Help me plan for a 2FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope to soon post figures of 2F-E with aftermarket ECU .
im wait for it

&
what you think? which is better?
2fe with mega squirt ecu OR 2h engine with mega squirt and costum turbo kit

I cant give you power numbers but my 2f tbi desmoged gets 16.5 on the highway running 65-70 with 31s. It feels like it pulls alot better than before but my carb needed rebuilt and it was fully smoged.
tanx buddy

did you compaired your rig with a 3fe?

IMO if you want more power stick to petrol engines . The 2H and 1HZ engines were not designed for turbo and you are looking for trouble to do that modification .

Just did 1142km using 163.7 litres of gas. Works out to 14.3 l/100km or 16.7 mpg (US). Weather was cool and I had a tailwind much of the way. I'm really happy with that. With the 3FE I used to consider 15 l/100km (15.9 mpg) doable in good conditions if I aimed for mileage.

I'd say it is a wash now on which engine gets better mileage, and the 2FE is way more enjoyable to drive.

Hate to hijack here, but has anyone confirmed wiring a 2fe using FJ80 ecu and harnesses? ECU Part 89661-60090.

Searched like hell, but can't find this specifically.

:beer: Ramon

When i wired mine i gutted the complete wiring harness from under the dash of the fj62 and stripped out all the nonessentials. Never tried to wire one from scratch. That might be a nightmare.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Yeah, I'm looking to do the same w/ FJ80 parts. Going into my '78 FJ40.
:beer: R

There are some differences, but as long as you use the 80/3FE parts you should be fine. I know the coil/ignitor is different, as are a few other connectors.

I seem to remember one connection on the engine harness being different in the 89 vs 88 but highly recommend gutting the whole dash up to and including ignition switch and fuse box. Then carefully with a oem wiring diagram stripping out all the non- engine related stuff. Once it runs that way then graft in the old harness. One thing to note the 3 f ignition switch has more connectors on start and run.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Today I had the 2FE up to at least 5000 rpm for a few good stretches snow wheeling. Could have been higher since the tach pegs there. So it's clear that my 89 ecu doesn't have the Rev limiter that others have reported (from 88 ECUs I believe). It was actually quite smooth up to there, if I hadn't taken an occasional glance at the tach, I wouldn't have thought it was reving that high. The exhaust sure sounds friggin mean working and spinning like that. :)

I took the FJ62 that this 2FE is in off the road back in 2015 or 2016 due to rust, body damage (trail-abuse) and the body harness starting to have corrosion issues. For another year or two I still used it around the property and trailered it for the occasional trail run. The 2FE was still running good. I plan to swap it over to another clean 62 I have along with an H55F.... Haven't started at that though.

I assembled another 2FE for the FJ55 I currently tinker with. It was more of a quick bolt up than detailed in this thread. The bottom end was taken to be in good shape and left alone, the head got a quick port job, no cam, no coatings, no Chevy valves. It runs nice, and seems to move the pig quite well, but I'm not hard into the throttle often as the truck rarely sees pavement. The SM420 it's mated to gives it a much different feel than the 62. It was a mad scramble to get the 55 together for a SW Utah trip (2018?) and since then the engine has been rock solid as I've continued to pick away at other things needing attention on it.

Last edited:
Yes, this has been a GREAT thread.

I've read CruisinFJ60's thread "2F-E Swap for Fiona" which seems to have stalled; Aaron's (tonkota)article in Toyota Trails "FJ62 Version 2F-E"; the report of Jon Stewart's (pappy) project, "Adapting 3FE induction to a 2F in a 1969 FJ40"; Jim Godwin's "Fuel Injection for an Older Land Cruiser"; CardinalFJ60's thread "2F with 3FE head/injection? Real world stories please"; and related threads ""best" 2F ", "Gertrude - 2F high performance rebuild", "1FZ-FE engine into a FJ60". Have I missed any? I feel like I could do this blindfolded. I stress "feel" because it is evident how much knowledge, skill, patience, and care it takes to acheve these results, none of which I have in geat quantities.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, RockDoc, and I hereby apologize. This seemed a better place to post than starting a new thread.

View attachment 470657

Just re-rad this thread and really enjoyed it!

This post looked like a good summary of some of the (in)famous 2FE builds. I could not locate all the references though.

Hope it is okay if I park these links in here @RockDoc ?

View the "CAMSHAFT" thread. See link in my sig.

A 2F-E is easy for a FJ62, not easy for a FJ60.

EDIT:
I really should answer your questions. If you have any more, ask away!

You will need the 2F water pump.
3F-E thermostat housing
Keep the 3F-E accessories mounting points
3F-E Motor mount brackets, the A/C compressor mounts to the motor mount.
Fan Shroud: Currently I am only using 1/2 of the FJ62 shroud. I have a FJ60 shroud sitting in my basement that I hope to fit up here pretty soon. I'll let you know.

Yes, this has been a GREAT thread.

I've read CruisinFJ60's thread "2F-E Swap for Fiona" which seems to have stalled; Aaron's (tonkota)article in Toyota Trails "FJ62 Version 2F-E"; the report of Jon Stewart's (pappy) project, "Adapting 3FE induction to a 2F in a 1969 FJ40"; Jim Godwin's "Fuel Injection for an Older Land Cruiser"; CardinalFJ60's thread "2F with 3FE head/injection? Real world stories please"; and related threads ""best" 2F ", "Gertrude - 2F high performance rebuild", "1FZ-FE engine into a FJ60". Have I missed any? I feel like I could do this blindfolded. I stress "feel" because it is evident how much knowledge, skill, patience, and care it takes to acheve these results, none of which I have in geat quantities.

I didn't realize @tonkota stopped coming around here! Too bad...

Here is all I could find about their 2F-E adventures - not much:

Not really 2F-E, but good info on cams: Camshaft - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/camshaft.214012/

Wonder what Tonkota is up to these days? Looks like they were pretty early to the 2F-E party...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom