Front Axle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's up to you. You can work the grease out of the birf, or you can separate the birf. If you decide to separate them, you might want to get new c clips just in case. It's a rabbit hole thing, but it's not that deep.

rebuilding the left front knuckle on my FJ43. Restorers didn't include cone washers on hub assembly, and that caused things to fall apart while driving. So, on that, I can't seem to find a replacement kit for those smaller bolts and cone washers (I can find the larger ones that go on the arm up top and below the knuckle. Any ideas out there?

rebuilding the left front knuckle on my FJ43. Restorers didn't include cone washers on hub assembly, and that caused things to fall apart while driving. So, on that, I can't seem to find a replacement kit for those smaller bolts and cone washers (I can find the larger ones that go on the arm up top and below the knuckle. Any ideas out there?

BOLT, STUD (FOR FRONT AXLE OUTER SHAFT FLANGE)​

90116-08325

WASHER, CONE (FOR FRONT AXLE SHAFT)​

42323-60010

You can get those from any Toyota dealer.

Your restorer didn't install the cone washers holding the steering arms on? If so, that's some scary stuff.

So, assuming I have a brake fluid leak, what parts do I need to get adress that? Do I need new calipers or just a rebuild kit with some new seals. I'd like to just fix it all while in there.

On a positive note, I'm getting a pretty good start on my needed tools, parts, and supplies gathered up.

20240207_080945.jpg

I actually did my free wheeling hubs first and put it all back together. Had a few broken /missing bolts and found a Warn rebuild kit (gaskets o rings and bolts ) .

BOLT, STUD (FOR FRONT AXLE OUTER SHAFT FLANGE)​

90116-08325

WASHER, CONE (FOR FRONT AXLE SHAFT)​

42323-60010

You can get those from any Toyota dealer.
awesome! Found them at MarlinCrawler.com. Thanks for the note. Related to this, I'm replacing stuff that was obviously damaged - threads to the spindle, the flange especially, the 54mm nuts within the hub. The splines on the CV took a little scoring...but I'm kind of on the fence on whether to replace it. The assembly up to the dust cover has been seemingly recently done, and I'd think if I break it down further, that'll drive replacement of all kinds of stuff downstream. Any advice is welcome.

Tear it all apart and assemble it correctly. No telling what else they screwed up. The knuckles have to be centered on the axle housing. With something as basic as missing cone washers, I doubt they did anything correctly.

Your restorer didn't install the cone washers holding the steering arms on? If so, that's some scary stuff.
Not the arms, the hub assembly that mounts to the rotor, where the hub flange mounts on top. Nonetheless, yeah, I bought this from a dealer who seemed to know a lot about the resto...and it certainly looked good everywhere else

Is it weird that I didn't have cone washers on my hub. Had these though.

20240216_180251.jpg

good luck. keep us posted on your progress. this is a very common job and if you find yourself stuck just ask. many folks here have done this job many time and will have seen most pitfalls you might encounter. it’s really not hard. go slow and keep organized. this will give you confidence that you can do the work on your own truck. it’s fun to learn. i think i need to do it on my newest acquisition myself!

This is also a good time to measure the thickness of the brake disk. If they need replacing this is a good time to consider it. On jobs that are my first time. I use sandwich bags and a sharpie and label everything as it comes off and numerically label the bag. Pic may help. Get a small tub to clean everything. It's a lot work but doable.

My knuckle ball has a pretty defined ridge around it. Is that normal/OK?

20240217_125207.jpg

It's not just a line of grit and grime, but pretty definite lip/ridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom