Welding Front Drive Flanges (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Neither Purist and "OEM is king" are anything I will ever be accused of. But just because something is cheap does not mean it is a good idea. Even IF those welds will hold over time... do you not ever plan to do any maintenance? Do you think that your style (apparently from your comments and IG posts) of "bash it harder" wheeling will not lead to anything in that front axle needing attention? Never gonna break a birfield on the trail? Never gonna need to check/adjust wheel bearings, or replace water contaminated grease?Did you install new rotors before you broke out the hot glue gun?

I get that you are 21 years old and want to beat the snot out of your rig... I mean "push it to its limits". Been there done that myself. But this was really not a choice you will consider something to brag about in the future. To save less than $100 you have cost yourself a lot more money and potentially a LOT of unneeded effort just to deal with routine things by taking this ill considered approach.

Mark...
I guess I shouldve also mentioned that this is temporary. I will be rebuilding the knuckles as well as upgrading to RCVs this summer. I don’t wheel it as much as I used to just due to living back down in the city and I am busy with work as well. I do appreciate your concern but rest assured if most goes according to plan, the front end should be redone by June

Had he mentioned the birf splines were also toast, there may have been a slightly different response, knowing everything needed to be replaced regardless. However I'd just point to @Mark W 's post for trail/etc concerns. If it doesn't break until he replaces everything, fair enough, but it relies on that weld.
Absolutely relies on the weld but so far so good its gone about 4 hours of wheeling it harder than I have ever done before. Im keeping my fingers crossed and I hope you can do the same haha!

Absolutely relies on the weld but so far so good its gone about 4 hours of wheeling it harder than I have ever done before. Im keeping my fingers crossed and I hope you can do the same haha!
Hah, agreed.

Maybe in the future, start off with all the info 😜

Personally, I'm curious what @OGBeno would say

Had he mentioned the birf splines were also toast and that he is redoing everything in June, there may have been a different response. Out the gate, it was simply "my flanges stripped so I welded them to my birfs"
I guess I took that as an assumed fact before he mentioned it... I figured if the flanges were shot enough to need the fix, then the axles were almost definitely shot as well. The moment when the money could have been saved was some time before the front axle stopped transferring power! Then again, I look at broken s*** for a living, I'm used to thinking about what else would have broken.

I guess I took that as an assumed fact before he mentioned it... I figured if the flanges were shot enough to need the fix, then the axles were almost definitely shot as well. The moment when the money could have been saved was some time before the front axle stopped transferring power! Then again, I look at broken s*** for a living, I'm used to thinking about what else would have broken.
Yeah I daily drove it for a few months with no wheeling and didn’t find out that it was shot til I was going up muddy slope on a trail

Nice, push the the truck until the birf grenades on the trail. That usually means the tire won’t rotate and the wheel won’t turn.

ruin the days fun for everyone.

We welded a rear flange to the hub one time to get off the Dusy trail, so this "fix" seems ok as a very temporary expedient to continue to move forward. As a means to go wheeling, it's not smart for all the reasons mentioned. A broken birfield off the road, would immobilize this truck with no possibility of repair. So until you have new parts and fix the truck, I'd say very gentle street driving only. In any given wheeling group, there's always one guy that shows up with a truck already broken and a liability for everyone. Don't be that guy.

I am only a mediocre welder, but wouldn't this work with slightly less hot glue making removal easier? I can totally see this as a limp off the trail fix, but personally wouldn't want it for anything beyond that (at any age).

Welding cast iron to steel is never a good idea, Below is a quote from a welding site listing the problem of welding a cast iron flange to a steel axle shaft,
Quote "The main problem with welding cast iron comes from its high carbon content. During the welding process, this carbon migrates into the weld metal and/or the heat-affected zone adjacent to the weld metal, making it hard & brittle. This is how Cast Iron gets its reputation for post-weld cracking." end quote

Nice, push the the truck until the birf grenades on the trail. That usually means the tire won’t rotate and the wheel won’t turn.

ruin the days fun for everyone.
It was a last dich effort to be available to do a trail one night. This isnt a fix to continue hard wheeling every weekend or anything of that sort. I don’t crawl, its mostly just mud trails or snow wheeling with some occasional crawling. I understand the risk Im taking but I also know what I am doing. I built this truck with my own 2 hands and feel confident in what I do.

-J

It was a last dich effort to be available to do a trail one night. This isnt a fix to continue hard wheeling every weekend or anything of that sort. I don’t crawl, its mostly just mud trails or snow wheeling with some occasional crawling. I understand the risk Im taking but I also know what I am doing. I built this truck with my own 2 hands and feel confident in what I do.

-J
When I first saw it, I was like WTF?!?!?!

However, after understanding that both the birf and the flange were stripped, it's a fix. Yes, you'll need a cutoff wheel to cut off the end of the axle to get it all apart.

I don't recommend driving much on pavement in that condition, although make sure your VC is not locked. What it doesn't allow is floating movement for the birfield, so it's forcing the slipping action to take place inside your differential. You may tend to bind a bit more in the actual birf, so higher risk of shattering a birf if you're steering a lot when doing it.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a good "field fix" to get you by until other parts are available.

You're obviously pushing it pretty hard anyway if you stripped the drive flanges and birf to that point.

When I first saw it, I was like WTF?!?!?!

However, after understanding that both the birf and the flange were stripped, it's a fix. Yes, you'll need a cutoff wheel to cut off the end of the axle to get it all apart.

I don't recommend driving much on pavement in that condition, although make sure your VC is not locked. What it doesn't allow is floating movement for the birfield, so it's forcing the slipping action to take place inside your differential. You may tend to bind a bit more in the actual birf, so higher risk of shattering a birf if you're steering a lot when doing it.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a good "field fix" to get you by until other parts are available.

You're obviously pushing it pretty hard anyway if you stripped the drive flanges and birf to that point.
Yeah absolutely! I’m apart of the Norcal Bay Area Land Cruiser group and we have a pretty solid groupchat going and I consulted with them prior to making a decision on it.

I made it an effort to test what this truck is capable of. I don’t know too many people who drive their 80 as hard as I do or that don’t necessarily worry about breaking things as much as I have. I love just going as hard as I can when permitted and it has been so so so surprising how capable this platform really is! 5th owner at 343k miles in a 1993 by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom