H55 Rebuild, Scratching my head here... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
In the process of buttoning back up my late 80's H55 and associated split case. In addition to swapping input shafts (thanks to help from Georg at Valley Hybrids), I opted to throw in new synchros and seals.

I'm now hung up on what seems like excessive thrust/play of the counter shaft. I've been following the FSM closely, and don't believe I've omitted any parts. Yet with the 5th Counter Gear cluster slid onto the counter shaft, and beginning to tighten up the stake nut, it's like the nut bottoms out before all the slop is taken up. Here are a few pics:

This shows the end of the counter shaft on the forward facing (input) end. That gap between the snap ring and tranny housing is about .080"... The bearing is fully seated onto the shaft but slides somewhat easily in the tranny housing.

This is the rearward facing (output) side of the counter shaft. See how the stake nut appears to be too far out? Yet the spline gear underneath is fully seated and the nut won't install any further.

So I'm stuck. Logic tells me that I could reduce the slop and thrust by further tightening that stake nut, yet I've already tightened the heck out of that nut, in addition to tapping the spline gear on, and it is as fully seated as it can be. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
One thing that occurred to me: the FSM shows some kind of a bearing cap on the front counter shaft bearing. My bearing did have what looked like a metal dust shield installed, I.e. it didn't come apart when I disassembled the tranny.

I think this jives with what's shown in the manual, but perhaps I'm missing more of Washer/Spacer piece? Are the items in red, below, the same piece?

I don’t have my h55f pics with me, but I’m pretty sure that’s not the right nut on the end of that countershaft. That style of nut doesn’t really make sense for that location and there should only be about 3/4” of exposed thread at the end of the shaft before you install the nut.

Toyota sells snap rings in three different thicknesses for the front of the shaft. THe difference between each one is only like 0.1mm, however.

Also, do I remember correctly that the countershaft bearings have a removable inner race? I think that’s what you’re seeing in the scematic and not an additional thrust washer. There shouldn’t be an additional thrust washer between the gear and the front bearing.

Last edited:
What does the FSM call for on torque for the nut?
94 ft-lbs, I believe. I have not torqued it to that as it just doesn't seem to have room left to snug down. I guess I could try?

... Appreciate the response, @Splangy . I bought the stake nuts in a rebuild kit from Georg (@orangefj45 ), maybe he'll chime in if I have the wrong nut there.

The other thing that changed is the 5th counter gear itself. My 5th gear and its mating counter gear were chipped and in terrible shape - Georg hooked me up with a matching pair. I can't imagine there being any difference between the two counter gears, but I'll throw some calipers on each to investigate.

Do you have Georg’s phone number? If not I can pm it to you, Georg has almost immediately responded to my texts (and I’m only a one time customer). Maybe a pic texted to him will get you a quick response.

I'll do some more noodling before calling Georg. He's been very tolerant with my ignorance over the past few years!

Are you sure there weren’t two nuts in the kit and the one you have pictured is actually for the rear of the mainshaft?
SOLVED! The kit I got seems to be missing the correct stake nut. I went back and inspected those I obliterated when dissembling and you're correct... this particular nut has a lower height.

I'll still need to confirm the thrust issue, but this makes me feel better. Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom