2F-E Wagon gets a 4 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a donor 60 sitting in my yard, it has a 4 speed and all the little parts I need to put this into my FJ62 (as far as I know). I know I will loose overdrive, but honestly, I don't drive it enough to make a difference or to warrant spending the money on a 5 speed.

How simple are these 4 speeds?

Could I rebuild it, change any bearings and seals?

Anyone have that section of FSM scanned in?

Is there any reason I should not stick with the 4.11's and 31" tires (may go to something a little taller later like a 235/85 16).

Are there going to be any issues, IE, fabrication at the cross member or will it bolt in pretty well?

From other threads on here my memory is that it is basically the same as installing an H55F in an FJ-62. No first hand knowledge though.

My 2FE 62 is getting an H55F next week from TorFab (I no longer have the time for a project like this myself). I'm running 265/75R16s and 4.56 gears so I'll be turning a little faster than I'd like at 70mph due to the H55F only having a .84 OD (~2850rpm where today I'm at 2600rpm with the A440's .73 OD). I tend to drive 70 a fair bit but I'm just going to run it for a while and see how it goes.

With 30.5 tires, 4.11s and 1:1 4th you'll be turning close to 3200rpm at 70 and 2700rpm at 60. That feels pretty darn high for a 2F short block but if you never drive 70 and only drive 60 occassionally you could just run it and see.

Is there any reason I should not stick with the 4.11's and 31" tires (may go to something a little taller later like a 235/85 16).

With this combination you're going to be geared toward the low side, but if you're not running at 65-70 mph it won't matter. Otherwise you may see the need to make a change somewhere - higher gears, taller tires, or H55F. My 3FE'd 60 is set up with a H42, 4.11s, and 33s and this combination is still a little undergeared for running at 70 for long periods, at least in my opinion, because the engine is spinning at somewhere around 3K.

That is a little high, but not too bad. I don't drive this thing on the freeway at all. Some highway trips, but no more than an hour most likely. Sounds ok to me. Especially if I go up to a 235/85 16, which I would really like to do.

Thanks guys!

Now to hide some cash for a OEM clutch and related parts. I plan on replacing the u-joints in the drivelines and having them balanced, clean up the transmission, and maybe replace the master/slave if they are questionable.

Nice! I have just started the same project. I also have a complete donor and plan on changing everything from the block to the thirds--and eventually the block as well! What clutch components are you keeping, and what are you replacing?

I will replace as many parts as needed, I plan on a new clutch (every related item in there) and u-joints. And will decide at the time of install if I need anything else. Some of that stuff is a little easier to change out, so if it looks ok, I might try it out first. I'm keeping my FJ62 t-case.

That is a little high, but not too bad. I don't drive this thing on the freeway at all. Some highway trips, but no more than an hour most likely. Sounds ok to me. Especially if I go up to a 235/85 16, which I would really like to do.

Thanks guys!

Now to hide some cash for a OEM clutch and related parts. I plan on replacing the u-joints in the drivelines and having them balanced, clean up the transmission, and maybe replace the master/slave if they are questionable.

Normally I use OEM whenever possible. I was planning on an OEM clutch but after discussing with Tor I'm going with a Napa lifetime warranty for half the price for my conversion. I remember having a clutch done for my wife's Acura many years ago (I refused to work on that car since it wasn't a Toyota) and the Acura dealer explicitly told us to go aftermarket :meh:

I have a donor 60 sitting in my yard, it has a 4 speed and all the little parts I need to put this into my FJ62 (as far as I know). I know I will loose overdrive, but honestly, I don't drive it enough to make a difference or to warrant spending the money on a 5 speed.

How simple are these 4 speeds?

Could I rebuild it, change any bearings and seals?

Anyone have that section of FSM scanned in?

Are there going to be any issues, IE, fabrication at the cross member or will it bolt in pretty well?

You'll need to fab up mounts on the frame to bolt the crossmember for the 4 speed. the crossmembers for the auto and manual are in different spots. I'm making mine from 1/4 angle. cut the angle as wide as the crossmember. jack the tranny up with the CM on. get it centered and weld the brackets (4) on the frame, drill holes to match the CM, weld nuts on the top side of the mounts, bolt up the CM. I haven't done it yet, but thats my plan

You'll need to fab up mounts on the frame to bolt the crossmember for the 4 speed. the crossmembers for the auto and manual are in different spots. I'm making mine from 1/4 angle. cut the angle as wide as the crossmember. jack the tranny up with the CM on. get it centered and weld the brackets (4) on the frame, drill holes to match the CM, weld nuts on the top side of the mounts, bolt up the CM. I haven't done it yet, but thats my plan

OK. I was wondering about that....I'll have to borrow the welder again from my uncle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom