Help! Sudden awful whine/grinding from H55f, slipping out of 3rd w/ no clear cause. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1987 JDM HJ-61 with the 12H-T, 263,000 km on the odometer with zero previous transmission issues, and all of the sudden, I'm having a terrible whining/grinding noise coming from my transmission, an H55f-K052, which the search feature on MUD tells me means I have a 37 ring : 10 pinion, w/ open diff. Of course this happens a week before a giant rock climbing/road trip from Denver to Vegas—although I suppose this beats getting stuck in bumf—k nowhere Utah or Nevada with a shot transmission and no cell signal.

I did an extensive search of H55 issues on here, and it seems wildly surprising that an H55 with this few kms would be having this kind of issue. Any pointers on what to try would be hugely helpful—or if worse comes to worse, a great shop to get this fixed in the Denver area

Symptoms:
- nasty whine/grind in 1st through 3rd, although it's inconsistent in 1st and 2nd.
- 3rd has popped out of gear a few times with quite a loud bang. This has happened under both high and low loads and throughout the RPM range.
- 5th makes a nasty sound intermittently
- 4th is perfect, zero sound, zero whine.
- sounds go away as soon as I put the clutch in

What I've tried/checked so far
- checked transmission fluid level (full—immediately some poured out as soon as I pulled the fill plug).
- adding or removing pressure from the shift lever does not change the sound or symptoms at all.
- some fine sparkles in the gear oil that spilled out, but no chunks. I don't have any extra gear oil so I'm not going to do a full drain until it comes in tomorrow, although I have the bypass/equalization hose so I doubt it would be too low without noticing on the transmission as well) (edit: I do not have the equalization hose). I could be wrong about how much sparkle is in (i.e., it might be BAD), but I've never had any amount of sparkles in any kind of oil I've changed so I don't have a frame of reference.
- checked xfer case level (low, but not sure how much. I have some MT-90 coming in tomorrow to check.)
- whine is same in 4Lo as it is in 2Hi
- clutch fluid is full and clean, and no sign of leaks from either the master or slave cylinders. Clutch action seems totally normal.

Other Relevant Info:
- I've had no issues with the transmission or transfer case previously, it's always shfited perfectly with no signs of grinding or hard shifts.
- Just did a new carpet install which involved removing the shift boot for fitment, which I know can occasionally put some pressure on...some kind of spring that I forget what it's called but came up in my searching. But since adding/removing pressure to the shift lever doesn't do anything, I'm doubtful that this is the cause.
- Just did my valve clearances, went great and had zero issues, although I can't imagine how it could be connected. There were only 3 out of spec even after 4 years since the last time they were done.
- Truck sat for over a year (15 mos, IIRC) getting (a f'n saga of) rust repair and a full respray. But I've been through a few tanks of diesel since then with no issues, and as I said, the fluids were all full and no signs of leakage from either the transmission or transfer case.
- I've had this truck for 5 years now, and the mechanicals have been flawless, no signs of poor treatment by previous owners.
- I do most of my own wrenching, but don't have the time or space in my garage right now to undertake a rebuild myself
- AFAIK has never had anything larger than 33s mounted, it's on my 31 winter set right now

Here's a link to a video I just shot driving around my neighborhood. The sound is fairly representative, although it sounds MUCH louder in the video than in real life—I think because my phone was touching the steering wheel.

Someone please tell me I'm a huge idiot and I'm missing something simple and don't have to rebuild or replace my transmission, I just spent a metric 💩-ton of $$$ over the last year doing a full course of rust repair and a full respray. And then new carpet, full dynamat, new rubbers and seals, all new glass, some electrical repairs, new snorkel, new decals, new emblems, new grille and headlight buckets,...the list goes on.

Even if you can't help, enjoy some miscellaneous pics of my truck
IMG_1053 2.png
69836458249__A8C417DC-C37A-4E84-BE3D-052C9126775A.png
IMG_1171 2.png

(edit for odometer reading correction)
(edit 2: misidentified breather hose)

Last edited:
Guessing you’ll find an issue on the countershaft when it’s torn down. Everything runs through the countershaft other then 4th (input shaft).

Your most economical time and cost-wise solution will most likely be a new transmission.

Guessing you’ll find an issue on the countershaft when it’s torn down. Everything runs through the countershaft other then 4th (input shaft).

Your most economical time and cost-wise solution will most likely be a new transmission.
Thanks for the insight @cruisermatt, although I was hoping to get roasted for missing something really obvious and simple (and cheap) 😂. I'm guessing a flush of the transfer case is a must do too since they're sharing fluid? How much would I be risking driving a couple miles to a shop? Any clear causes of an issue like this, or did I just get unlucky?

Thanks for the insight @cruisermatt, although I was hoping to get roasted for missing something really obvious and simple (and cheap) 😂. I'm guessing a flush of the transfer case is a must do too since they're sharing fluid? How much would I be risking driving a couple miles to a shop? Any clear causes of an issue like this, or did I just get unlucky?

Normally the transmission and t-case do not share fluids. There is a seal between the t-case and transmission to prevent a mixing of the gear oils. If this seal fails then gear oils can move between the two units.

Normally the transmission and t-case do not share fluids. There is a seal between the t-case and transmission to prevent a mixing of the gear oils. If this seal fails then gear oils can move between the two units.
I could be wrong about this—I have little to no experience with transmissions/xfer cases, but I believe it has the equalizer hose installed. Would that mean that the oils could mix, or am I misunderstanding (or misidentifying) the purpose of this hose?
IMG_1182.png

I could be wrong about this—I have little to no experience with transmissions/xfer cases, but I believe it has the equalizer hose installed. Would that mean that the oils could mix, or am I misunderstanding (or misidentifying) the purpose of this hose?View attachment 3277785

That's the speedometer cable. You don't have an equalizer hose, if you did it would be plugged into the fill plug on t-case and run up to the fill plug in the transmission.

Phew. Thanks, @Godwin. Really appreciate the insight.

Forget about oils. The issue you are describing is way beyond a simple 1/2 quart fluid migration between the two boxes. Pull the transmission

Oh yeah, it's for sure happening @cruisermatt, I'm just going to source a new unit and have a local shop do the remove/replace. I'm just trying to do my own research as well to make sure this job gets done properly and that I'm not missing anything obvious, as well as making sure I don't get taken advantage of by the shop. I wish I could take the job on myself but I just have no time right now between working a FT job and trying to get another business off the ground. I think I'm going to ask to keep the old unit and do a rebuild myself eventually, just to learn my way around transmission stuff...I'm just too time constrained at the moment. I have no background at all in mechanics, but I love learning/DIY and thank god for the MUD community making this as easy as possible on an old JDM truck. Unfortunately, my willingness/stupidity to tackle everything DIY means I don't have any relationships with local shops, so it's a bit of a shot in the dark for me.

why not check in with the local club in your area.....go to clubhouse at the top of your screen and see which club is near you. See if there is anyone local that may know more and might offer more details or let you know local place to get it checked out..?

no dumb questions.....everyone is not a mechanic or have insight into that stuff....... I even make mistakes sometimes... :)

@Elbert i know I need to get in touch with rising sun, but my time is insanely limited and with running two businesses at the moment I just don't have time to make any meetings, and unfortunately not many of my existing friend group are into cars, and none of them are fellow cruiserheads

Might be way out of left field with this but have you inspected the clutch? Visibly looked at it. If the clutch material has delaminated from the disk it could cause
serious shifting issues. Most manual transmissions usually don't just take a dump all of a sudden. that's why I'm leaning toward clutch.

Might be way out of left field with this but have you inspected the clutch? Visibly looked at it. If the clutch material has delaminated from the disk it could cause
serious shifting issues. Most manual transmissions usually don't just take a dump all of a sudden. that's why I'm leaning toward clutch.
I haven't, but the fact that it has no problems in 4th would rule this out for me. It's not the actual changes that are the problem, it's once it's actually in gear that the grinding happens

I figured that'd be the case. Paging @CruiserTrash. You know of anyone offhand?
I'm talking to RSG Offroad, they're near my place and seem to have a good reputation, at least according to a buddy who's in the 4runner community. They've definitely been straight and honest with me so far - and I'll likely purchase a preassembled h55f/xfer case unit (with 10% extra OD which will be a killer feature as anyone who's experienced how short 1st is in an h55) from @cruisermatt So it really should be a fairly straightforward job.

One fairly quick thing I'd check before pulling it is to remove the 6-bolt cover on the back of the transfercase (near top of transfer in your pic in post 6) and make sure the stake nut behind it hasn't backed off.

I've seen once where the mainshaft on a H55F walked forward, binding with the input shaft. That made the transmission act like it was constantly partially engaging 4th (ie one-to-one). In that case the threaded tail of the mainshaft shaft had been cut off to suit a doubler and there was nothing but a friction fit holding the shaft from walking forward under load.

Failing that, my money is on an issue with the countershaft as @cruisermatt suggests.

One fairly quick thing I'd check before pulling it is to remove the 6-bolt cover on the back of the transfercase (near top of transfer in your pic in post 6) and make sure the stake nut behind it hasn't backed off.

I've seen once where the mainshaft on a H55F walked forward, binding with the input shaft. That made the transmission act like it was constantly partially engaging 4th (ie one-to-one). In that case the threaded tail of the mainshaft shaft had been cut off to suit a doubler and there was nothing but a friction fit holding the shaft from walking forward under load.
Ah, amazing. I'd seen something about that cover around but it got lost in my crazy, mildly panic-driven search for info - will check shortly and report back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom