HFS vs. OME lift kit? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey all, I've got a stock '73 Fj40 on 33s. I want a proper 2.5" lift.

I've heard great things about OME but I've also found this "Hell For Stout" kit, which claims to be the softest riding lift kit for 40s. I don't know much about lift kits... Does anyone have experience with these and could give some advice? Would you recommend one over another?

Thanks! :)

The HFS springs are good. The shocks provided are not. Had to replace all 4 of my shocks after 2,000 miles because they went completely flat.

I swapped out my OME front springs for Skyjackers a few months ago. Skyjackers are a tad longer resulting in a better shackle angle, and have a superior ride to OME IMO. I plan to do the same in the rear.

Hey all, I've got a stock '73 Fj40 on 33s. I want a proper 2.5" lift.

I've heard great things about OME but I've also found this "Hell For Stout" kit, which claims to be the softest riding lift kit for 40s. I don't know much about lift kits... Does anyone have experience with these and could give some advice? Would you recommend one over another?

Thanks! :)
I'm getting rid of 4" rough country springs that have horrible geometry (short, over arched leaves) and going with 2" sky jacker because they seem to be the longest, and they are made in the USA. Its all force components, letting the shackle swing as the spring flattens out instead of putting the shackle compression and transmitting forces through the frame.

I'm using Bilstein shocks up front and some soft OE replacement ones in the back. I contacted KYB and they said the KYB 343403 Excel-G Gas Shock are the same as stock replacements but longer (I think they are T100 shocks.) For what its worth my 11/69 has the lower rear shock mount above the spring, not below so that is a length difference as well.

I considered using rubber bushings from cruiser outfitters to dampen vibrations, which should fit in the skyjackers, but think I will just stick with the poly. This is getting installed next month after I get back in town.

I have cheap /stiff Black Diamond? 4” leaf springs I bought used. I moved the rear shackle hangers forward 1” for a better rear shackle angle. I bought Bilstein front and rear. I run BFG KM3 load range C muds 33x10.5 at ~27 psi and have a VERY decent ride on the rough country roads in my area. I run ~12 psi off-road and although the springs are not super flexible, the ride is still great.

I attribute the vast majority of the ride quality to the Bilstein 5125 shocks, second is the 33x10.5x15 Load range C tires at 25-27 psi. Last is springs, because these 4” lift springs are NOT soft.

I'm not sure how people figure the OME springs are too short; mine have a perfect 90º shackle angle, so do the kits I've helped install on friends' vehicles . The OME medium springs ride very well, especially if you remember to lube the spring pads once in a while (and replace them when they wear out). I've had OME suspension on my 40 for over 15 years with zero issues.

My 40 has the 2.5 inch HFS Installed by the PO 10 years ago. I am very happy with it with the exception of the aluminum shims added up front. If you go with the HFS get metal shims from @orangefj45 I have purchased these metal shims and will be swapping them as soon as it cools off a little.
July and August are too damn hot for any serious garage time.
I also plan on replacing the shocks but only because of age.

I'm not sure how people figure the OME springs are too short; mine have a perfect 90º shackle angle, so do the kits I've helped install on friends' vehicles . The OME medium springs ride very well, especially if you remember to lube the spring pads once in a while (and replace them when they wear out). I've had OME suspension on my 40 for over 15 years with zero issues.
so the the shackle is straight up and down?

so the the shackle is straight up and down?
No bueno, here’s my front after the Skyjackers. My axle came forward about 3/4” and the shackles now rake forward, the result is a more supple ride and better flex.

361A54DF-B450-49EF-BC94-3DEF065E8096.jpeg

No bueno, here’s my front after the Skyjackers. My axle came forward about 3/4” and the shackles now rake forward, the result is a more supple ride and better flex.
as the shackles are supposed to be. im still waiting to/see what this perfect 90 degree angle is, because if it is the shackle being nearly straight up and down, that's a pretty clear indication that the springs are cut too short, or are over arched for their cut length.
like everything usually does, once manufacturing of the ome springs was sent over seas, their quality took several steps down the ladder.

I'm really happy with my HFS 2.5" lift installed last year. I can't compare them to the OME exactly, but I can confirm they are very soft and ride was night and day difference after replacing very old lift which had sagged a ton.
Springs are heavy duty but ride is good. That's been my experience. Install was pretty straight forward for even a novice like myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom