Welding Front Drive Flanges (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welding cast iron to steel is never a good idea, Below is a quote from a welding site listing the problem of welding a cast iron flange to a steel axle shaft,
Quote "The main problem with welding cast iron comes from its high carbon content. During the welding process, this carbon migrates into the weld metal and/or the heat-affected zone adjacent to the weld metal, making it hard & brittle. This is how Cast Iron gets its reputation for post-weld cracking." end quote
Cast iron? I could be wrong, but I don't think the flanges are cast iron. Cast steel maybe.

Give the kid a break. He's 21 years old. I have socks older than that. We all had to learn at some point.
I'm all for people learning life lessons. Me and a buddy were out in Black Rock and came upon a pick up truck with a flat tire and no spare in a rather remote area. The kid was trying to remove the tire with some vice grips. His hand were beaten bloody and all the lug nuts were still on. My buddy was driving a range rover and didn't have a wrench that would fit. We offered him some jugs of water before carrying on and he said he was all set as he had a case of beer in the cooler. We wished him luck and drove off.

shoddy-workmanship-teaser.jpg

I think we've been infiltrated by a Jeep guy.

Subscribed. Don't want to miss the follow-up on this one lol

Functional trail fix, but don't drive on it more than you have to. I understand if you're broke, but if you've got the cash to fix this, fix it before it costs you a lot more. You'll feel like a right idiot if this fails on you when you know you had a chance to do something about it.

Cast iron? I could be wrong, but I don't think the flanges are cast iron. Cast steel maybe.
Cast Steel and machined. Welding Cast Steel isnt a big deal especially on a flange like this. Biggest thing is managing heat as they cool at different rates and thus cause issues (but for this I wouldnt care). I welded a high-steer kit on to some Dana 60 knuckles and used buckets of sand and torch to manage the heat process.

This seems like a silly thing to worry about. If it breaks, it’ll be a stripped drive flange and a stripped burf…. Just like it was when he welded it. Would I do this, no. Is it a big issue…. No

The biggest issue is where you could be with a broken birf in the future.

An urgent repair to keep it on the road could be good for ages.

Beating on it and breaking a birf on a trail would make a trail fix a total pain in the ass.
That's the OPs problem if he decides to beat on it again ( maybe) :meh:

The biggest issue is where you could be with a broken birf in the future.

An urgent repair to keep it on the road could be good for ages.

Beating on it and breaking a birf on a trail would make a trail fix a total pain in the ass.
That's the OPs problem if he decides to beat on it again ( maybe) :meh:
let’s hope he brings a cut off wheel😂

Hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped around the end as a handle :lol:
I just had this vision. Death Valley in the middle of June. Tattered rag, dulled and repeatedly bent hacksaw blade. Only one blade, 'cause... well if you are the kinda guy to make this choice for this repair, are you really the kinda guy who is over prepared with tool, parts and all that silly pointless stuff on the trail? Battered knuckles and bloodied fingers. And a very very p*ssed off GF drinking the last of the water as the sun climbs higher.

Mark...

I just had this vision. Death Valley in the middle of June. Tattered rag, dulled and repeatedly bent hacksaw blade. Only one blade, 'cause... well if you are the kinda guy to make this choice for this repair, are you really the kinda guy who is over prepared with tool, parts and all that silly pointless stuff on the trail? Battered knuckles and bloodied fingers. And a very very p*ssed off GF drinking the last of the water as the sun climbs higher.

Mark...
I doubt there's a GF in that scenario.....

We've done this to our mining rigs many times. Gets you out of a jam till you have the time to rebuild. Pretty handy fix if you're out in the woods, can be welded using booster cables and ideally more than one battery.

We've done this to our mining rigs many times. Gets you out of a jam till you have the time to rebuild. Pretty handy fix if you're out in the woods, can be welded using booster cables and ideally more than one battery.
One of the better known "originals" here on Mud welded the axle flange in a FF '80s series rear years ago when he sheared all the studs off about 80 miles from the road during one of the Alaska Cruiser Treks. In that case he had to re-weld it at least twice as the welds kept cracking. He made it the 1500+ miles home to Canada with the locker engaged and only one tire actually pushing the rig. Wiped the tire out by the time he was there of course.

Now we have replaced studs on the trail, so before you suggest that this would have been better (it definitely would have), we were unable to get the studs out with the tools at hand on that trip.

Mark...

Mark...

The big question . . .

Do you push, or pull with the hacksaw blade!

:hmm: 🤪

Some lessons are learnt FAST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom