Welding Front Drive Flanges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The biggest issue is where you could be with a broken birf in the future.

An urgent repair to keep it on the road could be good for ages.

Beating on it and breaking a birf on a trail would make a trail fix a total pain in the ass.
That's the OPs problem if he decides to beat on it again ( maybe) :meh:
I just took it out snow wheeling this weekend and it did just fine

IMG_0943.jpeg

I just had this vision. Death Valley in the middle of June. Tattered rag, dulled and repeatedly bent hacksaw blade. Only one blade, 'cause... well if you are the kinda guy to make this choice for this repair, are you really the kinda guy who is over prepared with tool, parts and all that silly pointless stuff on the trail? Battered knuckles and bloodied fingers. And a very very p*ssed off GF drinking the last of the water as the sun climbs higher.

Mark...
I am prepared. Have all my Milwaukee power tools in the back in a crate ready to go. As well as impacts, cutoffs, electrical tools, and much more.

The Drive flanges are not cast -iron, the welds look sufficient. and the kid is out wheeling more power to him !!!

Thank you sir! If you want to check out my instagram its Mallow_LC I’m much more active on there :)
Yeah, don't let it get you down. Some of these guys won't leave the driveway if the directions aren't in the factory service manual. It's fine as a temporary repair, but I would stress temporary: it'll be a lot easier to fix that at home.

Yeah, don't let it get you down. Some of these guys won't leave the driveway if the directions aren't in the factory service manual. It's fine as a temporary repair, but I would stress temporary: it'll be a lot easier to fix that at home.
Absolutely. Thankfully I dont do major major crawling or anything thats really going to put stress on the knuckle or anything. I just wanted to fix it in time for the snow.

Ah yeah the "Mr. T didn't design it like that" types that still insist on being 2 tons over GVWR to go to the grocery store.

Welding cast iron to steel is never a good idea, Below is a quote from a welding site listing the problem of welding a cast iron flange to a steel axle shaft,
Quote "The main problem with welding cast iron comes from its high carbon content. During the welding process, this carbon migrates into the weld metal and/or the heat-affected zone adjacent to the weld metal, making it hard & brittle. This is how Cast Iron gets its reputation for post-weld cracking." end quote
Great channel and very interesting video of cast iron cracking after welding with proper preparation and technique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom