I finally get the shop I have wanted for too long (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@knuckle47 I am mostly, just the check writer on this project. The footing is 10” wide and 6” deep with two rows of number #4 rebar.

Haha, that’s has been my role up until the electrical… I did that myself and it PASSED! First time…no re-do’s. Hard part was going to the trusses and nailing in those romex staples… I was a very active 40, 50 and 60 year old but at 70, it shakes me. The front of the building is two colors but I have a 30’ side section where I would love to do that stone wall and cap and that length is reduced further by the 9’ overhead door so I think I can handle 21 feet . . . especially at ground level

I’m a very active 61 yo. I have done 90% of the interior work. Yesterday the mason was a man short, so I carried stone, mud and sand.

My view on age is, it’s not the age of the body style but the miles on the odometer that tell the tale!

@Michael B inspiring to say the least. Here’s a quick question.

when they place the cap on the stone, can you post a photo of the top of the cap looking down against the building wall. My thought is, do you just leave the gap against the corrugated shape of the metal …OR…will they cut and shape the tops to blend with the corrugations. After sleeping on this last night, I have to try this wall…it just looks really pretty to me especially at my place, when you first drive up to the house, this is the side of the building that you see first. Those Dutch style doors and two tone walls aren’t visible until you turn into it.

@knuckle47 I will post a picture when the time comes. The cap will be the last thing he installs. I’m not sure if he will try to notch the cap to match the metal. I hope he will.

It’s not a difficult process. Keeping it level is the number one task. You may watch a view videos on how it’s done before you start your project.

Day four.

96CD8557-06CA-4DD5-A199-19EDED9ACF9A.jpeg
60D4D7F6-1C29-463F-90AD-29C4DE830FCE.jpeg

@thatcabledude Thanks! It has come along way. It’s not very visible from the front of the house and I usually back in the driveway. But every window on the back of the house (including the master bedroom) has a terrific view of the shop and I never get tired of looking at it!!

Day five. It was threatening rain all day so they worked on the front of the building.

AE4A5F7F-488A-483F-A5A6-E5EFBA32DD62.jpeg
333F1BFD-450E-4EA0-BED7-B2AE4165AC5D.jpeg

@Michael B this is awesome! You must be so pleased. Even though my wife and I have had a great relationship for 47 years…. I would sleep here a few nights a week !!

got another question: what do they call the stone you are using? Looking for some YouTube video to learn how to do it….thank you

Last edited:
Thanks @knuckle47 I’m pleased with the results but performance time is another story. It was originally supposed to completed on Friday. That has been pushed to Tuesday. In fives of work they have only performed 16 hours of labor on the job. At this point though I’m grateful that they show up every day and accomplish something.

There are any number of different stone that can be used in this process. The “look” is called dry stacked stone.

I will assume this is a common theme in construction deadlines ( more like a standard theme ). I ordered my building in February. Placed the order and was sent certified plans for the zoning stuff. Not of that was really an issue as this is within compliance. The longer part was waiting for delivery which turned out to be the end of June. The Amish guys who did the work were amazing and their work ethic was like I had only seen 1 or 2 times before in my 53 years of “working”. 5 days….done!

Planning for electrical connection was a time delay more than I assumed. Almost 1 month so far. I have no control over who processes paperwork at the electric company. Of course everything else going forward is predicated on having the electrical stuff finished. I will say however, my liaison there was a great guy and his crew is coming in 2 days. “Your“stone project gets under way this fall after everything is completed. I can leisurely plug along a few hours a day and get it steadily done. It is a short single wall which I see will add another cosmetic layer to a pretty facade. Thank you again for the details…it helps my understanding very nicely

You’re welcome @knuckle47 if you have anymore questions, don’t hesitate to ask. I look forward to seeing your stone wainscoting soon!

I made good progress on installing the Rapidair plumbing for my air system. It’s about 50% complete.

284E53F2-8C62-472A-8836-6DA3060F9E74.jpeg
388893C3-E4D0-4434-BB1A-18D302695434.jpeg

Ok…. Now you have captured my attention AGAIN!…. Is this rapid air plumbing like pex tubing? Just finished reading about this system…not cheap for accessory elbows and parts. I assume, as I can’t seem to find out yet, the conventional quick disconnects are used for hose and tool connections?

Last edited:
If you’re going with Rapidair you should buy the kit. But Northern Tool has the Klutch brand which is less expensive. Both are aluminum coated piping systems. Definitely not pex. It’s pretty easy to install as well, the tools are included in the kit. They do use quick disconnects but they do not come in the kit. You can buy other brands of disconnects if you want to.

Love the rock! that look is great! Impressive what you have accomplished. I cant stack two blocks!

Thanks for posting the "rapidair" this is exactly what I want to do in mine I didn't realize there were kits. By the time I need it hopefully you have some glowing reviews!!

Love the rock! that look is great! Impressive what you have accomplished. I cant stack two blocks!

Thanks for posting the "rapidair" this is exactly what I want to do in mine I didn't realize there were kits. By the time I need it hopefully you have some glowing reviews!!
Had the exact same reaction… never knew anything like this was even in existence… just ordered a 100’ kit with a few extra fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom