HJ75 Complete body restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to get one, and it would have been nice on this project. Maybe someday. Currently, I need a new welder. Mine is about to die I think.

You've clearly flogged it on this project! haha

IMG_0241.jpeg
image.jpg

I forgot about this gas door housing and cut the old one off to reuse it. All sand blasted and ready to go. Probably all the diesel slightly dripping in here during fill ups is why this part isn’t completely trashed also. Some oily preservation!

IMG_0253.jpeg
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg

Man if I knew you needed a new gas door sheet metal, I had a spare new OEM here at the shop. I would’ve sent it to you.
I was just about to ask you but this original one looked good, so I used it. Thanks!

Great thread, thank you, but pretty scary. I hope I never have to do body work on my rusty troopy. Where would you stop?

Reactions: KTP
Great thread, thank you, but pretty scary. I hope I never have to do body work on my rusty troopy. Where would you stop?
Thanks! To answer your question: You don’t stop.

All the panels are on now. I hung the doors just to make sure something wasn’t wacky. All looks good. I need to test fit the rear doors soon but the rotisserie is in my way right now.

IMG_0265.jpeg
IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_0267.jpeg
IMG_0266.jpeg

IMG_0266.jpeg

Super amazing restoration like I said to @ofer bruhis this is not for the faint heart 🤓

Before I forget on the top of the quarter panels there some rivnut for the Alucab to sit but since everything is open now you can definitely weld some solide ancrage to the roof braket to bolt to instead of rivnut ? I hate rivnut lol 😂

Looks great Kelly. Can’t wait to put it on the frame that is anxiously waiting for it.
And to think: one of these trucks comes off the line every 90 seconds, 16 hours a day, 5 days a week.
so what you are saying that during these 2 years Toyota build 320000 cars…. Kelly!!! 😂
Man if I knew you needed a new gas door sheet metal, I had a spare new OEM here at the shop. I would’ve sent it to you.
Thanks Onur!!!

Seriously Kelly!
I couldn't be more impressed with your work.
So when it comes time to do mine it will be like nothing....LOL

Still here tonight at 8:30. Been chipping the double coating off the floor with an air hammer. Everything else I tried doesn’t work. Took a few hours sitting with headphones on. I’m going to try and wheel some of this final coating off before I leave.

image.jpg

That’s all I can get done today. I’m just going to sand blast the whole floor tomorrow instead. These wheels aren’t working very well. Oh, and there is more rust too. Haha! Woohoo

image.jpg

Still here tonight at 8:30. Been chipping the double coating off the floor with an air hammer. Everything else I tried doesn’t work. Took a few hours sitting with headphones on. I’m going to try and wheel some of this final coating off before I leave.
Would dry ice be appropriate for assisting in removal?
In the rally car world when we are building a new shell, we buy some dry ice and apply it directly to the sound deadener...it weakens the coating, then you can just bang it with a hammer and clean up all the pieces with a shop vac.

Reactions: KTP
Would dry ice be appropriate for assisting in removal?
In the rally car world when we are building a new shell, we buy some dry ice and apply it directly to the sound deadener...it weakens the coating, then you can just bang it with a hammer and clean up all the pieces with a shop vac.
That’s good advice and thank you. This coating was a combo of some gummy orange stuff and then tan (color matched) liner rolled on top of the orange stuff. The dry ice technique might have worked, but it was the entire floor. Any wheel I used, just heated up the orange coating and turned it into a goo that just spread around. The liner was hard on top though, so when I chip at it, both coatings pop off. Now that it’s all off, I’m removing the rust pits and factory coating that’s on the metal. It was just too time consuming so I will sand blast in the morning. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom