ARB bumper help 98’ lx470 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! I just got a lx470 a few weeks ago. First thing I tried to do is install an Arb bumper. I’ve read I think every thread on here of people successfully installing arbs on lx470s and I’m confused what I am doing so wrong. I am aware the light tabs need to be cut for the hood to close but the hood is getting caught on the bull bar once every bolt is lined up. There is so much body gap. There is metal/body under the headlights between them that is unmentioned in every persons install I’ve read and watched. The bumper is physically unable to get up higher because it gets caught on the metal. Attached are some photos. Please cruiser experts help me!! I bought this bumper off a guy who was parting out his 100 series so I don’t have a manual either which doesn’t help. :./
IMG_7884.jpeg
IMG_7880.jpeg

IMG_7881.jpeg

Did you get the type that sits on a cradle that mounts to the frame or the kind that mounts right to the frame (frame horn trimming required)?
From the parking lights, w/o fog lights, I’d bet early model “cradle”..

Edited as you have done everything I could recommend. I've only seen 03+ ARB's mounted to LX's, never the 98-02 Bar. I hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Can the bumper tilt at all? It looks to me like the gap is bigger at the back of the fender. If the bumper can rotate a bit to close that gap then the top of the bullbars should move away from the hood.
That having been said, I'm sure you've tried that already. And I don't have experience with that exact bumper and model year.

The upper “antenna tabs”, that interfere with the LX grill, seem to still be there?

IMG_0874.jpeg

your truck probably has a 1" body lift on it. if it does, you'll need to re-tool the mounting brackets
No 1 inch body lift. AHC removed and emu 1.5 lift

Edited as you have done everything I could recommend. I've only seen 03+ ARB's mounted to LX's, never the 98-02 Bar. I hope you get it sorted.
I have determined it doesn’t work at all. defeated, and factory bumper is back on. I’m going to probably order the 03+ one but I can not figure out the difference of that one between the 98-03 other than the lights.

I have determined it doesn’t work at all. defeated, and factory bumper is back on. I’m going to probably order the 03+ one but I can not figure out the difference of that one between the 98-03 other than the lights.

The 98-02 has a cradle mount for the winch, so essentially everything sits on the cradle, that is bolted to the frame. The bumper is just a "fascia" if you will.
The 03+ Combo carries the winch on the "fascia" and is a little more compact. I prefer the winch on the bumper, feet forward.

Here is my old Ironman cradle, which is very similar to the 98-02 ARB, you can see the frame mount + winch cradle.

IMG_5990.jpeg

Not knowing the ins and outs I can't help - but this raises questions for my '99

Are there structural / durability differences between the ARB models?

03+ indeed sits higher, also bend the grill brackets back to clear the antenna tabs.

Not knowing the ins and outs I can't help - but this raises questions for my '99

Are there structural / durability differences between the ARB models?
From my understanding no, ARB is supposed to be safe. I think just a mounting and lights difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom