I finally get the shop I have wanted for too long (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always liked the stacked stone look. Given wheelbarrow and what looks like mortar on a board I'm guessing this is all mortared in and pretty solid when done.?
Thanks! Yes, they mortar the back edge.

I don’t even know what day we are on 🤷🏻‍♂️ I was out of town last week so there were at least two days the crew didn’t show up. Yesterday they knew I was coming home so they almost worked a full day and finished the job. I pleased with the end product.

6BF7B842-28EA-4A83-A996-66E3FDAEAAE9.jpeg
29EBE658-BB14-46B0-95FF-618314162A33.jpeg
42A22041-B0E0-4BC8-89F3-7F7C8F0814E7.jpeg

@Michael B looks TERRIFIC!….Congratulations on having the shop you have always wanted…. I feel the same way 1800 miles away. The stone is so sharp looking and adds a layer of style well above a work building. So my wrap-up question is….. did the cap stone get laid flat against the corrugated shape of the steel or get shaped accordingly?

Last edited:
@Michael B looks TERRIFIC!….Congratulations on having the shop you have always wanted…. I feel the same way 1800 miles away. The stone is so sharp looking and adds a layer of style well above a work building. So my wrap-up question is….. did the cap stone get laid flat against the corrugated shape of the steel or get shaped accordingly?
Thank you! I’m very pleased with the end result. He did notch the cap stone. I will get you a picture of that this afternoon.

that must have been a laborious job…but a classy final for the finish. My wife had an oval bronze looking plaque made for above the entry door for me. 40 years ago we took a bunch of letters from all of our first names to tried and spell a name for the farm….she had that name and it reads ‘ established June 2022” when the building got started going up. Looks cool . Similar to those roadside historical markers. I’ll send you a photo of it later

Oh boy that looks great. Thank you for sending this…. They are obviously pros cutting these stone caps… if I do this…. I’m am happy that the 9 foot wide door trims the total length to a bit over 17’ only. I will be a few days away from starting this

Oh boy that looks great. Thank you for sending this…. They are obviously pros cutting these stone caps… if I do this…. I’m am happy that the 9 foot wide door trims the total length to a bit over 17’ only. I will be a few days away from starting this
You’re welcome. I look forward to seeing your progress!

The stone mason recommended that a sealer be applied after about a week. We discussed different brands and I think I have decided which one I will use. So I decided to rinse the stone off since it was dirty when it arrived and there was dust from cutting the top cap on a portion of one wall. Wow! What a difference a fresh water rinse made!! The stone colors are very visible. It looks like a completely different wall. In these pictures the stone is still wet. But even when it dries there is a huge difference.

36311EA0-3244-4C00-9EC7-F05946F87BA0.jpeg
7699EA51-204D-4F12-9599-9C6FBFECE274.jpeg
3DF2420B-495E-4A0A-A92C-68FFD4A453AC.jpeg

Have to agree, the wet appearance sure makes the colors pop? Either way it looks great!

I have to also agree… I have been closely examining your photos (no not stalking) as I just love the way this came out. I have a very bland wall end that is the first visible impression when you drive up. This addition to the side will add a significant change to the view

the stone has color and makes a vivid presentation

I had a few minutes this evening after supper so I assembled the short wall. After I drill 4 more holes I will be ready to stand it up. Of course my handy work has to be properly inspected.

7492DC84-A971-4FB5-B7CA-2E15EAA6A4E5.jpeg

@Michael B any reason the stud are closer than 16” on center? i am doing something to cover the foam spray using these T-111 horizontally and peg board in some areas above
2FBCCB0E-7713-43D4-B486-27089314AB89.jpeg

@Michael B any reason the stud are closer than 16” on center? i am doing something to cover the foam spray using these T-111 horizontally and peg board in some areas aboveView attachment 3122561
I went with 12” OC because of the mezzanine I’m building overhead. There will be no failure due to supporting structure. 🤓

I had a rather productive weekend in the shop. If I had some 2”x12” material on hand I could have stood the second wall up. BTW I bought 1-2”x6”x20’ for this section of the project. Everything else was either leftover from the initial shop build or salvaged materials. There are 24-2”x6” studs in the two walls. Plus the jack and cripple studs. I’m also at the end of the 25 lbs bucket of 3” screws that I bought in January.

6BB4F108-17D6-4412-B404-4AB80549336B.jpeg
F99CA7E4-2053-4A46-B4FA-5FA8C6C8A4DB.jpeg

Today went rather well. Terrific weather! Last night it went down to 42 here and the shop was 65 when I went out there about 8:00 this morning.

I had a productive day. First I applied a sealer to the stone. Then I installed the headers and top plate. It took about 2 hours to stand the wall up and move it into place.
9E149AE1-A4A7-475E-AEB2-108C7DA02FF9.jpeg
388E4B9B-E802-4555-A0AB-27A865342AAC.jpeg

Not a one man job for sure…. Funny part is, of all the people who sad..”if you need help, let me know”. I wound up doing all my stuff myself

Not a one man job for sure…. Funny part is, of all the people who sad..”if you need help, let me know”. I wound up doing all my stuff myself
It’s always a one man show in my shop 🤷🏻‍♂️

Love watching this come together. The stone really did set off the look on the outside, great work. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom