simple once you get the hang of it.

lZXf0Zz.jpg

The more difficult part for me was wrestling the rubber beadlock piece into the wheel. This is what allows the two pieces of the wheel to lock together when you bolt it up.

FxWw4Xk.jpg

vqKEGCz.jpg

Inserting the backside of the wheel. 2x4s help prop it up and keep the ground from damaging the wheel.

UFjDlSC.jpg

The white ring is the O ring that provides the air tight seal once it's bolted together. You need to stretch it a little to fit, so some vaseline on the O ring helps hold it in place.

fAE14kv.jpg

9FkFZaW.jpg

Assemble with the provided nuts

smlXRRq.jpg

And torque in a star pattern to 100 ft-lb.

jPuLmCL.jpg

Little time consuming, but a fun process. 4 more to go, then I'll inflate them all and make sure they hold air.

Manual is here:

http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/docs/Rock Monster Manual.pdf

Needed to have tire lube:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3932MO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as well as pry bars, valve stem removal/installation tools and an impact gun.

This tire and wheel combo is heavy - about 100 lbs.

This tire and wheel combo is heavy - about 100 lbs.

That is porky! My 37’s might be a little lighter (no beadlocks either) but those wheels look so much better!

That is porky! My 37’s might be a little lighter (no beadlocks either) but those wheels look so much better!

Yeah cooper st maxx are heavy tires. I feel like it doesn’t matter the size, anything above 32” is 60lbs +. What do you run?

Do those tires end up getting balanced? How do they feel at highway speeds? (Assuming you've got them bolted on yet?)

Not yet! Had to go out of town, waiting to finish it up next week.

What do you run?
37/12.5R17 ProComp AT Sport (72lbs) on TRD RW’s without the ring (22lbs). They’re pretty skinny and don’t have as aggressive of tread as yours but they were in my budget to try 37’s

OMF Performance can turn them into real beadlocks but it may be a while before I get around to that

RWFAVPG.jpg

Got 4 mounted up.. and then realized I'm missing one nut for the 5th wheel. I'll have to see if I can find a local Hutchinson dealer with one in stock tomorrow. If not I might just get the 4 aired up and balanced, and figure out the spare when the nut shows up.

Bought a 1/2-20 nut and finished up installation of the tires. Hutchinson seems like a great company, called em up and they're sending me a replacement nut free of charge.

WwfUebF.jpg

Discount Tire refused to balance my wheels so I took em to a hole in the wall shop my friend recommended. Next time I'm gonna try some balancing beads instead of weights.

k9j8eVT.jpg

Got a couple of the wheels installed:

Q9iOcUm.jpg

QQTIhEZ.jpg

GxvTIkk.jpg

The offset is perfect. Brings the tires in almost an inch less than the SCS F5s.

5y8Va2n.jpg

hFynKHZ.jpg

But ran into a stuck lug nut and wasn't able to get the other side on. Never seen one this bad. I've sprayed it with PB blaster and hit it with an impact but it's not budging. I'll try again tomorrow with a heat gun as well. Anyone have any secrets?

95VVVlL.jpg

Sorry to say, as much as I love the SCS F5's - they just took a back seat compared to the Hutchinson's.

Now you have me second guessing my wheel / tire set up. That taller tire with the flush offset (aren't they like ET +30) looks perfect.

Can't wait to hear an honest review of this set up compared to the previous. My bet is you'll be happy you have both!

Out the hundreds of nuts you've been cranking and sourcing to get those things put together I can't believe one factory wheel lug is holding you back.

As always, thanks for such a great build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom