Welding Front Drive Flanges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

So a little while back, my drive flanges on the front of my 1993 80 Series had stripped out and caused me to lose power to the front wheels. The splines on the axle shaft had stripped as well and both were showing new levels of polish so they both need to be replaced.

I don't know if anyone has ever done this or tried to do this before but I actually welded my drive flanges on to the axle shaft in a last minute effort to go wheeling with some buddies who were in town. We did 3 passes along them and got it pretty hot in order to have good penetration and so far its worked a treat. I am pretty heavy on the throttle when it comes to mudding and wheeling so I must admit that it seems to be doing really well. I am on 37’s on stock gearing as well just for more info about my build but so far I can proudly say that it works!

As a disclaimer for those who are concerned, this is only temporary. This is just to get me through the snow season so that way I can save up to hopefully get stronger axles and birfs by the summertime.
Pics below

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'd pay money for a detailed video tour of the truck that hub resides on.

So...what are your plans for maintain the front axle?
Just cut the knuckle off and weld on a new one?

Well thats where a lot of my concern came in.

If I ever have any issues again, then yes I will have to cut off the flanges in order to undo the knuckle to fix things. I just tore apart both knuckles less than a month ago due to a caliper bolt snapping off and leaving me no other choice but to swap out the knuckle. All the races and bearings looked exceptionally well and I don’t have any leakage issues. When the time comes for me to take off anything regarding the knuckle then it will also be time to rebuild them anyways so it just works out.

Works in a pinch I guess
Yeah so far not too bad. If you go check out my instagram @Mallow_LC youll see the post with the thumbnail of it on a trailer (electrical issues ill post about another time) followed by just me absolutely ripping it through 2 muddy rutts with no issues

Yeah so far not too bad. If you go check out my instagram @Mallow_LC youll see the post with the thumbnail of it on a trailer (electrical issues ill post about another time) followed by just me absolutely ripping it through 2 muddy rutts with no issues
I’ll follow

Just cut the knuckle off and weld on a new one?
I'm hoping he is just trolling.

Mark...

I'm hoping he is just trolling.

Mark...
All Ill have to do is take a cutoff wheel and cut right after the welds in order to get the drive flange off and whatever parts of the axle shaft it takes with it. From there, getting everything else off is just like before… It will require me to get new birfs and a new set of a drive flanges but like I said, until that day comes, this should hold up just fine!

Wow.

Mark...

Wow.

Mark...
If it works it works. For the purists and “OEM is king” guys I can understand how it does seem quite insane and unusual but I’m only 21 years old trying to push the limits of this rig. Everything thats been done to it has been done by me other than a TPS calibration by Toyota. If theres a way to fix it that costs me less and does just as good then sobeit

Yes and no. I can agree with you. The axle shaft splines were polished as well as the drive flanges so they both need to be replaced anyways. This was just a last minute effort to get my 4wd back for some snow wheeling
Well, you hadn't mentioned the birf splines were also gone. If all the same parts needed to be replaced regardless, and this holds you over for now, then hey I guess it works

Well, you hadn't mentioned the birf splines were also gone. If all the same parts needed to be replaced regardless, and this holds you over for now, then hey I guess it works
Yeah I forgot to mention that I apologize, and I haven't heard of anyone else who has tried this out before so I thought I would make a post about it so people know that theres a cheaper alternative for the time being! Ill go take pictures of the rig tomorrow and do my intro post so people know who I am

I guess I don't see what the problem is. You needed flanges and shafts anyway. I might not have done this fix on my way to go wheeling, but I definitely might have tried it in the field if it got me home. Then again, I'm not 21 anymore... back then I might have done it to go. I wouldn't necessarily plan on making it a long term repair - I'm not sure about the metallurgy of those parts, but I suspect all that heat has not improved them.

If it works it works. For the purists and “OEM is king” guys I can understand how it does seem quite insane and unusual but I’m only 21 years old trying to push the limits of this rig. Everything thats been done to it has been done by me other than a TPS calibration by Toyota. If theres a way to fix it that costs me less and does just as good then sobeit
Neither Purist and "OEM is king" are anything I will ever be accused of. But just because something is cheap does not mean it is a good idea. Even IF those welds will hold over time... do you not ever plan to do any maintenance? Do you think that your style (apparently from your comments and IG posts) of "bash it harder" wheeling will not lead to anything in that front axle needing attention? Never gonna break a birfield on the trail? Never gonna need to check/adjust wheel bearings, or replace water contaminated grease?Did you install new rotors before you broke out the hot glue gun?

I get that you are 21 years old and want to beat the snot out of your rig... I mean "push it to its limits". Been there done that myself. But this was really not a choice you will consider something to brag about in the future. To save less than $100 you have cost yourself a lot more money and potentially a LOT of unneeded effort just to deal with routine things by taking this ill considered approach.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom