Hub flange nuts stuck how do I get these suckers off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so today I planned on taking the hub flange off an getting to the bearing preload to tighten it up but I've run into a little problem. When attempting to take the nuts and cone washers off, I got two that came off the way they should, but then I had two that for some reason removed the whole stud. I assumed I could just use some locitite or something on those studs any input there would be helpful. But the bigger problem right now is the two other studs that I can't get off what so ever. I can turn them but they just spin on the stud. I assume this means the threads are toast and I'll have to get some more but how in the he'll do I get them off? This is my first time trying to get the hub off since I've owned the truck but it appears like the PO had these nuts on there pretty tight and possibly caused them to do this.

IMG_20160820_112102.jpg
IMG_20160820_112112.jpg
IMG_20160820_112124.jpg

If you are going to replace the studs, can you grab the end of the exposed thread with some vice grips and turn it out? If that doesn't work, I'd be getting out the cut off wheel...

EDIT: thatcabledude has a good idea ^^

This works awesome too:
image.jpeg

Keep steady pressure on the wrench while giving steady thumps with the hammer. After soaking with PB blaster. Whatever you do don't force it.

Put a wrench on the nuts and see if it is just the nut that is spinning or if it is the stud as well. If it is just the nut it should come off, but if it still doesn't get a nut splitter or cut the nuts with a dremmel.

Most likely, someone couldn't be bothered to use the torque wrench? I would replace all of the studs and nuts, correct parts, not hardware store type.

What Tools said... Get all new hardware. Looking at the pic of the two you got off I see one has ruined threads too.

And for safety sake please use jack stands to hold up your rig instead of just the floor jack (if I am seeing it correctly in the pics...Apologies if I am not seeing it correctly). Good luck.

Do you have a welder? If so, weld the nut to the stud and back it out while it's still hot. Otherwise If it is just the nut spinning and the stud is well seated, try undercutting the nut at the flange mating surface with a dremel, just enough to get a flathead screwdriver under it. Use the screw driver to apply outward force while using a socket and ratchet or an cordless impact driver to remove the nut. Or you could always just spilt the nut and stud down the middle and break the top off, then use vice grips to remove what is left.

Weld, or cut.

Prepare for sticker shock if you buy all new cone washers. The studs and nuts are reasonable. Problem is, the cone washers will deform if they are overtightened.. so inspect them all carefully and if they have a lip where they stuck out of the cone hole in the hub flange.. they need replacing.

Also DEFINITELY torque wrench, and no loc-tite on the hardware when you reinstall. I'd advise chase the threads, put a little bit of oil in the holes on the hub to keep things from seizing up (this won't impact torque or clamping force since the stud doesn't move in the hub). If you put loc-tite in there they'll be really difficult to get out if you ever need to again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom