Front Axle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the exact opposite experience and confirmed with vendor I purchased kit from which included shims that removal would increase preload

I removed one shim from bottom torqued to spec and pre-load increased.
Yeah, I questioned my thoughts right after I posted that, I need to go dig into the FSM in a bit. This gas been covered thoroughly in the pages of mud.

20240218_133113.jpg

If he's of he's at 3.58 pounds, he's on the light side. Not enough to really matter though. It's not an F1 car.

Yeah, I questioned my thoughts right after I posted that, I need to go dig into the FSM in a bit. This gas been covered thoroughly in the pages of mud.

the notion that decreasing shims = increase load was not intuitive to me and to this day I dont see the relationship between shims and pre-load but have accepted the cause/effect.....pulled that knuckle half a dozen times and tried increase/decrease etc trying to make sense of it.

I understand how removing shims can increase pre-load. The more shims that are in there the less pressure the top and bottom plate can put on the bearings. Making it easier to move the knuckle back and forth Correct?
I am just a little concerned it will make my axle off-center and create premature wear on my inner axle seal. I think I'm going to remove the shims, measure them with a caliper and try to decrease the shim thickness the same amount on top as I do on bottom.

I am just a little concerned it will make my axle off-center and create premature wear on my inner axle seal. I think I'm going to remove the shims, measure them with a caliper and try to decrease the shim thickness the same amount on top as I do on bottom.

They only way to know for sure if the knuckle is centered is to use the tool. Right now you're relying on those who have been in there b4, which is not uncommon. It may have been the factory. Keep in mind the adjustments are small. Are you using stk inner seals or Marlin double lip seals.

Per my last post, The FSM says to remove from the top and bottom equally. I would want to get a proper preload, over time new bearings will wear in and loosen up.

Thanks. Ya. I'm hoping to get in the proper range of pre-load at least.
Pretty sure it was the factory bearings. There is still DOT inspection rings on the brake lines that read 2/77.
I'm using whatever seals and bearings Cruiser Outfitters sent in the kit.

Headed back out to the garage now.

OK. I removed .25 mm worth of shim from both top and bottom. Re-torqued, and checked pre-load again. Got between 10 and 11lbs now, so I'm within spec. Pretty comfortable with that. On to the other side this evening.

Last edited:
I'm replacing all of my tie rod ends, rebounding the center arm and replacing my steering box with a rebuilt one. Could someone direct me to a good thread on how to get everything back installed at least close to alignment?

I'm replacing all of my tie rod ends, rebounding the center arm and replacing my steering box with a rebuilt one. Could someone direct me to a good thread on how to get everything back installed at least close to alignment?
Would be a good idea to measure your tre’s post to post while still on the tie rods. That’ll get you close.

Don’t rely on counting threads when removing as different manufacturers are different lengths.

Make yourself a set of toe in jigs out of aluminum angle. That should get you the rest of the way.
IMG_8747.jpeg
IMG_8748.jpeg

On another note. I got in a hurry packing bearings and packed my wheel bearings with the same molly grease as the knuckle bearings. Oops. Should I de-gease them and repack with the high temp or leave them? What's better?
really? moly is supposed to be really good for pressure and heat from my reading
I will be the 1st to admit that I do not really know the answer to this conundrum…but I do remember reading on MUD that ‘someone’ on this forum was extremely confident that mixing the grease was NOT a problem.

And sorry to say but I don’t remember who this ‘someone’ was…but whoever it was, was very well respected and was usually right on when it came to mechanics etc. Might have been Tools R Us…or similar. Someone that knew what he was talking about.🤔🤔🤔

I will be the 1st to admit that I do not really know the answer to this conundrum…but I do remember reading on MUD that ‘someone’ on this forum was extremely confident that mixing the grease was NOT a problem.

And sorry to say but I don’t remember who this ‘someone’ was…but whoever it was, was very well respected and was usually right on when it came to mechanics etc. Might have been Tools R Us…or similar. Someone that knew what he was talking about.🤔🤔🤔

I went ahead and cleaned out the molly grease and repacked with the high temp grease. Just to be safe.

I'm also going to need a new steering damper. I'm pretty sure the one I took off is 47 years old. I'd like as close to oem look and mount as possible. Is the Monroe SC2916 a good option. Don't really want to fork out $200 plus for an oem if there is something decent. Also looks like JT Outfitters has one. Anybody try this one or have thoughts on it? Thanks
From what I have gleaned, the damper isn’t super important as long as everything else is in check.

I don’t remember where I got my replacement but it’s nothing special. Proper caster, toe in and fresh everything else has made the real difference..

From what I have gleaned, the damper isn’t super important as long as everything else is in check.
I ran my 40 for about 4 or 5 years without the steering damper, honestly I don't think it made $100 difference when I finally installed one.

Just my experience.

I just did this. you need to clamp something onto front brake rotors or drums both sides, then adjust center link until straight or slightly toed-in. I used aluminum angle as its generally pretty true.

EDIT: A couple pics...

IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom